• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help tuning up ‘08

H

HAYSTAX

Feb 1, 2010
Diamond Valley, NV
Help tuning up ‘08

After sitting for a few years I’ve been working on getting my ‘08 800 running again. Cleaned carbs, replaced tank, grommets, new plugs, new gas, etc...

The sled seems to Start and run fine, idle isn’t great but what really has me confused is the sudden “hit” and rapid acceleration at 5500-6000rpm. It runs strong and pulls like new to 8100rpm but the sudden power delivery has me stumped.

Basically can’t cruise or follow anyone on trail due to the on-off power delivery at mid range.

I would also like it to idle without dying, are these issues related? Electronic?

Thanks in advance

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The idle issue I'll bet are the pilot jets are plugged. The sudden surge in power makes me wonder if something is sticking in the clutches.

H

HAYSTAX

Feb 1, 2010
Diamond Valley, NV
The idle issue I'll bet are the pilot jets are plugged. The sudden surge in power makes me wonder if something is sticking in the clutches.

I was wondering about the clutch but it seems to like the clutch would cause the engine to over rev and then bog or something like that. It just takes off and hauls ass, like an old 70s 2 stroke motorcycle hitting the powerband.

I pulled the pilots and tried to clean them up, are you supposed to be able to put a torch cleaner all the way through the jet like a main jet or just the small ports on the sides of the jet?

Thanks!

H

HAYSTAX

Feb 1, 2010
Diamond Valley, NV
How do the exhaust valves look? Are the lines to them all in good shape?

I didn’t check the exhaust RAVE? valves, also didn’t check or test any of the electronics. It might make sense that a sticky valve that moved quickly once more vacuum pressure is applied would explain this. It’s hard to describe the condition, it’s just not a linear, usable power delivery at midrange. It seems fine at low end and perfect on top as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to look at that tomorrow. I cannot rule out the possibility of rodent damage to lines or wires. I will look more closely at that

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Most of the time the pilot jets are so small you will not be able to stick anything through them. Either replace them or soak them in some really good carb cleaner for a day and then blow air through them.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Pilot Jets

At $5 each and the capacity to ruin the engine its not worth it to clean them!

Premium Features