• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's a sad day

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The day started out good bought a 163 track this morning .finished tearing my engine down to install my kit from mtntk performance. Thats when things got sad. 1495 miles on my assault with turned up oil pump and added extra oil in the gas for the last 600 miles. Rings are flaking and my cylinder is cracked. I checked compression before t/d 120 psi and that with a 13/1 PA head. There is .0079 piston clearance on both cylinders isn't polaris specs 4.5 to 5.
I am so glad I quit riding it last spring other wise it would have gone Kaboom.

D
Jan 9, 2011
Minnesota
My 2012 was low on compression at 110-120 like yours. It only had 800 miles on it though and it was an unaltered stock sled. I took it into my dealer and they replaced the cylinder (monoblock) cuz the new pistons they ordered still had a gap of 60 thousandths. From what I can say the cylinders are out of tolerance levels and they need a new manufacturer.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I hope yon mean .006 thousands if not there are trying to put in 440 pistons?
No warranty for me thought poo had the problems solved when I bought the sled --stupid me to thank they would fix it.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
But there is no problem with the motors on the 800's, right?

Sorry, too many people saying there is not a problem. The rings and pistons are crap. I would bet that 50% of every sled over 1200 miles had bad rings and/or pistons. Maybe worse.

Sorry you have taken it in the arse. I didn't have cylinder problems but my rings and pistons looked like hell.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
This is such BullS&*^, only 1500 miles and the motor is toast. You asked the dealer and no help on the cylinder? Andy Dan said the cylinders are out of tolerance from top to bottom. What the hell is a matter with Polaris, making such crappy motors. For 5 year now. Maybe a little better from 08, BUT NOT FIXED. All this talk of long rod motors, piston kits, just to make a $12,000 sled dependable. I've been a Polaris customer all my life, but I'm close to my limit. A blown Yamaha is the only dependable option in the mountains. Sorry for the rant.

Signed,

Nervous to ride my Pro.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
My cylinders were with in .0005 top to bottom and the same with dia. Everything looks good except that crack and the piston to cylinder clearance. I think the cylinders are from china and where made from recycled beer cans. Has any one else had them crack in the transfer port ?

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
BS,
Hey man, sorry to hear about the cracked cylinder, that sucks. What are your thoughts about replacing it, source wise ? You need to get it fixed so I don't have to hear any excuses this winter about why I beat you . . . . (until I tried t ride past that tree . . .)

I was talking to a very reliable source this weekend at the WSSA show who expressed complete confidance in Cat's motors well past 4K before looking inside and expected 5-6 before major work.

I know how frustrated you are with the short life motor, but in the intrest of full disclosure who did you buy the used sled from? And what did he do with it? What did you do to it once it was yours?

I'm not trying to be an ***, I am only pointing out that this sled HAS NOT had a typical life. There are enough hypocondriacs out there without them thinking this is an average experiance with a sled motor.

Anyway get that thing put back together, it's snowing man !!!

Bag

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
after about 1500 miles on a poo 800....redo the pistons, check piston clearance (you may need cylinders also), and go ride for another 1500..that includes the new engines also...sorry, wish it wasn't so...otherwise, a good sled, but you have to make a hard decision, only you can decide...the bottom end isn't exactly bullet-proof either...and cylinder skirts break frequently also...if i decided i needed a pro so bad i was willing to overlook the engine, i would ride about 1500 miles (no, not even 1700), and do a complete rebuild, top and bottom...if that is within your tolerence, then go for it...but don't think that you can wish and hope your way around that turd...

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The mono block will be sent back east to be welded and renick to size for the new pistons.
Yes Bagger it will be ready for riding season as long as my credit card holds out.
I would not say that it has had a easy life but all and all it was made for it by Polaris . I am 100% sure the head and can did not create the crack. As stated before everything looks good but the piston to cylinder clearance is way off for a engine with that low of miles. If polaris states that a p/c should be 4.5 to 005 clearance thats what it should be when it leaves the factory not 7.5 to .008. I do not have specs in front of me so the values may be off but for the enigines I have taking apart they are not even close.
Polaris has never built a 800 engine that can hold together that is why you ride a 450 lbs sled with a 130 hp engine.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
The 2011-2013 pistons are the same.. These pistons are one of the main issue with the cylinder failures, like shown in this thread.
Fix the pistons and the cylinders do just fine.. Let them go and the result is not favorable.

Other issues with the 2011 and most 2012's.. the PTO support bearing.. this is a MAJOR problem and after about 800-1200 miles will begin to wear the crank due to inner race failure (cheap bearing)
There are fixes for this that only cost $140 installed. Well worth it IMO.. but you do have to remove the engine..

Other options include replacing the cheaply built Mape' crank with the better built Fuji crank found in all the 2013 engines.. This is a much more costly "fix" about $1100.00 but after this change your crank will last much longer.

but, in any case, I would replace the pistons with some good pistons and turn the oil pump up to 24:1. This will reduce wear ,considerably ,and actually create some power in process (if you use the right pistons and oil)

Kelsey

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Yes Bagger it will be ready for riding season as long as my credit card holds out.

Glad to hear you have a plan Jim, and knowing you it will rock when it's all back together. I am going to pay attention because D should top 1200 miles this year on her '11. She will still have one year of warrenty left, but it may be smart to gl though it before it has issues. Dunno. She is NOT a hard rider.
D says to tell you you should just give me that muffpot/wetbag/shrimp recipe so I won't keep wrecking chasing you through the trees to steal your lunch!

Bag

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I always try and look at the bright side but this cloud keeps getting in the way. Now I have to wonder about the crank or the bearing see there that cloud again.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Hahaha, poor baby! You could always put NTN on the 'Asshauler' and get back on that kick azz Dragon of yours!

Bag

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
They warrantied your engine just because of low compression? Good Dealer there!

My 2012 was low on compression at 110-120 like yours. It only had 800 miles on it though and it was an unaltered stock sled. I took it into my dealer and they replaced the cylinder (monoblock) cuz the new pistons they ordered still had a gap of 60 thousandths. From what I can say the cylinders are out of tolerance levels and they need a new manufacturer.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I was this close to giving you the shrimp recipe until that last remark talking about Nancy *** and all.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Hahahaha, right !!
Tell ya what, you make the shrimp, I'll bring the cigars and whiskey and if they blow up the girls can go back to camp and call a helo and we'll just sit there until we don't care anymore!:face-icon-small-ton :face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-ton

Bag

Premium Features