• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I need advice on what to buy

L
Oct 29, 2018
I am looking for a used competent machine on a budget to take on an elk hunt in Wyoming once a year. My needs are as follows:

Budget under $2K
Mountain type machine as some years snow can be deep powder
Reasonably powerful to be able to tow elk
Reputation for reliability (relative)

I am adept at rebuilding motors and such so maintenance is not a problem but most importantly I want to minimize the risk of breaking down in the back country. I expect to baby the machine and all preventive maintenance would be handled by me before leaving on the trip.

I read the 2006 Summit 800 is pretty good. I saw one 2006 with 2200 miles on it for $1900. Would that one be a good choice or are there better ones for my needs? I suppose I could pay a little more to get something significantly better for the need.

Thanks to all in advance for your advice!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
07 to 09 M8 with a 162 track, they have a large cooling system and handle slow and heavy without overheating. You should be able to find them in the 2k to range easy.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Older sleds or even some today once you get over 2000 miles need to start looking at replacing the heads as preventative maintenance.

Im talking about 800cc and above 2 strokes.

I would look at the DFFERENCE between the pressure checks of the 2 cylinders to see if the sled is okay. My thumbrule is 10% variance okay greater than 20% be concerned. Perform both cold and warm. You can visually inspect cylinders taking off the y pipe on the exhaust.

Look at clutch maintenance performed

If you look at an 600 or 700 cc sled you shouldn't have to be overly concerned about the engine until it gets to 4000 plus miles ( assuming adequate maintenance)

Since you are only gonna ride it once a year look at fuel injected UNLESS you like rebuilding carbs.

More I think about it maybe look at a 600 to 700 cc sled OR even a UTILITY SLED design to tow heavy loads at slow speeds.

You could pick up a UTILITY sled from a ski resort cheap … after they write off depreciation.

http://www.snowmobile.com/specs/utility.html Just pick the years and see whats out there.

Yamaha RS Viking Professional

SKIDOO Skandic® WT 600

Polaris WideTrak™ IQ

Arctic Cat Bearcat® Z1 XT

If you go places with not much snow look at an air cooled sled.

You are only gonna ride it once a year … that is a big factor for maintenance. Like driving a car / truck once every couple months for years … unless stored in a heated garage

Last edited:
L
Oct 29, 2018
Artic Cat M8

07 to 09 M8 with a 162 track, they have a large cooling system and handle slow and heavy without overheating. You should be able to find them in the 2k to range easy.

There is one 2008 162" for sale nearby for $2800 but it is owned by
a younger guy and has been used exclusively for sled skiing. I imagine sled skiing is pretty hard on a machine?

The 153" machines are more common. Would that be a big downgrade vs. the 162" ?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I wouldn't buy a 2 stroke 800 specifically to tow or use for work. Look for a work machine ....2 or 4 stroke Bearcat would be a good option. Pretty bomb proof....only notable consideration is any Cat in that price range will probably need a drive clutch if it hasn't been replaced yet. Has a good sized track and will do ok to break trail....key word trail.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
a younger guy and has been used exclusively for sled skiing. I imagine sled skiing is pretty hard on a machine?

162 will give you better flotation and is a bit harder to get stuck. all the other stuff listed is great if your always on the trail. if you get off the trail then this is a bit more user friendly.

the guys using them for skiing most of the time don't ride them has hard as just mountain sledders. I find they just use them on the trails to access as its hard to boondock with 2 guys on one ride.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
For towing one needs to forget about any cool factor. The recreational sport type sleds aren't built for it. Be it chassis, drive train, or power plant. Being your just planning on once a year I'd suggest finding the nearest sled rental place to your hunting location to see if you could make that work. I know up here they do rent work sleds, which I have done to tow out dead sleds.
If your still wanting to own, then take don browns advise those are built for work, have wider tracks, lower gear ratios, tougher frames, some are four stroke which may be a better fit for you
Where are you located? What is even available?
Also there is the possibility you miss, scare the whole heard off, and bought a sled for nothing! Good luck!

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/snw/d/1995-ski-doo-scandic-low/6713122235.html

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/snw/d/1995-ski-doo-skandic-500/6732063108.html

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/snw/d/2017-arctic-cat-bearcat/6727595109.html

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Where are you looking to buy it at? My folks are selling my 09' rmk 600 with a 155 track. I think its got like 3000 or 3500 miles. It is back in South Dakota so not sure if you are remotely close or not, but the 600 from polaris are reliable and will definite get you around as well.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Again would NOT look at a traditional 800 mountain snowmobile. Not geared low enough to drag game behind. Riding once a year wont have skill set to control throttle and probably end up dig a hole getting stuck IN SNOW DEEPER THAN A FEW FEET.
Would look to pull a sled trailer / bucket (game in bucket) with a 2 SPEED utility sled.

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/snw/d/1995-ski-doo-scandic-low/6713122235.html This air cooled WORK sled will last 8000 to 10000 miles with VERY LITTLE maintenance.

PLEASE understand the difference in a WORK sled and recreational MOUNTAIN SLED.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am looking for a used competent machine on a budget to take on an elk hunt in Wyoming once a year. My needs are as follows:

Budget under $2K
Mountain type machine as some years snow can be deep powder
Reasonably powerful to be able to tow elk
Reputation for reliability (relative)

I am adept at rebuilding motors and such so maintenance is not a problem but most importantly I want to minimize the risk of breaking down in the back country. I expect to baby the machine and all preventive maintenance would be handled by me before leaving on the trip.

I read the 2006 Summit 800 is pretty good. I saw one 2006 with 2200 miles on it for $1900. Would that one be a good choice or are there better ones for my needs? I suppose I could pay a little more to get something significantly better for the need.

Thanks to all in advance for your advice!

For what you're talking about, I'd be looking for a used Polaris Voyager or a Skidoo Skandic ... You want a utility sled, not a back country mountain performance sled.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
check rhe Skidoo swap meet on this forum, there is a 13 summit XM for sale cheep. It has a ton of miles but might serve your purpose. Doesn't look to bad.

L
Oct 29, 2018
Where are you looking to buy it at? My folks are selling my 09' rmk 600 with a 155 track. I think its got like 3000 or 3500 miles. It is back in South Dakota so not sure if you are remotely close or not, but the 600 from polaris are reliable and will definite get you around as well.

I'm near Sacramento....

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I agree with don and some of the others.
Utility sled for sure.
20in wide track will float better and theyre geared to tow heavy loads.
4stroke would be quieter.

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
It would get you around fine, where you will have trouble is the ability to tow a sled loaded with elk and or gear. This is where the utility sleds with wide tracks and low gear range will shine for you.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Would this 2001 500 Ski Doo Fan bog down in the deep stuff too easy?

https://redding.craigslist.org/snw/d/2001-skidoo-500-fan-snowmobile/6719506317.html

For you alone with 20 pounds gear under 2 feet of snow yes. Pulling a bucket behind with 50-100 pounds of meat NO.

When looking it is about surface area of the track and gears in the sled.

An Utility sled is designed with a wider track than most any other sled and has a special gear box not found in any other sled. They have a rear tunnel reinforced to tow. They are designed to tow broken sleds, tow gear and or drag a groomer to make the trail smooth.

Perfect for your situation.

Call the local ski resorts and ask if they are selling any utility sleds . A business will depreciate them out and sell them cheap.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Yamaha 4 stroke

A four stroke would be a better choice for you, a stock Apex 162, nytro 162, or a vector would easily be in those price ranges, easy to gear down and tow with and would do well in deep snow where you aren't doing a but of technical riding without a turbo. Put some wide skis on it and I think it be just what you need.

L
Oct 29, 2018
sled for hunting

I've talked further with my friend about his experiences on the ranch and he said we would always be towing either on the flats or downhill as the place where the sleds are launched is the lowest spot and and goes gradually uphill from there. The sleds they borrowed previously were older machines without longer tracks that were often difficult in deep snow (even having to dig out at times)but they got by with them. He said the sleds had no problem towing an entire elk.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and I'll try finding one of the models put forth. I live in the Sacramento and there doesn't seem to be very many snowmobiles for sale here although Reno market has more. I'm sure if I keep looking I'll find something good.

Premium Features