• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water to air intercooler......... Closed loop

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Seems to work good

img0377ht.jpg

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
nice underhood there smartypantzzz...LOL :face-icon-small-ton

Gus

Hey Gus,

Thanks for letting me steal a few of your Ideas, lol :shocked:

I have not had a lot of testing on it. It is novel to be buzzing around on the side of a mountain in hot melting weather and have your charge temp well below ambient air temp.

One thing I found neat about this intercooler is the volume of the charge section. I had a 2.5” charge tube the same length as the intercooler and capped one end, filled it with water. Than I capped the end of the intercooler and dumped the water in the charge section of the cooler. The cooler displaced about 3% more volume

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Can you explain how you plumbed this in? Any more pics?

mine is plumbed through a small pump, then through a seperate heat exchanger in the tunnel and through the intercooler. I am using a differnent cooler though. there are other cooler types that have less of a pressure drop than the barrel style. mine only drops 0.1 psi

G
Apr 23, 2008
Kevin ,, man you and all the real 2 stroke boost guys are welcome to all of it..

cool is good, cold is better..shaman units do flow like crazy..the 3'' units are good to 40 plus psi,, accidental, yes.. fun ? OH **** YA !!!

the 3'' barrel showed 42 psi at the carbs and 43.8 at turbo ....pressure drop of 1.8 ..
Who makes a similar unit with less drop ??

Have some extruded bell cores for our own handamade units coming from Custom Tubes Willie'..
wee will see

Gus

Last edited:
C

catmanm7

Nov 29, 2007
I ask about the plumbing because I would be putting it on a M7 and already have enough power draw. My sled runs at about 115 hottest temp, this is measured coming out of the top of the head. So could the water/ air cooler be incorporated into my stock cooling system, without a seperate pump.
Maybe using the same coolant hoses that go into my turbo..... so flow would travel from sled to cooler to turbo and then back to sled?
I noticed last weekend just at 8psi in spring riding my charge tube was warm to the touch but not hot. I would say over a 100-150 degrees though.
This would be easier for me to install then an intercooler.

Also I have seen similar coolers on siliconeintakes.com and frozenboost.com (same owners)
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...d=219&osCsid=337f48cb7f0f94b6725d78072a5562e9

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
It is nice that you can remove the lower belly pan on the M sleds, cut me back on a whole bunch of cussin when tossing this thing together. The sled is a 09 M-1000, I am planning on running 13psi at altitude on AV gas, providing this system keep the charge cool. I used a Bosch circulating pump, stuffed the heat exchanger just under the factor one in the lower front section of the bulkhead. The exchanger is only 4X16 but its placement is optimum.

I do not think that there is a lot of heat that has to be pulled out of that system at this low boost level (I know Gus thinks is low Boost, but he is a mad man when it comes to boost :behindsofa:),

I am hoping it will knock the charge down 100 degrees. I was concered about the power as well, this pump draws 2.1 amps at room temp. I post some more pics later

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I ask about the plumbing because I would be putting it on a M7 and already have enough power draw. My sled runs at about 115 hottest temp, this is measured coming out of the top of the head. So could the water/ air cooler be incorporated into my stock cooling system, without a seperate pump.
Maybe using the same coolant hoses that go into my turbo..... so flow would travel from sled to cooler to turbo and then back to sled?
I noticed last weekend just at 8psi in spring riding my charge tube was warm to the touch but not hot. I would say over a 100-150 degrees though.
This would be easier for me to install then an intercooler.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...d=219&osCsid=337f48cb7f0f94b6725d78072a5562e9

I think it is quite feasible to use the engine coolant,
My fist plan was to run a big a$$ heat exchanger that would replace the rear one and run 100% of the return coolant through the intercooler fist, than off to the motor it would go. It would work well, maybe the next one I do up I will give it a go, I have a beat up 700 dragon that needs a boost.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Kevin ,, man you and all the real 2 stroke boost guys are welcome to all of it..

cool is good, cold is better..shaman units do flow like crazy..the 3'' units are good to 40 plus psi,, accidental, yes.. fun ? OH **** YA !!!

the 3'' barrel showed 42 psi at the carbs and 43.8 at turbo ....pressure drop of 1.8 ..
Who makes a similar unit with less drop ??

Have some extruded bell cores for our own handamade units coming from Custom Tubes Willie'..
wee will see

Gus

Gus, this is the cooler I am using http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=210&osCsid=c8dfb04e878a5b4795419335305972b2

like Boyko says the heat exchanger placement and size is critical in super cool charge temps. I ran 12-14 lbs all year with av gas and a linderman modded head, for next year I want to try a stock compression ratio head at the same boost with av. my boost crept up a few times and I seen no sign of deto. water to air rocks. I need to thank Brad Story for designing mine. It has worked exactly like he said it would.

G
Apr 23, 2008
The coolant temp ( at the waterpump inlet ) is the temp your intercooler will run at when plumbed correctly using the STOCK cooling system..
You are pulling cold coolant before the engine and returning back to the coolers never seeing the engine at all !!!!

you will need a booster pump to "pull from" and maintain flow, you should use a checkvalve to eliminate backflow..

you will be very happy.

Thanks for some intelligent conversation boys..its sadly missed ..

Gus

no hiding behind the furniture Boyko..:whip::whip:

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
If you are worried about current draw i am running the same intercooler as you and a 7x28" cooler under the tunnel and using a jabasco pump uses 1.5amps. Running a 66 aero and it drops charge temp down to 40ish as a temp. Can tell the performance change with pump off and on. Going to try the next size intercooler to get the temp lower.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
If you are worried about current draw i am running the same intercooler as you and a 7x28" cooler under the tunnel and using a jabasco pump uses 1.5amps. Running a 66 aero and it drops charge temp down to 40ish as a temp. Can tell the performance change with pump off and on. Going to try the next size intercooler to get the temp lower.

Man that is a huge exchanger you are running! Bigger has got to be better. I would have liked more capacaty, could not find the room for it.

The one HM turbos has on there site looks about the same size as mine, thay run the areochugger turbo so no big boost numbers for that system.

Why are all there home brewed water to air units in Alberta anyway? :face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Man that is a huge exchanger you are running! Bigger has got to be better. I would have liked more capacaty, could not find the room for it.

The one HM turbos has on there site looks about the same size as mine, thay run the areochugger turbo so no big boost numbers for that system.

Why are all there home brewed water to air units in Alberta anyway? :face-icon-small-sho

I think mine is bigger than 7x28 lol, it is a U cooler that is about 4 inches wide on each "U" and about 30" long. if you can put it right in the very back it can be way smaller. mine runs from the stock cooler down to the bend in the tunnel and past that a ways. When I was talking about the pressure drop I was comapring my cooler to this one http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=226&osCsid=419883edbc41fa9080a66f73d0e14b1c, it looks like the cooler you used has the same pressure drop as the one I am using. I wish they made a shorter barrel style cooler that had the capacity we need. Boyko and Rsaint where are you guys from?

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I am from Camrose, the city that always sleeps

Now I feel like I got a small one :face-icon-small-blu

W

wildchild

Jul 4, 2001
lumby
This is the one I been running for 2 seasons in closed loop. I just unplugged my headlights to make up for the draw the pump uses.

You can tell just by putting your hand on the the intake and outlet of the inter cooler the temp difference.

151.jpg

Premium Features