• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any answers to fix steering post slop in m8?

Z
Jan 18, 2017
I have a 2010 m8 with the adjustable riser on it. I've read old posts about fixing the steering slop but wondering if lately anyone has any better tips or tricks? Would be nice to figure out without ordering parts, I've heard about shaving the old bushing down and someone I believe said to put a thin conduit inside the old bushing to fill the gap. Either of these work? Otherwise if getting an aftermarket parts or bushing, what's the best solution? I looked at a bdx I believe for about 70 bucks... thanks for any input!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I had luck with just tighting the bolts that hold the bushing together and that reduced the play enough for me, however I have seen those BDX bushings on Amazon for like 45$. check it out

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
I had luck with just tighting the bolts that hold the bushing together and that reduced the play enough for me, however I have seen those BDX bushings on Amazon for like 45$. check it out

BDX bushing for the win. You can always grind down a little of the stock bushing to make it squeeze tighter on the post, but that only lasts so long and then you are back where you started.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Most of the slop in the adjustable post is in the area that slides up and down. There is not a good way to eliminate the slop with bushings etc. I really like the Z bros adjustment elimination kit. Makes it a fixed post without all the trouble of replacing everything.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Most of the slop in the adjustable post is in the area that slides up and down. There is not a good way to eliminate the slop with bushings etc. I really like the Z bros adjustment elimination kit. Makes it a fixed post without all the trouble of replacing everything.

I agree. I have the Zbroz delete kit with a set of RSI 4" risers and it works very well.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
On mine I did the fixed cat post, modrods bulkhead support/loop brace, and the BDX anti-slop bushing all together and that tightened and strengthened the whole thing up a ton. Nice and stout now.

Z
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks for the replies! Turns out after digging deeper, my steering post was cracked badly and messing around in the garage it broke in half. Good thing it was there and not the mountain.... got a stock bar post replacement with no adjustable riser, bdx anti slop, and a riser block. I'll be putting them in tonight so will post back. Thank you again

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
On mine I did the fixed cat post, modrods bulkhead support/loop brace, and the BDX anti-slop bushing all together and that tightened and strengthened the whole thing up a ton. Nice and stout now.

This is exactly what I did. And it works great. But then the weakest part of your setup is your steering post. You have a very strong bulkhead brace, with no slop from the BDX kit. If you like to jump and fly and just happen to eat handlebars then it bends. So then you get the Canada sled parts steering post and your set!

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Have the bdx brace and xxxmodrods M-rite on my '09 and the stock post still broke. snapped right in half below the bdx brace. Replaced it with the chromoly post from Canadasledparts. Hopefully this one works out!

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
Have the bdx brace and xxxmodrods M-rite on my '09 and the stock post still broke. snapped right in half below the bdx brace. Replaced it with the chromoly post from Canadasledparts. Hopefully this one works out!

Trifecta :face-icon-small-win

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I've got slop in my M8 steering from the ball joint on the bottom being worn. I built my own chromo steering post, using the stock ball joint. Does anyone know if you can get a similar ball joint to replace the stock one? I think there should be something similar available, I don't want to buy a new steering post, just to cut the bottom off to weld onto my chromo shaft

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Turns out after digging deeper, my steering post was cracked badly and messing around in the garage it broke in half.

LOL. And who ever said that fake riding your sled in the garage, making motor noises, didn't accomplish anything?

Premium Features