• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 turbo

Ken Climb

Premium Member
I did not buy the BD kit because i dont like the idea of the intercooler . Why are they the only brand pushing that? I have never seen a CPC intercooler. I like simple and light weight .

Why an intercooler? To lower charge temps....thats why! Way lower!

Lower charge temps=More power!

If you really don't like the intercooler, The BD pump gas turbo system doesn't have a intercooler.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
rode em all, got a BD, going to twisted this summer

..i could list a few action items the BD folks need to offer before getting to the level of twisted or cutlets, but how really cares?

I kinda care I guess. What are these few action items that have made you switch kits?

Well please`elaborate. These items I would assume are the types of issues that would be factors in the decision as to which system to purchase.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
rode em all, got a BD, going to twisted this summer

..i could list a few action items the BD folks need to offer before getting to the level of twisted or cutlets, but how really cares?

I kinda care I guess. What are these few action items that have made you switch kits?

- the old and new tunnel dumps are a great idea for noise, but a bad idea for powder, the side dump and cutlers stock dump both work great, most folks are sayin the new DB dump works, but its still a bad idea IMO
- they still put the extra injectors in an additional airbox, duel injector throttle bodies are the only way to go
- the intercooler is a heater at boondocking speeds, i know the added fan works way better, but the huge amount of charge tube volume adds lag and a drop in real world Boost

Like i said before, i could go on and on, but this turbo smack talk has lost its thrill and most here sont say the negative stuff about these kits, eveyone seems to have some gay creepy internet thing going on here....i like shane and dale just fine, but wont back to speak what i feel to be the truth

Sidenote - anyone you still thinks these turbo kits wont make you break more un-related turbo parts on your sled is simply a "Sally", if you ride like a man and stay on the flipper, stuff will break, although the engines are stayin together just fine with good fuel, i only use 112

Another sidenote - dont get a turbo 2 smoke kit if you ride hard and dont plan on fixing chit:beer;

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I did not buy the BD kit because i dont like the idea of the intercooler . Why are they the only brand pushing that? I have never seen a CPC intercooler. I like simple and light weight .

Why an intercooler? To lower charge temps....thats why! Way lower!

Lower charge temps=More power!

If you really don't like the intercooler, The BD pump gas turbo system doesn't have a intercooler.

Yes i understand the sales pitch . I am working on charge temps . I have run pump gas for the last 250 miles . The day i get my arse handed to me by a sled with a big heavy intercooler , i will start to belive the spin.

Can you tell me what a BD race gas intercooler weighs ? I have spent alot of money this year dumping weight off of my sled . So if that intercooler can get me 10 or 20 HP day in day out , i think that would work great . Are they that much better ? I have not seen anything , my non intercooled sled wont do .

Why is it there is always a reason it is so much better , but not much proof. Kind of like Obama , Much better !:light:

Last edited:
F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
CPC all the way. I was told not to buy it in 09 because it was a newer kit and it turned out to perform beyond expectations. Dale never stopped trying to fine tune and tweak his kit to perfection. He is relentless in his pursuit of it. I expect for 010 the CPC kit will be even better than 09. My m8 with the HO kit at 16lbs was the funnest sled Ive ever rode.. Dales cold air intake is the real deal. I remember my first turbo back on 97, I bought one of the first turboed RMKs. I didnt know anything about turbos back then and I ended up selling it cause it ran on the trail and not in the hills. In hindsight I realize that it was underhood heat that was killing my performance, Im a true believer in cold air for turbos. Also check into all the details of the kits and what they come with. I thought BD was the cheapest but when I researched it I found them to be one of the most expensive.

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I don’t have any experience with the Cutler or Twisted set ups, but IMO the results and service from the BD M8 pump gas kit I have ran all season will keep me coming back. I am not a pro mechanic and I don’t want to twist wrenches after the season begins and this is what BD delivered. After a very clean self install and about an hour of tuning I haven’t touched a thing for 1000 miles, consistently running 8-8.5lbs on straight pump gas. I believe the smaller turbo, short charge tube, and the lack of an intercooler make the kit extremely responsive and eliminate the lag present in the higher output kits I have rode. This is the first sled I have ever owned where I look forward to prospect of ridding for a second season and am not looking to trade up into something else.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
My bud has two dragon BD turbo's. One is a pump gas (no intercooler) and one is a race with the intercooler. After a long pull with both sleds at 10lbs boost, the dragon with the intercooler has 75deg cooler charge temps. We plumbed the pump gas dragon air intake out of the hood in the cold air and there was NO dif! Anyone that say's the intercoolers are pointless should see how much more power your sled will make with such lower charge temps. Mind you the pg kits still rip and have less lag, but if you plan on running 10-15 lbs alot the intercooler will make you way more power and have less chance of detonation. Boost on!

A
Nov 27, 2007
McCall Idaho
i have a m8 bd pg turbo, and it is the best sled i have ever owned. I have ran it to 9 pounds on 91 octane, and it is plenty powerful, virtually lagless, I would recomend it any day. did I mention I have over 2000 miles on it as well? not one problem. BD has their pg kits figured out thats all i know:D

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
My bud has two dragon BD turbo's. One is a pump gas (no intercooler) and one is a race with the intercooler. After a long pull with both sleds at 10lbs boost, the dragon with the intercooler has 75deg cooler charge temps. We plumbed the pump gas dragon air intake out of the hood in the cold air and there was NO dif! Anyone that say's the intercoolers are pointless should see how much more power your sled will make with such lower charge temps. Mind you the pg kits still rip and have less lag, but if you plan on running 10-15 lbs alot the intercooler will make you way more power and have less chance of detonation. Boost on!

Im not saying the intercooler is completly pointless...but its pointless and counter productive for any style of riding other then hill humping...and a bigger compressor will far excess what the 75 degree drop is doing

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007

ken its not that the intercoller does not work its that it gets hot then its does not work! 1 pull up the hill great,2 pulls ok ,3 pulls stop tune for the heat ,= boondock through tress get to hill no go up hill cause of heat,

also was the hood on or off ?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Been running an 09 M8 with the BD PGT for the last 500 miles with no issues. Hopefully it continues to stay that way!

Most fun I've ever had on a sled!!

This is what kills me! 500 miles is what? 10 -12 days at most!:(

Well, My buddies and I ride 500 miles in less than 3 weeks. We are going on 50 plus days of riding this year. Thats over 2,000 miles so far and still more to come.:D

I have yet to see any of these TURBOs go 5 days without something going wrong!:eek: Siht!... Hatchers BD TM8 only makes it 3-4 days before he's getting towed out and having to fix or replace something expensive!:rolleyes: We are riding hard tho not just pulling straight shots up big hills.

Last edited:
S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
Good insight, awesome tech support… Are you for real…

ken its not that the intercoller does not work its that it gets hot then its does not work! 1 pull up the hill great,2 pulls ok ,3 pulls stop tune for the heat ,= boondock through tress get to hill no go up hill cause of heat,

also was the hood on or off ?

This just in, INTERCOOLERS SUCK!

Everyone using a turbo diesel to pull their snowmobile trailer should immediately bypass your intercooler and install a really big blow off valve if you intend on pulling any long hills. Because once the intercooler gets hot, it will start to get the air real hot to, or something , :confused:@?#$%&!,,,, I think… yeah… :confused:no I’m sure of it, hot is real bad….???.... but big BOVs are sweet if you would like one give product tester a call today…:)

Tune in next time we’ll show you how to bypass your radiator, cause it can get hot too…:face-icon-small-dis

Why wouldn’t you…:D:beer;:beer;:beer;

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
never said intercoolers sucked just that if you cant pull fresh cool air through them then they do not do any good! you forget I have owned 5 or 6 bd kits intercooled and none I have ran charge temp senders and watched them with the hood on and off with intercoolers and with out and guess what just like I said first pull good second ok third tune for heat I did get rid of alot of the tunning problem when I put a diffrent control box on I believe it was a pure logic box that I used to make the 1000 come to life before that it would not out run my 7 with out an intercooler cold or hot.

S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
The facts are the facts. BD control boxes come with temp sensors these days, so anyone running a BD turbo can see what their charge air temps are, so no more kidding around…

BD pump gas turbos do not come with intercoolers, only because they are intended to be run a low boost pressures. At these low pressures (8psi and lower) charge air heat is not as prevalent as it can be at higher boost pressures (8psi and up). However BD does offer a mini intercooler kit for the pump gas turbo kits. This intercooler is half the size of the cooler that comes standard in the BD race gas kits. With no venting for fresh cool air the charge air temps drop 65°-75°, pull after pull, even boondocking through the trees.

BD race gas kits running the full size intercoolers, with hoods installed, typically see 110° drop in charge air temps, pull after pull, even boondocking through the trees.

Say what you want, but that’s the facts.

Junior

Premium Features