• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Push or BD?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Ok so it sounds like hit or miss for the most part. No matter what anyone says you just need to tell jeff to set up a 14 and let you ride it, you need to try one simple as that.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
That's the problem. You should be able to contact the people who made the kit to ask questions and it shouldn't take multiple calls and emails for months to get a kit running right. Like I said above. OVS

Travis and Garr- owners/masterminds of ovs
When you have a problem or question you call ovs not someone else and you talk to the guys who made the kit not only can you call the shop but they put their cell numbers right on the website.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
my choice is OVS then BD...you know these guys will be around next year...and the year after that...and the next and the next...

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
Can you talk to ford or Polaris direct or do you have to buy and service with a dealer?

Last time I checked we were talking about turbos for snowmobiles. To answer your question ford and Polaris needed the help from a second party because they couldn't handle the floods of calls they were getting about their poorly manufactured vehicles/snowmobiles.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
Can you talk to ford or Polaris direct or do you have to buy and service with a dealer?

Now to answer your post a little more serious. Ford probably sold more vehicles last year than BD OVS or any other turbo company did the whole time they've been in business. Same goes for Polaris. So your comparing apples to oranges here. New car sales is on a whole nother level.

Last edited:
S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Saying one turbo is going to walk all over the other turbo is the most ignorant thing written. Every turbo kit is going to run well if set up properly (clutching, gearing, suspension….). Every turbo kit is going to have issues also…so, the most important factor is support. I don't know anybody at BD, but they pick up the phone when I call. I have buddies who know Travis and Garr so they run OVS.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Saying one turbo is going to walk all over the other turbo is the most ignorant thing written. Every turbo kit is going to run well if set up properly (clutching, gearing, suspension….). Every turbo kit is going to have issues also…so, the most important factor is support. I don't know anybody at BD, but they pick up the phone when I call. I have buddies who know Travis and Garr so they run OVS.

Not entirely true. If you've ran turbos for any amount of time, you know the devil is in the details. Voltage issues, mis matched turbo sizing, boost leaks, poor wiring set ups. Some of these company's kits over look the details, which usually leads to a sled that runs good initially or sometimes doesn't run good at all. I know some guys running new tial boondocker setups that were told to unplug the headlights because the add ons required more voltage then the sled was capable of producing. Or poor design on turbo and exhaust location and dealing with it melting stuff. ALL of these kits cost to much money for them not to be truly bolt it on, pull and go. OVS and twisted are by far the best overall designed turbo kits. Twisted uses the nice billet reed boots, OVS has a awesome air box design, both address voltage problems, not to mention little things that just make everything last a lil longer. OVS reed stops, OVS exhaust clamp design.

One exhaust leak
One boost leak
One wire rubbed through
Poor ground
Low voltage
Is all it takes to turn a 275hp turboed sled into a useless piece is SH!t.

Anything done to engineer these problems out of the design is a great step towards a consistent, great running sled.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Here is my point...

I'm on my first turbo install on a cat. I have helped install a nytro push turbo and been around a OVS M8 and a couple Boondockers kits. The nytro push kit was truly a bolt on and go kit that has run flawless for 1500 miles and never been touched.

The other kits all have had problems some big some just minor things. They called the company OVS or Boondocker and it was taken care of for the most part.

Now here I am choosing what turbo to buy for my proclimb and I see a used push tbbt 2860 kit come for sale. I buy it start installing and guess what I have questions.

I know that If I call push that I may not get my questions answered in a timely fashion.

What do I do? Call push a dozen time knowing this my cause a headache? No I Call Jeff Fischer at motorsports plus and MMsports here on snowest because they are knowingly good people that will take time out of their day to help.

You people need to quit wining and if you want to buy a push turbo, by all means buy from a dealer and you will not have problems and if you do you can have someone that will take care of you.

Sorry for the long post!!!!!!!!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
My buddy did the OVs kit on his 14 PC and man that thing workshes running 16# with it but turning it down its to much

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Here is my point...

I'm on my first turbo install on a cat. I have helped install a nytro push turbo and been around a OVS M8 and a couple Boondockers kits. The nytro push kit was truly a bolt on and go kit that has run flawless for 1500 miles and never been touched.

The other kits all have had problems some big some just minor things. They called the company OVS or Boondocker and it was taken care of for the most part.

Now here I am choosing what turbo to buy for my proclimb and I see a used push tbbt 2860 kit come for sale. I buy it start installing and guess what I have questions.

I know that If I call push that I may not get my questions answered in a timely fashion.

What do I do? Call push a dozen time knowing this my cause a headache? No I Call Jeff Fischer at motorsports plus and MMsports here on snowest because they are knowingly good people that will take time out of their day to help.

You people need to quit wining and if you want to buy a push turbo, by all means buy from a dealer and you will not have problems and if you do you can have someone that will take care of you.

Sorry for the long post!!!!!!!!

Here is my point.

Why would anyone want a push when there's other options available?

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Here is my point.

Why would anyone want a push when there's other options available?

The reason I wanted, and bought mine was the sales pitch, both on Push's website and talking to Ken. The innovative design, the clean install, the standard larger sized turbo, with external wastegate, and the price point, which when I made my purchase decision was at $6295 I think.
But the main reason was the standalone ecu that was supposed to eliminate end user tuning. Instead of eliminating it, it ended up just making it more difficult. From what I gathered, there was some sort of conflict with Push turbo and the Precision EFI guys that contributed to this but in the end the customer suffered along with all the bad publicity.
The kit has gotten a bad rep because of this and I would assume sales have suffered significantly as a result.
Bottom line is if you have good dealer support close by that's the kit you should go with.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I have a Push turbo that I bought from Kevin (mmsports) at Hubs Performance. Both he and Dakota Performance have been great to deal with. Kevin always answers both the phone and PMs promptly. Dakota Performance's phone is busy more often than not, but they are very helpful once you get through.

Ken, the owner of Push, is good as well....when you can get a hold of him. That is rare. He almost never answers his phone or calls you back. I have been told by both Kevin and Dakota Performance that they even have trouble getting a hold of him sometimes. This becomes a huge problem when you need parts that they don't have in stock. I ordered some Push parts from Dakota Performance a week and a half ago. They had to order them from Ken. I just called them and they still haven't received them. The parts guy said he has been trying to call Ken all day and can't get a hold of him.

Bottom line, Push makes a pretty good kit and a good dealer helps make up for Ken's complete lack of customer service, but that doesn't help you when you can't get parts from the kit's manufacturer. Granted most turbo parts aren't proprietary, but some are. When you need one that is and you can't get it in the prime of season it will piss you off.

I sure wish I would have went with OVS, Twisted, BD, or Cutler. I would have happier with any of them.

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Having the same problems as above as Bigair stated. Bought my push kit from Kevin as well and Kevin has helped a lot. Kevin is having problem getting parts and piece from Ken as well.

On the fence of which kit to buy when I upgrade to a PC as well. At this rate my hard earned money will not be going to Push Turbos. But Push does have one hell of a fit and finish on the tial RG kit, very nice kit on my buddies '12 PC. Ken has come up with some great ideas on his kits; TBBT, oil cooler tank. Wish he would do a tunnel dump exhaust design.

Just going to throw it out there, anyone have any feedback on the Insta-boost kit from Top Secret Shop

Last edited:

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
Not entirely true. If you've ran turbos for any amount of time, you know the devil is in the details. Voltage issues, mis matched turbo sizing, boost leaks, poor wiring set ups. Some of these company's kits over look the details, which usually leads to a sled that runs good initially or sometimes doesn't run good at all. I know some guys running new tial boondocker setups that were told to unplug the headlights because the add ons required more voltage then the sled was capable of producing. Or poor design on turbo and exhaust location and dealing with it melting stuff. ALL of these kits cost to much money for them not to be truly bolt it on, pull and go. OVS and twisted are by far the best overall designed turbo kits. Twisted uses the nice billet reed boots, OVS has a awesome air box design, both address voltage problems, not to mention little things that just make everything last a lil longer. OVS reed stops, OVS exhaust clamp design.

One exhaust leak
One boost leak
One wire rubbed through
Poor ground
Low voltage
Is all it takes to turn a 275hp turboed sled into a useless piece is SH!t.

Anything done to engineer these problems out of the design is a great step towards a consistent, great running sled.

Gawd ain this the truth!! Can't live with them or without them! Unfort, Im currently in the can't live them camp!

rabbit hunter

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2012
I have the push kit and love it. The little bit of adjustment you have to make to improve the map they have now is simple. I find it hard to believe that most of the people bad mouthing this kit even know someone who has one, much less have ridden one because there are very few on the snow. Any complaints that are legit are probably from guys who got them last season as the maps were not ready, which I would have been pissed about too. If you get the push that is out now you will have perma grin on pump gas as your friends with race gas push buttons trying to keep up.
I've got buddies from your area with Push setups that won't post about it on here, but are very much not happy with the push setup.

I'm POSITIVE there are people from EACH company that are in the same boat though, some are the reason for their own issues, some likely have legit issues... hard to say.

If I had to choose, I'd go with who you have a relationship with though. THE SUPPORT (and having hands on support is huge) is the reason to go one way or the other.

Premium Features