• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone had a microdiscectomy on there back and went back to riding

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I am going in for surgery on my L-5 S-1 disc on oct 10 the surgeon said i will be back to my everyday life i am just wanting to know if anyone on here has had the and went back to riding.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
A good friend of mine had 3 back surgeries within a year. All for disk issues. One operation he had two fixed at once. I know the past couple years he was slow to get back on his machine, but this year he said his back feels 100% and he just purchased a brand new Polaris Pro-R. The issues he faced the most was failing to commit to Post-Op PT, he had trouble getting motivated to do his percribed exercises, and it didnt help he was 20 or so pound over weight. He's now working out 4-5 days a week and its looking like its going to be a good season for him.
So all n all...you need to talk with your doctor to make sure you can ride before you do. Commit to PT as required. Stay positive, you will be able to ride again. I had rotator cuff surgury last fall and pushed it a little to soon, luckly i didnt effect anything but looking back i should of hung out at camp instead of being in the tree's:wine:

B
Mar 23, 2008
Vancouver Washington
How did your surgery go ? Been going on 2 months on same procedure and pinched nerve is doing better. That surgery hurt so ucking bad post op. I would never do it again but they gave me the wrong dose of pain meds and I suffered so bad.Was going to sell the sled because it has just been sitting but might be able to ride this yr. Nobody understands back pain until you go through it.Hope your getting better snows falling.

F
I feel your pain but not to worry. I had the same exact surgery 4 years ago now on the same discs. I put up with extreme sciatica pain for 2 years before I got the surgery done so recovery might have been longer for me. I was also only 23 years old. They cut me up first part of February 09' and the next winter of 09'-10' I was riding at 100% I felt.
Like ultrasks700 said, If you make sure you do your post surgery therapy you should be back to 100%. The hardest part is staying motivated. All I did was recalled how miserable I was before the surgery and I told myself I never ever wanted to feel like that again.
After my surgery I also started up an exercise program (p90x). And ever since then I have never, EVER had another lower back issue. And I feel great being in such incredible shape. Another exercise I did during recovery is yoga. As silly as it may sound, I believe yoga was the key to my recovery. I am actually one of those people that can say "Yoga Changed My Life" haha. Be sure to ask your doctor though before you start an exercise program or yoga.
Best of luck to you on your recovery and being able to ride again!

Premium Features