• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POWER COMMANDER 5 TUNING AND MAPPING TIPS FOR M1000

A

akholland

Feb 15, 2010
I would like to start a thread about tuning and map creation tips for sleds with the power commander 5. Answer the following questions.

1. Did you hold rpm constant and vary throttle position while watching air fuel numbers?

2. Did you hold throttle position constant while varying rpm to get target afr?

3. Did you find it necessary to vary the map significantly from block to block for example: fuel numbers going 10 50 10 90 instead of 10 15 20 15 10?

4. If you had an M, were you able to check piston wash without removing the exhaust manifold? I don't think I can fit my head down there.

5. Did your air fuel numbers vary with altitude using the PCV box? I was told by speedwerks that with the PCV the fuel numbers do not need to change for different altitudes, i have a hard time believing that.

6. Mods list
Pipe:
Intake:
Reeds:
make/model:
Heads:
timing keys:
type Air Fuel gauge system:

7. Any tips and tricks to minimizing the amount of time spent tuning?

8. Is there a PDA available so you didn't have to take your laptop with u riding that you used?

9. comments:

For example on the SLP map, in the fuel number blocks from 7250 to 8000 rpm and from 15 to 30 percent throttle, slp maxed the numbers at 124 while the surrounding fuel numbers are between 35 and 10. Is this because at max rpm and low throttle there was a huge lean spot letting off the gas? Speedwerks map did not do this. Both maps I have are included.

speedwerks map pcv stock intake.jpg slp m1000 map stock intake.jpg

Last edited:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
For example on the SLP map, in the fuel number blocks from 7250 to 8000 rpm and from 15 to 30 percent throttle, slp maxed the numbers at 124 while the surrounding fuel numbers are between 35 and 10. Is this because at max rpm and low throttle there was a huge lean spot letting off the gas? Speedwerks map did not do this. Both maps I have are included.

Some of the high numbers I believe are for when you let off the throttle and then grab a handful. Just my opinion on why the numbers are High.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
There are probably more than one of us that have had an M1000 wide open for a long time on a long hard pull and get to the top and let off.........and it quits or sticks. That is the purpose of these high numbers in this area, so when you chop the throttle it pours the fuel to her as she signs off. You are only in this throttle position at this rpm for a split second, but it gives it a shot of love when it needs it most. These are a bit over the top, but most of the SLP map is.

A

akholland

Feb 15, 2010
well i think i will go ahead and buy that auto tune thing.. we have 3 m1000's with pipe systems to get tuned in so hopefully it will save time. 2 slp systems and one speedwerks. I just thinking the autotune doesn't account for little tricks like that fattening up the low throttle at the high rpm. is there any other places an auto tune created map might need modification?

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
well i think i will go ahead and buy that auto tune thing.. we have 3 m1000's with pipe systems to get tuned in so hopefully it will save time. 2 slp systems and one speedwerks. I just thinking the autotune doesn't account for little tricks like that fattening up the low throttle at the high rpm fuel numbers. is there any other places an auto tune created map might need modification?

I have not worked with a AutoTune, but some of stuff I have read is that it will not make a complete map for you.
You would use it to give you your main numbers then input numbers for the off normal from SLP's map.

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
I have a slp map in my PC5 for their exhaust on my 09 1000cfr. It runs good,but I think it is a different map an the one used as a example here.
My slp map part # 09 M-1000 P.N.70-218.What slp map part #"s do you fellows run? I received this map from slp but don't know how to post on here.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I have a slp map in my PC5 for their exhaust on my 09 1000cfr. It runs good,but I think it is a different map an the one used as a example here.
My slp map part # 09 M-1000 P.N.70-218.What slp map part #"s do you fellows run? I received this map from slp but don't know how to post on here.

You can only compare, year, model, elevation and Ecu flash maps.
Any changes in the year,model, mods, elevation and Ecu will change the base map.

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
I probably didn't make sense.I try again. SLP sent their map to me in a email attachment to program into my PC5.SLP's part # for this map is 70-218 and it's setting quite different than the slp's map example used on here. What is SLP's part # for SLP map on here.SLP said the map they sent me was for a 09 AC 1000 0-10000ft. using their exhaust & intake.

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
When SLP emailed the map did they also say to enable the accel pump feature ?

No,I don't think so.

I didn't buy the PC5 from SLP,but I did buy the exhaust right from SLP.Thats why they mailed the map program. When I compare maps in my PC5 software, the SLP map # 70-218 is very comparable to the speedwerx map on here.

A

akholland

Feb 15, 2010
do any of you guys ever check your piston wash? I'm thinking about finding a mirror and a little flashlight to get a look in there.. its a pain. I dont remember being able to get a good look at the piston through the exhaust port either on a M

K

kllongbrake

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 29, 2009
do any of you guys ever check your piston wash? I'm thinking about finding a mirror and a little flashlight to get a look in there.. its a pain. I dont remember being able to get a good look at the piston through the exhaust port either on a M

Two bolts, the powervalves come out and with a decent light you can see the wash very clearly. I'm new to it but that's what I was told. I tryed it and it works.

Oct 27, 2008
head

well pop that big head of yours and it might fit lol just kidding so im wondering about the auto tune it gives you the base fuel numbers and then you fill in the blanks who has ran the auto tune and is it worth the trouble or should we just get slp's map and do a lil fine tweaking on it to dial it in

A

akholland

Feb 15, 2010
the maps above in my first post are for a 2008 M1000 with a 2009 flash update. And there is a difference between this and a stock 09 M1000. I to am curious to hear other peoples experiences with the autotune.. i feel like the guinnea pig. but will give her a shot

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Answer the following questions.

1. Did you hold rpm constant and vary throttle position while watching air fuel numbers? Yes, I did this for plugs and wash but did not use auto-tune.

2. Did you hold throttle position constant while varying rpm to get target afr? Didn't auto-tune.

3. Did you find it necessary to vary the map significantly from block to block for example: fuel numbers going 10 50 10 90 instead of 10 15 20 15 10? No

4. If you had an M, were you able to check piston wash without removing the exhaust manifold? Used plug color and pulled powervalves for piston wash.

5. Did your air fuel numbers vary with altitude using the PCV box? Not at all. It is the most stable box I have ever used.

6. Mods list
Pipe: Full SLP
Intake: After trying them all, settled on the SLP.
Reeds: Stock. Wouldn't waste the money.
make/model: '08-M1000 w/ all '09 updates.
Heads: Stock for now. Investigating though!
timing keys: Stock
type Air Fuel gauge system: I use Koso Dual fast action EGT's

7. Any tips and tricks to minimizing the amount of time spent tuning? Yea, don't waste your time with the SLP maps.

8. Is there a PDA available so you didn't have to take your laptop with you riding that you used? You can get little Netbooks now for $200. Mini computers! I use a toggle switch for 2 maps and leave the laptop in the truck.

9. Comments: I feel like I have mine dialed in now. I have tried every fuel box and air intake on the market and have settled for the above. It's a solid box that you don't have to tweak with all day long with temp and altitude changes. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with Dustin at SLP trying to run there map and it just doesn't work for me. It is just stupid fat! They are great guys, but it's always something else like my clutching or my TPS settings or my fuel pump has issues or whatever. I am a pretty good wrench and everything is dialed. Look at everyone else's maps and compare them to SLP's Nothing even comes close to the map they are using! To each there own, but these are my findings. Do yourself a favor and go to Radio Shack and get a $8 weatherproof toggle switch and run a "good" map and an "experimental" map whenever you go up. That way you can tweak, but not ruin your day riding either. Takes 10 minutes to install and is awesome for fine tuning. As far as where to get it! Get it from Eric at Racinstation. It will be very close right out of the box and you will spend more time riding and not fuc*ing with it.

Aaron

A

akholland

Feb 15, 2010
racin station maps

I think racinstation user is with speedwerks right? I called speedwerks and i dont think they had a map made for a 08 without the update. If i go back to stock my sled will run like crap. Seen it before the update is to fat. I went to do it anyways and the guy at arctic cat talked me back out of it. . so im going to make my own map from scratch.
Would be nice to have a base map to work off of though if anyone has one. I have full speedwerks pipe setup with stock intake.. well sort of stock it has a mesh hood and sucks through the diamond s mesh intake.... shouldnt' make big difference.

S
Jan 7, 2010
I'd be REAL interested in any maps you get for your sled. I'm in a similar situation...I have the BMP setup (which makes good power, I ran it last year with an Attitude box) but their map is totally basic...no changes in fueling as TPS changes.

I will start with the SLP map if I have to but if you have something from Speedwerx...I'd sure be interested. Figure if all else fails, I can use an 'average' of different maps and be supercareful and dial it in.

This thing is a rash but everybody, including BMP, says the PCV is the way to go with this sled and it's little tuning issue.

Good thing I have the old T-cat to ride around a bit when it pisses me off tuning it!

Premium Features