For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: AXYS 2016 AXYS chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
rx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant future
Default My take on some Axys rpm/poer loss.

I had the issue of low rpm and severe power loss all last season. Mine would act weird, it wouldn't rev up until you got about 4 or 5 miles on it and it would pull through the bottom rpm range but lacked top end, 600's would outrun it. It would shift out and pull 8000 rpm and slowly creep to 8150. I know I saw 8300 a couple times but never consistently. A few times it would make that lean bog stumble in mid range, and even at higher rpm it would almost give you that lean sound back through the airbox intakes. I'm running the stage three SLP setup and I can't get the rpm out of it even with the stock clutching. I've tried lighter weights and stiffer springs without any increase in rpm. It felt really weak on top end.

I've had a dealer look at it and they "fixed" it and I was told to possibly run Avgas to help it. They told me it was retarding timing and adding more fuel. I tried it when I got it back and it wasn't fixed. The repair was covered under warranty, that's fine it just wasn't fixed. I know of one other person that has the same problems. Silly me, I get sucked into the internet and I've checked all the "problems" that are out there. I even tore it down to inspect the pistons and cylinders it's all good and within spec.

I got it all together and ran it on the stand. I got it warmed up and started to give it throttle in the mid range and it leaned out and bogged. It still wouldn't turn up either. That got me to think the only thing I didn't check were the crank seals.

I found the mag seal was leaking. The crank on the Axys is really dry. If you look inside one there isn't a lot of oil and gas mix sitting in the lower ends. You're not going to get a lot of fluid running out, it's primarily oil that's going to leak out so you won't get that sloppy residue coming out. I should have know when my starter rope was oily and I had the occasional lean bog and a high idle even after checking and setting the TPS.

I'm not saying that's everybody's problem but I think that is a culprit for some of us. It has a little lower idle now and I rode it a little bit this last month on a short little stretch, I really think I have it fixed. I'll post more info when I get to actually ride it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rx1tonofun For This Useful Post:
Chad steele (01-09-2018), deten8 (12-05-2017), G-Force (11-23-2017), jhurkot (11-23-2017), Solby (12-04-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Currently: Damaging the Axys, one trip at a time
Basic Member
adamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Do you think the old "spray brake cleaner at the PTO stub while idling" is a good check for this? And can you spray at the mag seal at all?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Basic Member
rx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant futurerx1tonofun has a brilliant future

The Mag seal is pretty protected and it would be hard to get the spray in there. I think you'd notice a difference if you did spray around it, there's probably enough vapor that it would eventually get sucked in.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Currently: Back in the mountains
Thanked 1,159 Times in 436 Posts
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFULLTHROTTLE View Post
Those new 2018 updates include:
800 H.O. Cleanfire Engine Update
New thermostat provides:
- Lower operating temperature, 110 degrees F (43.3º C) vs. 125 degrees F (51.6º C) for improved overheat margin and more consistent engine operation.
- Increases main circuit flow by 12 percent; increases bypass flow 9 percent.
- New thermostat will come on all 2018 snowmobiles with the 800 H.O. Cleanfire engine.
More durable exhaust gas temp sensor (EGT) providing more than 200 percent life improvement:
- Improved connector
- More durable sensing element
- Matched to new ECU
Sealed cross-shaft cavity crankcases provide additional lubrication and increased durability on both 600 and 800 H.O. Cleanfire engines.
Improved MAG end seal provides better sealing and increased durability on both 600 and 800 H.O.

RMK Monotube Shock Updates
MY18 RMK Monotube Shocks will feature all new valving with “Hi Flow” Walker Evans pistons on the front suspension and rear track shock that delivers less bottoming in the big bumps while maintaining a supple feel on the trail.
Polaris was looking at crank seals also

Speedcell Technologies-- Founding Member

Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue-snowmobile team

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
G-Force (11-23-2017), Solby (12-04-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Basic Member

I saw that. I'd like to know what the difference is in seal design.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Basic Member

Just got back from a quick rip, 20 miles or so. The sled pulls up quicker and pulls decent rpm, like 8200 wide open. I'm still fighting something else. I back out to 3/4 throttle or so and it instantly goes to 8350-8400 rpm and accelerates. Give it full throttle and it goes back to 8150-8200. I don't know if I'm dealing with a defective TPS or a detonation issue. I'm not getting any codes so I'll inspect the TPS system again.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 PM
shortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond repute

My sled does exact same thing I've checked tps and adjusted twice its right on .7 base and .940 idle. But I'm going to check wide open voltage tonight. There's other threads where guys with the same issue are seeing over 4.30 volts wide open. I think it needs to b around 4.25 but I'm not sure how to fix it other than trying another tps sensor or limiting the throttle from opening past 4.25 volts. Anyone with some insight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I have time to find the post but some throttle valves were opening too far and restricting airflow.

The symptoms you describe are identical. 90% throttle 8300 rpm. 100% throttle 79-8000 rpm.

Speedcell Technologies-- Founding Member

Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue-snowmobile team

The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
rx1tonofun (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Basic Member

I read a little about that too. I'm going to look into that when I get a chance.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Currently: tinkering
minus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond reputeminus40 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
My sled does exact same thing I've checked tps and adjusted twice its right on .7 base and .940 idle. But I'm going to check wide open voltage tonight. There's other threads where guys with the same issue are seeing over 4.30 volts wide open. I think it needs to b around 4.25 but I'm not sure how to fix it other than trying another tps sensor or limiting the throttle from opening past 4.25 volts. Anyone with some insight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I think limiting the throttle opening may be a fix. I believe the throttle plates going past 90 degrees is not the problem regarding airflow rather its the extra voltage from the tps like your suspecting. I have read about throttle bodies getting replaced due to loose shaft fit affecting the tps.

I do not know the magic numbers needed however my 17 has 4.179 according to DW and revs easily over 8400. Previous ride was 4.21 and liked 8350

Old 12-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM
shortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond reputeshortstuff has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM
GoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM
GoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigParts For This Useful Post:
rx1tonofun (12-05-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Currently: Waiting for winter
Thanked 2,129 Times in 780 Posts
TRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond reputeTRS has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Currently: Damaging the Axys, one trip at a time
Basic Member
adamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond reputeadamg has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register