• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding out of West Yellowstone

E
Aug 9, 2017
Hello.
Looking for some info on riding out of the town of West Yellowstone? How far out of a trail ride is it to get to the good stuff? I've stayed in Island park before, rode two top and Jefferson areas. Looking to stay in West because of the more accommodations, but don't want to trail ride to far. Thanks!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Takes 20 mins to find good off-trail riding.
Two Top and Lions Head are west. That's the best way to go.

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Close to trails

There is an area of homes to rent about 7 miles before town that you may want to consider. This is going to be our 4th visit to this area for snowmobiling this upcoming x-mas. We choose to stay here as opposed to in town for the ease of maneuvering our trailer and the quick access to the trails right from the door. They can be found by searching VRBO (vacation rental by owner) in the West Yellowstone vicinity. There are many fellow snowmobilers staying here during winter season. Can't hurt to check it out. Good luck. Trail Traveler

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6718467,-111.2469181,1116a,35y,44.82t/data=!3m1!1e3

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Well if the west is fine but almost always tracked up I can be in good stuff with in 5 miles of town but it not easy stuff to find. Also its not real high elevation so it doesn't always have as much as the higher spots. If I can I trailer out of town to trailheads but since I store my sleds in town a lot of time all I have is a car so can't trailer out. I would stay away from two top unless you find someone who knows some of the real hard areas to find.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
There are plenty of fun zones but your looking at 10-20 miles of trail if your staying IN town. N up Cabin Creek/ Teepee Basin is super fun but thats 20 miles to the riding from town so if you can trailer to some of the cooler trail heads your looking at a more normal 5 miles or so of trail before your into decent riding.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I know everyone wants to just unload and be in the goods but some days flying down the trail is fun to stretch that belt out find out how clutching is or how fast your buddies sled goes. Put some miles on enjoy the throttle therapy.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Problem is the trails leaving town are beat within an inch of their lives. At least that's how it's been every time I've ridden from town.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
That's why you get the grooming schedule and ride the trails that were groomed the night before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Problem is the trails leaving town are beat within an inch of their lives. At least that's how it's been every time I've ridden from town.

Throttle therapy just hit the tops. I usually look at grooming report and leave fairly early only noticed them being rough on way in. There are also different ways to exit town on a sled other than groomed trails.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
We trailer out to one of the parking lots 90% of the time. I’ve never had a terrible trail between town and parking lots when we have ridden straight from town though, just like to save the fuel. The rough trails are the ungroomed bunny trails you have to take for a couple miles back into most areas. Those you just need to treat like moto whoops.

If you’re willing to explore, there are tons of untracked areas even when we go after a busy weekend with no new snow. West is just so big you can always find something. Most people ride the same few areas and even in those areas, very few people really get too far out of the easy areas.

Premium Features