• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for riding help on Proclimb;

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have a 2014(16 front end) 162 with camo 3 inch and with K-Mod suspension. I do not get to the mountains as much as I would like so I do not have that many rides on this sled. I have been riding for close to 30 years and came off an M series. What I have a difficult time doing is controlling sled on up hill deep and steep conditions. While going up a deep snow hill with trees you get to the point where you are losing speed and need to turn out or side hill. I will jump on the up hill side while sled is still going basically up and slight to left or right. The sled will start going the way I want and start to side hill then all of a sudden it will turn up hill and I am stuck shortly after. My feet position (mid tunnel wrong ft)is what is turning the sled back up hill. I am riding the way I have rode the mountains for years to turn out of a climb. I believe I need to stay straddled on sled and wait until the sled is in a full blown side hill to move to the up hill side with the proclimb. I have not played with the coupling as it is set on number one position, do not think that would help.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Yep get forward with your feet so you are right up to the foot wells. This was the biggest change I noticed moving from the M series to the Proclimb. Running the 2016 front spindles and 162 Kmod as well on mine. I rarely ever get out of the #1 coupler position. Used #2 maybe 5 times in the last two seasons when I was climbing up something or trying to get out of a hole in a hairy uphill situation. I usually keep a foot on each running board until after I've made the turn and am really getting into the sidehill.

Nextime

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2009
Audubon, iowa
Is your kmod on floats or raptor shock's? I have a 2012 with 16 front end and kmod with floats. Try getting more forward on sled. I always run on the number 1 coupler.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
The sled will start going the way I want and start to side hill then all of a sudden it will turn up hill and I am stuck shortly after. My feet position (mid tunnel wrong ft)is what is turning the sled back up hill. I am riding the way I have rode the mountains for years to turn out of a climb. I believe I need to stay straddled on sled and wait until the sled is in a full blown side hill to move to the up hill side with the proclimb.

can you counter steer out of the washout? I think in 15 or 16 they did something in the steering that lets you steer (or counter steer) a little sharper. before that, the "wyo mod" sounded like a must have for steep sidhilling.
my foot stays forward much as possible if its trying to turn up. handlebar riser vertical, not angled back at all will help you stay on top of it.
and not to blame skis for everything but I had trouble with stock skis catching and throwing my lines off. grippers or Mohawks are so much more predictable.
skinny boards and wyo mod would be on my list if I had an older proclimb.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
as stated get farther forward on the boards, in my experience the proclimb is very sensitive to foot placement. I rode an m series for 8 years before my proclimb, theres definitely a learning curve.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
SledBrain2, I have the same problem that you describe.

"I will jump on the up hill side while sled is still going basically up and slight to left or right. The sled will start going the way I want and start to side hill then all of a sudden it will turn up hill and I am stuck shortly after".

Looking back at my stucks over the years, they all look just as you describe. I thought it was just me and mine may even be worse, due to having a 153" x 3" track.

So, it sounds like the trick is staying as far forward a possible and probably keeping your telescopic handlebars as low and forward as possible?

Maybe swapping to a fixed bar set up might help move us further forward?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
When my 14 had the stock adj. post it was always in the lowest position possible then I had the 2" rox risers pushing the bars straight forward so the bars were 2" forward from stock. I believe this definitely help to keep me forward on the sled which in turn help'd the washing out/turning uphill. Now I have the hcr fixed post with a 2" riser on it. Height comes out to roughly 2" lower than the adj. post all the way down. I'm 6' and it may be a bit low for stand up riding in flat ground, but technical riding and climbing it is great. I to have a 153 and being a bit of a fatty the sled loves to pull the skis up in climbs so the low bars helps keep more weight forward.

I've also added the cat pro mtn skinny boards and pulled my side panels in. Then I cut the plastic out at the front edge of the running boards even with the tube like on the '17 mtn cat and newer sled which gives you a tiny bit more room to get your feet more forward when side hilling. Not a major change, but all this adds up to making a great sidehiller in my experience.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
SledBrain2, I have the same problem that you describe.

"I will jump on the up hill side while sled is still going basically up and slight to left or right. The sled will start going the way I want and start to side hill then all of a sudden it will turn up hill and I am stuck shortly after".

Looking back at my stucks over the years, they all look just as you describe. I thought it was just me and mine may even be worse, due to having a 153" x 3" track.

So, it sounds like the trick is staying as far forward a possible and probably keeping your telescopic handlebars as low and forward as possible?

Maybe swapping to a fixed bar set up might help move us further forward?

I have the 2 in forward handle bar (Rasmussen) adapter. Straddling tunnel is just something I have a hard time trusting while climbing. I need to re-train myself. I would guess the 3 inch track probably exaggerates this sensitivity with weight on the tunnel.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Update: rode 4 days in great snow

Got to ride sled in north central CO (buff pass and rabbit ears) for 4 days. They have great snow with a good base. This time while climbing through deep snow I got as far forward as I could. I would either lean or wrong foot forward, as soon as I felt track taking up hill I would immediately jump to both ft on boards forward position, the sled would keep going where I wanted it to go. Basically I have learned to anticipate and get ahead of the terrain so to speak. I had the best time riding this past week than I have in a long time, few stuck's and great over the hood powder. The belt drive with 3 inch camo track really seemed to be a great combo for the snow conditions, I had confidence to drop into deep snow side hill with trees waiting to suck me into a long and draw out un-stuck session.

Premium Features