• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Maintenance Questions, MXZ 2005 800CC & MXZ 2003 600CC

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
First let me say that I am mechanically inclined but have barely any experience with sleds. I bought a couple of used sleds this past year and have a couple of questions for those who have the appropriate experience. Manuals did not come with the sleds and I am learning as I go.

First question for today; there is a large headed nut/bolt, in the top of the chain case, that also has a cotter key in it. I am guessing it is used for an adjustment of some sort for tension on the chain. Is this correct, if so, how is proper tension determined? If not, what is this cotter keyed nut/bolt for?

Second question; how do you know if your sled clutch is adjusted correctly. Are there links to some sort of chart for comparison of speed and rpm comparisons? If your rpm's are running high for the speed you are pushing, how are the adjustments made to the clutch to tweak things? Is there a website that talks someone through it t he first time.

Third question; how do you replace the drive belt? :eek: Should have figured this one out before we ventured into the mountains. Guess I got lucky this year...

Websites discussing these issues would be a big help. Pictures are even better:eek: If there is a good site for publications I would also apprecitae that information.

A big thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Chaos
USMC Retired

M
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge Idaho
The chaincase bolt with a cotter pin in it is the chain tensioning bolt. you should take the cotter pin out and check the tension ever few hundred miles. If I remember right, the tensioner screws down (turn the bolt as if you were taking it out). If you don't feel it get tight after about two turns, go the other way. Turn it until the chain is finger tight, then back it up to the closest hole the cotter pin fits in. At least that his what I do.

The clutch. I believe both of these snowmobiles should be running just over 8000 RPM. There are three small bolts on the primary (engine) clutch. There should be a pointer on big end of the bolt and the aluminum clutch should be numbered one to six. If the pointer is on 1 your engine run the slowest, 6 the fastest, with approximately 200 RPM for each notch. Be sure to keep all three bolts adjusted the same. When changing the bolt to a different number, do not take the bolt all the way out, just barely far enough out to turn the head to a different number.

To change your belt, there should be a small 2" long bolt with a folding "T" handle in your tool pouch. I'd suggest lubing the bolt with a light oil or WD-40 to make sure the threads do not give out while you are using it. There should be a hole a little off center in the secondary clutch (the larger diameter clutch) and the bolt from the tool pouch will thread into this hole. Gently thread it in, after a few turns will you feel a little tension and see the clutch sheaves start to separate, making it possible to slip the belt off of the clutch. Use the bolt to open the clutch enough to easily slip the old belt off and put the new one on. Once the new belt is on, take the little bolt out and put it in your tool pouch. Then wiggle the belt until the clutch sheaves come back together, otherwise your snowmobile will be in high gear when you try to go and you'll smoke your new belt.

One more thing I think you should do is check your "Y" pipe bolts are tight. These have a tendency to work loose. They are the allen head bolts that hold the exhaust to the engine.

Check out the Ski-Doo website, can download your owners manual, assembly drawings with part numbers, and advertised specifications for your year and model of snowmobile.

http://www.ski-doo.com/en-US

On the top, hold your mouse over the "Owner Center" header. There will be several screens you have to navigate through, just keep clicking whatever they ask you for.

Premium Features