• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ho head on m8

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I believe the timing key was the factor of lossin your top end, I thinking you'll have to remove the key and increase your octane and even than may have to lower your boost a tad, but than it should be a monster bottom to top, also the latest re flash from cat takes away abit of timing on top end to help prevent det, that's what I did

Is that flash valid for the 09' ECU?

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Dogmeat, loose the timing key and run AV gas. Your 09 ecu program will work fine. Is it possible your timing key isn't working properly? Detonation putting heat into your engine while at the same time producing less power on the top end? Pull it and run some good fuel.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Dogmeat, loose the timing key and run AV gas. Your 09 ecu program will work fine. Is it possible your timing key isn't working properly? Detonation putting heat into your engine while at the same time producing less power on the top end? Pull it and run some good fuel.

Might have to do that .... cept with me movin to Denver next month cheap avgas won't be an option :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ouchie:( Well, 09 head might be the way to go then. It still rips hard with the 09 though:)

On the top end, the bottom end sucks with the 09 head .... the pipe helped, but the pipe + head it was awesome.

I'm just gonna run 50/50 91/110 this weekend to be on the safe side and see what happens. Theoretically it should cool it down .... I should still be at the same loss of top end power, but I should be safe to crank the boost up to get it back.

I'm gonna pull plugs and check those too then hopefully somene has a piston wash light I can use to check the pistons without taking the head off.

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
dont usually jump on this stuff but Ill post some info.. 2012 with HO head on vp110 13+lbs on a ovs kit, it is stupid quick bottum and top.. no det problems what so ever going to turn it up some more this weekend if I can find enough snow. DnD weights fully loaded runs 8400rpm, the pipe is modified. Engine wise this thing is frikin awsome, the sled is still in charge we havent figured out how to get along like my m1200 did...

7000+ ft

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reading some of these posts really makes me wonder if there is as big of an issue regarding the HO head as many made it out to be initially if you run quality fuel.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Reading some of these posts really makes me wonder if there is as big of an issue regarding the HO head as many made it out to be initially if you run quality fuel.

I know that mine seemed a lot snappier without the timing module installed, and I was riding 8500+ feet and only 8.5 psi .... it did seem like it might be detonating though due to the increased coolant temp and decreased EGT's however ...

I think this weekend I'm just gonna run 50/50 91/110 to be on the safe side and figure it out. If it was a detonation issue then the 100 octane mix should make it run cool again. If it runs the same on the 100 octane mix, its just the difference in the head most likley and the timing retarded on the top end made me lose power, therefore I need more boost to compensate.....

I'll check plugs and piston wash this weekend and see ....

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
lose the timing key and adjust boost accordingly, you will get better performance in the long run.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc

im gonna swap mine out this weekend and i will post my findings, i will be runnin 105 av at 6lbs at 4/4500

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I think he means 100LL as a lot of people say that is 104ish octane for automotive motors. Avaiation must use a different measurement?

My idea of running a timing key. I have no offical testing but think by pulling the timing on the top I now can run way less octane which really wakes up my bottom end. If I do lose a little power on top I can just bump up the boost a little.

I have been running 11 psi with ho head and timing pulled back on top at 7000-8000 ft. I have been weening it down to about 40% 100LL I havent hit the knock sensor yet so I will keep taking the 100LL away. Maybe I dont need any up at that alt. because in ND I have been running 10 psi with 50/50.

What my butt sensor tells me is my bottom end is far better with the timing pulled and less race gas in the tank. Even if I did lose a little on top I think I like this better. I have plenty of power anyways I like the rippy bottom end for tree riding, creek bottoms and hitting drifts.

With the comments on here to go back to stock timing I am starting to wonder if I am missing somthing? IDK?????:face-icon-small-sad

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
ive been only on 8 pounds at 5-7k on straight av on stock head an 100LL going to try 10-12 next weekend but my bottom end seamed fine reponse to me and this is my first turbo... What does taking away some of the race gas do for the bottom end to help it??

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I think he means 100LL as a lot of people say that is 104ish octane for automotive motors. Avaiation must use a different measurement?

My idea of running a timing key. I have no offical testing but think by pulling the timing on the top I now can run way less octane which really wakes up my bottom end. If I do lose a little power on top I can just bump up the boost a little.

I have been running 11 psi with ho head and timing pulled back on top at 7000-8000 ft. I have been weening it down to about 40% 100LL I havent hit the knock sensor yet so I will keep taking the 100LL away. Maybe I dont need any up at that alt. because in ND I have been running 10 psi with 50/50.

What my butt sensor tells me is my bottom end is far better with the timing pulled and less race gas in the tank. Even if I did lose a little on top I think I like this better. I have plenty of power anyways I like the rippy bottom end for tree riding, creek bottoms and hitting drifts.

With the comments on here to go back to stock timing I am starting to wonder if I am missing somthing? IDK?????:face-icon-small-sad

What sled, turbo kit, etc?

I'm seriously just scared to death of melting a piston down with this deal.

What is the compression ratio of the 2010 head, I wanna say I read it was 13:1 and the 2009 head was 12:1? So its not like a SUPER high compression head, but I'm still sort of skittish because of last weekend.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Dogmeat it is a 2010 m8 push tial rg. I would not be scared to try the ho head. I have not ran the 09 head but I see no need to try it as I have almost 2000 miles now running it from 800-10000ft up to 12 psi. I have more confidence in my m8t making it back to the trailer than my buddies new proclimbs.

I have not checked my pistons for a couple hundred miles. Last year I hit det sensor a couple times and that loosened my plugs. So I put new pistons in for this year they looked like new. I have not hit det sensor or had loose plugs since pulling timing.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
They are closer than you'd think.

09 is 12.5:1
HO is 12.8:1

Thats it?

I thought it was like a 13.5:1 ...

That is really weird.

I ran 50/50 race gas without the timing retard module today and it ran awesome ... not as good as with no race gas, but my EGT's were back up (without the timign retard module), pulling Rs, and coolent temp never got above 130 ...

I thought it bumped the static compression ratio more than that.

Premium Features