• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo axys piston change interval

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Looking at a 16 turbo axys.
Tss/boost-it with a redline controller.
When should pistons be changed?
It has 1670 miles.
From what I seen on my friends stock pro I say 1500 miles on a non HO 800.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Looking at a 16 turbo axys.
Tss/boost-it with a redline controller.
When should pistons be changed?
It has 1670 miles.
From what I seen on my friends stock pro I say 1500 miles on a non HO 800.

The old 800 that came in the Pro chassis is no comparison to the 800HO. Knock on wood, but I put 1,500 boosted miles on my 800HO last season, and a compression check at the end of the season showed good compression in #1 & #2

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
My 16 axys has a mtntk turbo with 1600 miles and both cylinders showed 110psi at 4500 ft which is excellent. I took the sled up to mtntk to have some work done on it and decided to do there fix it kit while it was there. It ended up being a good thing as both pistons had a lot of wear according to Sean at mtntk.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
My 16 axys has a mtntk turbo with 1600 miles and both cylinders showed 110psi at 4500 ft which is excellent. I took the sled up to mtntk to have some work done on it and decided to do there fix it kit while it was there. It ended up being a good thing as both pistons had a lot of wear according to Sean at mtntk.
Thanks for the reply. What Sean found is the info I was looking for. Compression test on a two stroke motor is a lousy indicator for checking the condition of the pistons. It doesn't tell you what clearance they are at.
It needs disassembled and pistons measured.

Did he say what the clearance had increased to?

Last edited:

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the reply. What Sean found is the info I was looking for. Compression test on a two stroke motor is a lousy indicator for checking the condition of the pistons. It doesn't tell you what clearance they are at.
It needs disassembled and pistons measured.

Did he say what the clearance had increased to?

Nope just said they were not good at all. Originally Sean did not push me to do the kit either, I decided to do it on my own after reading to many horror stories. Some will go 4000 miles and others not much over 1000. Glad I decided to do it. Your right to, compression does not tell squat on piston shape.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Keep in mind that elevation also plays BIG in with compression readings-and doesn't do much for what your looking for.

I tore my16 turbo Axys down this summer with 2K boosted miles @ 7lbs just for grins....
There is not a magic mileage number any longer,and all my finding were in spec with respect to piston wear and zero scuffing.
After closer inspection, I discovered a nasty gouge in the wrist pin, so dodged a bullet there.

If your going to do it, (IMHO) do it right and send the mono block to Indy Spec and have the HG7 hone done to it.
I had them spec out the ring gap on the new pistons to the honed block,while it was there.

Axys pin..jpg

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Unless you know the piston is damaged, or the compression is significantly different from one side to the other, I wouldn’t worry about it until at least 2,000 miles.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Keep in mind that elevation also plays BIG in with compression readings-and doesn't do much for what your looking for.

I tore my16 turbo Axys down this summer with 2K boosted miles @ 7lbs just for grins....
There is not a magic mileage number any longer,and all my finding were in spec with respect to piston wear and zero scuffing.
After closer inspection, I discovered a nasty gouge in the wrist pin, so dodged a bullet there.

If your going to do it, (IMHO) do it right and send the mono block to Indy Spec and have the HG7 hone done to it.
I had them spec out the ring gap on the new pistons to the honed block,while it was there.

View attachment 297370

I installed the mtntk fix kit on my last two pros and they worked awesome. Not saying indy Dan's is not good because I know it is but mtntk makes a quality product.

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
Unless you know the piston is damaged, or the compression is significantly different from one side to the other, I wouldn’t worry about it until at least 2,000 miles.

I like the sound of this I used to run my turbo 1000 1500to 2000 miles on pistons I wonder what is common on the boondocker axys. Thanks

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I like the sound of this I used to run my turbo 1000 1500to 2000 miles on pistons I wonder what is common on the boondocker axys. Thanks

No experience with the boondocker but I had 1650 on my 16' silber axys with no problems. I got rid of it before doing a leak down but had no plans to do a top end before this year.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
not me... stock has dun me right so when I slide a new set in it will be what came out because it worked! just don't need to "fix a problem" that's not their and don't want to save a few $$$ just to find out it wasn't worth it when my crank eats a piston skirt :(

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
not me... stock has dun me right so when I slide a new set in it will be what came out because it worked! just don't need to "fix a problem" that's not their and don't want to save a few $$$ just to find out it wasn't worth it when my crank eats a piston skirt :(

So how many miles are you at ?

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I remember a post by Ride Whistler a few weeks back about them inspecting the pistons/cylinders on a Silber boosted 800HO rental that had 4000 KM on it. Pistons/cylinder looked in excellent condition. Seems like the 800HO is a great motor to boost stock.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
I have just about 1500 miles on my 17 with about 200 on a silber. Lost compression last year half way through the trip. Put new pistons and rings in as well as reeds.. I put about 20 miles on at home at 1000ft elevation afterwards. Hopefully it lives for 1500 miles. I'm kinda worried honestly ! Ha

Premium Features