• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

shovels

bighillm7

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
Central Iowa
I ordered a BCA dozer shovel and just found out they were out and would not be getting anymore until next season!! Does anyone else make a dozer type shovel? What or who has the next best or maybe even better than the bca?

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Last edited:
J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
There are a lot of other shovels that have a hoe mode if that's what you like about the Dozer. I have two BCA D2s along with a variety of other shovels. I have played with the hoe mode a lot during companion rescue drills but I don't know how much I'd actually use it in a real event unless everyone was well coordinated. Chopping snow is a lot easier with a regular shovel but moving snow is easy in either mode.

Here are some alternatives:
Mammut Alugator Pro
Ortovox Kodiak Shovel
Black Diamond Evac 7

I don't really care for the Black Diamond shovel or any others with a neck that sticks up above the blade. They don't pack very well in smaller tool pockets or backpacks.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I don't know about review situations, but the hoe mode is fantastic, IMO, when digging out stuck sleds.

There are a lot of other shovels that have a hoe mode if that's what you like about the Dozer. I have two BCA D2s along with a variety of other shovels. I have played with the hoe mode a lot during companion rescue drills but I don't know how much I'd actually use it in a real event unless everyone was well coordinated. Chopping snow is a lot easier with a regular shovel but moving snow is easy in either mode.

Here are some alternatives:
Mammut Alugator Pro
Ortovox Kodiak Shovel
Black Diamond Evac 7

I don't really care for the Black Diamond shovel or any others with a neck that sticks up above the blade. They don't pack very well in smaller tool pockets or backpacks.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I don't know about review situations, but the hoe mode is fantastic, IMO, when digging out stuck sleds.

That's true and probably when I actually use hoe mode the most too. You should try some companion rescue drills soon to see what you think about the two different modes. Try a strategic shoveling exercise in hard snow to get a good idea of what real avalanche debris is like, something like a snowplow debris pile.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I ordered a BCA dozer shovel and just found out they were out and would not be getting anymore until next season!! Does anyone else make a dozer type shovel? What or who has the next best or maybe even better than the bca?

Cannon Powersports - 507-263-4532

Ask for Michelle or Randy!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Love my BCA Dozer. Never used it for an avvy rescue but hoe mode is great for clearing under runningboards.

Last trip though, the little metal push tabs were frozen one time and I couldn’t release the blade to switch into hoe mode. Could have also been the sliding tubes were frozen together.

Going to place some short pieces if bicycle innertube over the tabs and be more aware of wiping off excess snow/moisture when sliding the pieces together.

Premium Features