• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to snowmobiling...

S

SnowAngel700

Dec 11, 2009
Hello all,

I'm new to this whole snowmobiling thing. I would like to get into the sport but now quite sure how. I am 21 weeks pregnant. My Fiance is a die hard snowmobiler and he wants to put the baby in a papoose type deal and take him with him when he rides. LOL :D Being new to it all it is kinda scary. When did you ladies start riding and did you ride when you were pregnant? When did you let your babies start riding?

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thank you.

Tonya

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Hello all,

I'm new to this whole snowmobiling thing. I would like to get into the sport but now quite sure how. I am 21 weeks pregnant. My Fiance is a die hard snowmobiler and he wants to put the baby in a papoose type deal and take him with him when he rides. LOL :D Being new to it all it is kinda scary. When did you ladies start riding and did you ride when you were pregnant? When did you let your babies start riding?

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thank you.

Tonya

** Raises his hand as the Die Hard **

We found out yesterday....I'm gonna have a son!!:D
I gotta start looking for a Baby Poo sled:rolleyes:

Jan 21, 2008
Welcome! I have only been snowmobiling for about five years I think. I love to see families out on the trail - last year there was a little girl on a snowmobile so little it had a kick start! When I first saw that you were preggo & snowmobiling I got scared but - I rode horses throughout & I'm thinking they are probably classified as more dangerous that sleds. Have a blast!:D

L

LADYREV800

Dec 1, 2007
MT2AK
Yes, welcome and congrats on the baby!
I've been riding sleds on and off since I was little. Went through my horse crazy stage and then the boy crazy stage and didn't really ride much during that time. Been getting back into it the past couple of years.
I went snowmobiling when I was 6-7 months pregnant. It was mostly trail riding and I was careful, I don't see why you shouldn't be out there too :)

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Welcome!!! I rode 14 years ago while I was pregnant, I would strongly suggest you get a tek vest that covers most of your tummy!! I hit the bars pretty hard and if something would have happened to him then I am not sure what I would have done or felt. If you ride, stick to the trails and ride very cautious!!! Good luck!!

D
Mar 24, 2008
Oregon
I rode 28 years ago when i was pregnant for the first time. But it was on trails and very carefully! I also water skiied, elk hunted on horseback and did whatever else I wanted to. Your body knows when you are doing too much and when to back off. My 7 month grandaughter went on her first ride New Years weekend in a front pack with my daughter in law driving just out to the pizza parlor we were going to. Once they are strong enough to hold their head up I think short rides are fine but they need to be a little stronger to actually wear a helmet and go on longer rides.

Congratulations on the new one arriving!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Had our oldest out at 1 yr old. Got one of those harnesses that straps the kid to the front of you. Warm weather, short rides.
Then got a snow coach for the 2 kids. Younger one was out on all day trips as early as 6 months, car seat strapped into the snowcoach. Now at 3-1/2 and almost 7 years old, niether wants to be in the 'coach unless they're cold. They want to ride up front hanging onto the osh!t handle!

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
We've been riding with our daughter since she was 18mo old. She's now 16 and she rocks on her sled! If you're an active person already, riding a snowmachine wouldn't be any different than riding a bike/4 wheeler in the summer time. Actually if you stick to the trails the snowmachine is probably a bit more safer than riding a bike/wheeler. IMO.

Congratulations and have fun!!

L
Dec 31, 2009
Kremmling, CO
I've been riding for about 4 years now and I'm completely in love with snowmobiling. Our group likes to find deep powder in open fields and play all day - which takes a lot out of you! My husband and I decided to start trying to get pregnant recently and I asked my doctor what she thought my limitations should be if/when we got pregnant. Her suggestions were to 1) listen to my body - if anything felt uncomfortable or painful stop immediately, 2) Watch my heart rate - never let my heart rate exceed 150 beats per minute, and 3) Keep exercising and doing the things that I enjoy - no sense in being miserable and pregnant.

Seeing as how you JUST started riding - I agree with the other ladies and think that sticking to the trails and enjoying the outdoors is probably your best bet! Trying new things like carving in powder would be difficult under nornal circumstances - let alone when you are pregnant!

Congratulations and have fun! :D

Premium Features