• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel mod

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
i would do the support so you dont run into tunnel cracking like people haveing with the bdx bumper kit. thats why i went with van amburg

I didn't even know this was an option, too bad because it looks great. I did the BDX kit on my 04 last year and haven't seen any issues with cracking and I get stuck a lot:( This year I dumped the garbage BDX gusset things and put on 09 edge grips and gussets.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Here is a lousy picture from my Blackberry. I had to trim the footwells to make them fit right but I just mashed them over the top of the snow eliminators and riveted them on.

IMG00011.jpg

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I was just thinking, Has anyone tried taking an aftermarket tunnel and have the inside "TEFLON" coated like a frying pan, Maybe just the forward half? I wonder if this would keep the snow from sticking, And make it lighter overall while riding? Well, It is just an idea! It seems very durable while cleaning etc..

Mike

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I was just thinking, Has anyone tried taking an aftermarket tunnel and have the inside "TEFLON" coated like a frying pan, Maybe just the forward half? I wonder if this would keep the snow from sticking, And make it lighter overall while riding? Well, It is just an idea! It seems very durable while cleaning etc..

Mike

Yes, and it worked awesome. Now it's all powdercoated a wrinkle black and still doesn''t hold snow.

attachment.php

137-3728_IMG (Small).JPG

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
What are you going to do with the end of the tunnel?

I'm planning on basically doing the same thing that you have done so far, just don't know how I'm going to cap it off yet. Bend up some sheet alum and rivet it over maybe?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Reeb, It is hard to tell from the pic, Is the ctr. section coated and all the rest not coated? I would assume this is prior to the wrinkle black paint? The teflon may add weight, But I bet it is lighter overall! I probably wouldn't do around the cooler as it may need snow around it for cooling?

Thanks
Mike

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
What are you going to do with the end of the tunnel?

I'm planning on basically doing the same thing that you have done so far, just don't know how I'm going to cap it off yet. Bend up some sheet alum and rivet it over maybe?

yep, I am actually getting the pieces from 76fomoco. He had some made and you can buy them from him.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
oh really, that is good to know.

May if he see's this he will PM me with a price :cool:

I'm not selling them for a profit more for the love of the sport
they are 25.00 each and 10 for shipping. I have a local sheet metal shop make them out of aluminum of the same thickness as the tunnel. They are not perfect as each is hand made and has some lines i them from the way they have to be bent but the bumper covers most of this and each will need a little polish when done. but looks good in the end.
I will not have more until Wed of next week as I only have them made in small amounts.

0720091522.jpg

0722091100.jpg

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Reeb, It is hard to tell from the pic, Is the ctr. section coated and all the rest not coated? I would assume this is prior to the wrinkle black paint? The teflon may add weight, But I bet it is lighter overall! I probably wouldn't do around the cooler as it may need snow around it for cooling?

Thanks
Mike

I rode it like this for 2 years before I tore it all apart and PC'd it black. The entire underside was teflon coated except for my coolers, the one at the front of the bulkhead(hidden from view) and the rear cooler which was re-installed afterwards.

When I PC'd the sled I left both coolers in the tunnel and haven't had an issue with overheating or insufficient cooling at all.

T
Oct 15, 2009
SE idaho
I'm not selling them for a profit more for the love of the sport
they are 25.00 each and 10 for shipping. I have a local sheet metal shop make them out of aluminum of the same thickness as the tunnel. They are not perfect as each is hand made and has some lines i them from the way they have to be bent but the bumper covers most of this and each will need a little polish when done. but looks good in the end.
I will not have more until Wed of next week as I only have them made in small amounts.

0720091522.jpg

0722091100.jpg

hey wat are the parts you used to do this. i know you sell the end cap and wat bumper did you use braces etc. thanks

D
Nov 29, 2007
MN
Here are the part numbers that I just ordered from Babbitts. Hopefully someone will chime in if I have them wrong.

2008/9 Summit 800:
518325375 Rear Bumper, 163"

2009 M8 (same numbers as M1000) - any model
5606-594 Gusset, Tunnel Roll - Right
5606-595 Gusset, Tunnel Roll - Left

What did everyone use for rivets?

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I used 3/16 stainless steel rivets. I have tried aluminum rivets in the past with little success. They just aren't tough enough. Also, I used the top hole in the tunnel form the stock plastic bumper for the rear screw on the xp bumper. I think it worked out great.

D
Nov 29, 2007
MN
Thanks Rixster - did you source them locally or is there a better place to get them online?

Also when you mentioned screw - was that one of the parts from pulling the stock plastic?

Premium Features