• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D7 Flywheel help

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Just had a 2008 D7 break the recoil starter assembly and the broken ratchet seems to have marred up the tabs on the outer edge of the flywheel. Is this a problem requiring a replacement flywheel or should I just install the new starter recoil assy and call it good? The flywheel is almost $400 new. If so how the hell do I remove the thing?! It's bending my puller.

IMG_0275.jpg IMG_0273.jpg

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Meaning if it's out of balance it will be very noticeable? Even if not too much material has been shaved, would it be noticeable or could it slowly eat the bearings??

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Meaning if it's out of balance it will be very noticeable? Even if not too much material has been shaved, would it be noticeable or could it slowly eat the bearings??

I was talking about the timing being picked up by the sensor. I wouldn't worry about the balance part.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
holy cow that thing exploded...I wouldnt worry about balance either..but I would worry about timing issues from cylinder to cylinder..if it doesnt run perfect when back togeather I would change it....

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
How does the timing work anyhow? I've never really thought much about timing in these. They have a magnet imbedded in the flywheel or what?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
How does the timing work anyhow? I've never really thought much about timing in these. They have a magnet imbedded in the flywheel or what?

nope..it is a magnetic trigger sticking out in the lump under the cover..as the peice sticking out off the flywheel comes by it ,it collapses the feild and triggers the ignition..thats why I would be concerned..with the end damaged like it is it might alter the trigger point...

Premium Features