• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid location options/opinions

Jan 7, 2019
NL
I have a 2012 800 High Country and after swapping to a 2.6 track I was looking at options to relocate the skid. The track currently clears the tunnel and cooler underneath however it is close and i'm sure the track will strike the tunnel/cooler at times when riding aggressively. After an extensive search I have found that the options are to re drill the front mount to the 13 location, and drop the skid however there are concerns highlighted which include stabbing the track without an anti stab and the steeper approach angle, or drill to the 14 location and use the relocation bracket from MVM (same as zbros) to lower and push the skid further back. Currently running ice age rails with stock suspension arms and a 2.6 powerclaw. Looking for some opinions and advise from people that have relocated the skid on a 2012 model or have rode all 3 positions (12, 13, and 14-up). Only concern regarding either relocation would be the strength of the tunnel and rear brackets as well as running/not running the anti stab.

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden
I would use anti-stab no matter what position, is there a reason not to?

When did they change the length of the rail? They are shorter on -15, but don't remember if it was -14 also?
If they are -12 length im thinking that they will be to long and you have to adjust mounting to compensate for that?

Im not sure if it's because the -15 M6000 is less agressive then my -13 M800 but the -15 is years ahead on climbing up on the snow compared to my excavator so if possible I would go for the -15 position.

M800 -13, Speedwerx full exhaust, PCV. BC WT 660T -06

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
They shortened the rails in 14 when they moved the skid back. The 12-13 rails will not fit in the 14 location.

Jan 7, 2019
NL
They shortened the rails in 14 when they moved the skid back. The 12-13 rails will not fit in the 14 location.

I could be wrong, but isn't the 141 High Country rails the same from 12-15? I do know the M changed but unsure if the High country rails changed. It looks like 13 and 14 part numbers for the high country are the same and the 14 came mounted the same as the M's.

In the end, I guess there is no harm in running the anti stab, I would just be curious to know what position is preferred on the skid location.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Your probably right I'm talking 153/162 sorry

Brent7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2017
La Grande, Or.
I relocated my 12 M to the 14 position when I put a new track on. Was able to make it work with new drivers. My track was a little tight and had no adjustment. When I bent my rails I went with 14 rails to make it right.

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
I have a 2012 Procross that is now basically a High Country (recently added the 16 front end too). Long time a go I moved the skid to the 2014 M position, lower and back. However, I also added the rear tunnel brackets from a 14 M. Really like it setup this way.

Jan 7, 2019
NL
I have a 2012 Procross that is now basically a High Country (recently added the 16 front end too). Long time a go I moved the skid to the 2014 M position, lower and back. However, I also added the rear tunnel brackets from a 14 M. Really like it setup this way.

Were you able to complete the relocation to the 14 M position on the stock 2012 141 rails, or are new (shorter) rails needed to compensate for the skid being pushed further back? After evaluating the options I think i'm going to go with the 14 position and buy new rear tunnel brackets as well. Thanks for the info.

Premium Features