• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new main forum format?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
In the past when you clicked on "SW snowmobile forum", you came to a page with a few clusters like arctic cat (under which you could choose turbo, browse all, M series, etc) and local riding areas (under which you could choose state)

For me, now all those clusters are gone, and any time I want to get into a sled forum I've got to choose the brand, wait for that page to load, then choose the subforum & wait for that to load, same goes for trying to find the CO forum, it took me 5 minutes just to find it today... and again, takes two page loads to get in.

Is this something I can fix, if not, is it something that can be fixed??!?!

It sounds rather benign, but it's a HUGE waste of time, especially in the off season where you check a few forums rather than spending much time in just one. For those of us with slower connections, it's pretty annoying waiting for two pages to load every time you want to get to somewhere.

IMO anything that makes navigation harder/ slower, will cost you posts & traffic, which can't be a good thing. (not trying to assume this was done on purpose right now, might be just my stinkin computer messin with me :D)

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have the exact same forum layout as you. Hopefully its temporary as Christopher performs site upgrades. I read about the upgrades in the "Our Forum Has Shrunk Again" thread in this section.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here's the deal.
More members were commenting on the WIDTH of the overall forums being an issue for them.

So yesterday we started looking for anything we could do to NARROW down the display.

We were at 1,440 pixels minimum width.
By making several changes we will pull that down to around 1,250 or less.
Hopefully that will stop anyone from having to Scroll Left to Right to see the forum content.

One of those space saving measures was to remove the Level 2 and Level 3 forum tree display.

When I first came to Snowest in 2008 they only displayed the Level 1 tree.
I turned ON level 2 & 3 and everyone complained that it CLUTTERED up the main display. But I thought it would make navigation MUCH easier.

Now that I have returned it to how it was, people are complaining! :face-icon-small-hap

Harris has agreed to make some changes to how the ads are displayed on the right side of the forums. Those changes should further reduce the over all width. If that gets us below our target, I will turn the Level 2 & 3 displays back on again.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Here's the deal.
More members were commenting on the WIDTH of the overall forums being an issue for them.

So yesterday we started looking for anything we could do to NARROW down the display.

We were at 1,440 pixels minimum width.
By making several changes we will pull that down to around 1,250 or less.
Hopefully that will stop anyone from having to Scroll Left to Right to see the forum content.

One of those space saving measures was to remove the Level 2 and Level 3 forum tree display.

When I first came to Snowest in 2008 they only displayed the Level 1 tree.
I turned ON level 2 & 3 and everyone complained that it CLUTTERED up the main display. But I thought it would make navigation MUCH easier.

Now that I have returned it to how it was, people are complaining! :face-icon-small-hap

Harris has agreed to make some changes to how the ads are displayed on the right side of the forums. Those changes should further reduce the over all width. If that gets us below our target, I will turn the Level 2 & 3 displays back on again.

Any chance of this being an option?? Considering the size of the subforums though... and how huge the forums are now (the writing I mean), I simply don't see how this accomplishes the goal you mention, but I get the idea.

Either way, now that we HAVE the subforums (which is what folks complained about) making ti so we have to go through 2 page loads to get ANYWHERE really is a pain in the a**... and is pretty counterproductive from a standpoint of the goal of a forum admin, which should be #1, keeping the customer, but #2 maintaining a level of traffic for the advertisers, which is most easily gauged by post counts which will decline when people waste their time navigating instead of posting.

Not that I've got an opinion about it or anything :D ... I'm a pretty non opinionated guy in general...:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
Premium Features