• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo reed setup

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Like any other column of moving inertia carry mass, Air and its fuel vapor will follow the primary shape of its vessel.

ROUND, The reason we see the outer petals outer edges show damage is the lack of a solid moving column across the petal face..Tony has a novel idea that will move us up another notch in the tuning game....

hows bout we go so far as to round the outer edge of the outer petal ???? its that section flopping in an turbulent directionless flow thats fraying or starting the fracture...??

The HO cage with its rounded opening should address this futher,,Tony ? thoughts..

Our test pond has 4 inches of ice and wil be ready for testing SAT ! I however am loading up for Dynotech appt on monday till wed, 3 turbos. A twin, triple and shhhhhhhhhh.....gonna be a good time at the old dyno next week.....

9 hour drive each way for me...suuuuuuuuuuuccccccks

Gus

I did round the outer edges of both reeds a fair amount, mostly to match the HO radiused corners. There is still more overlap that could be taken off but compared to the shape I started with(like in the pics just above) they are very round.

Looking at the reeds above sure makes my head spin. One interesting aspect is how spred out the erosion is. It's not cofined to the corners like on mine. I'd guess the bigger radius of the HO cage might help????

I also wonder if the large overlap is part of the problem????

G
Apr 23, 2008
Tony I feel you are correct about too much overlap..
Breeze,, thanks for the info and pics brutha..

the way the delaminate at the tip is from flutter ( acts like the tip of a towel you are snapping ,, fraying over time ). we cant snap a towel 300 times a second but the engine can at just 3800 rpm..hummmmmmmm

the mass thing on the tips is needed to dampen this... extra length hurts too.

some extra is needed to absorb the flexing INward ,, but not a foot !!

Gus

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Gus,

Are you saying you would trim the tips of the zr/m reeds to better match the HO cages? Or pick up a set of the squared cages. I would really like to use the HO cages, but will pony up if worth while.

Why are the bottom reeds junked, and the top look good?

I compared double stacked zr/m reeds to HO on the bottom, zr/m on the top double stack last night. The ZR / M double stacked had slightly less tension then the other combo.

What to do, what to do...

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Gus,

What to do, what to do...

the question that drives us all to try new mouse traps. You mentioned that the HO and ZR-M combo already worked so its prolly the sure thing right now.

I think the bottoms get most of the flow due to the top having the cylinder tabs kinda in the center of the flow line??????

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
It did work, but I am unsure about how long it worked for. I bought the sled with about 600 miles on it, and put about 150 more on it before switching to single stack. I can not say for sure how long the previous setup was in there, but am leaning towards going back to the double setup, with HO reeds on the inside, with OVS stops instead of the stockers.

G
Apr 23, 2008
We know the squared off doubles work witout failure so far. the bottoms see more due to low throttle openings when riding and low fuel flow thru the reeds, fuel acts as a cushion, the leaner you run the harder you are on reeds.

I have no issue with using the ho cage with zr petals uncut...cutting is up to you to use a tuning tool.. like drilling a hole or 2 at the hinge point to reduce LOW lift tension.. Once the reed bends beyond the hinge the tension is back up to original...

Gus

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I have quite a few spare square reed blocks if anyone wants to do any testing on an HO.

Hey Gus, change of subject: Are you (have you) going to start a thread on your dyno experience and what you are testing or is it super secret agent stuff?

G
Apr 23, 2008
working with the msd digital 7 ignition on the triple and the RT carbed sled as well as the NLR, ams1000 boost controller...go to nlrsystems and check out the cool stuff Sebastien and company are doing..

The thrd sled is of course,,DNE,,, back to put a cap on our unfinished session.

Jim will post when we finish and any subscribers can watch the live streaming video of all the sleds .

Last time I had no idea I was being broadcast LIVE,, this time I will use some shoe polish on my bald head to reduce glare !!!!!

Gus

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
So I see it was asked a couple times but never really answered so I will ask again. On a Pre HO M8 (07) what would be the best set up:
1. double stacked M8 reeds (square style), with stock stoppers?
2. single M1000 reeds with stock stoppers
3. single M8 reeds (square style) with OVS stoppers
4. single stack M1000 reed with OVS stoppers

I am currently running option 2, and since I did the water to air cooler reed life got wayyyy better, but if I could now switch to the option 3 and get some better bottom end, it might be a good plan

G
Apr 23, 2008
Doubled square reeds my man... they wont let you down,, Tony is working on some that should pan out to be better yet but needs some time to test..

singles will break as tony stated above even with ovs stops

The doubled thiner 4 petal reeds are lower tesnion than even a single 1000 petal.

In my case I have 4 800's all running over 25 psi and all using doubled reeds without failure and with 3600 rpm eng speed..No lag NONE ! the xp in fact was so snappy we dropped it to 3200 eng....

Gus

Lets start a page 2 so I can keep reading..getting out of my FREE window..LOL

Last edited:
M

Myzkoo

Sep 8, 2013
Bumping a old but very informative thread here. Its been 2-3 years since last post and i guess 2-3 years evolving since last.

Is there anyone that have come up with a reed that works better than double stockers with longer stoppers?

Premium Features