• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk oil

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
not true. you can definitely correlate oil brand to engine failure. ie, NEVER use polaris ves oil. garbage, plain and simple. hence the reason they no longer make/sell it. of course you will never get them to admit that, instead it was "improved". point being, there is bad oil out there. personally i really don't like the polaris ves stuff (obviously) or any of the amsoil. (no offense ausm). i really don't like synthetic in general. if do run it, i run redline or klotz only. honestly, i buy the cheap stuff. the old non-synthetic cat oil is great, or any other off the shelf mineral based oil (snow2t is what is currently on my shelf). without getting into a hugely long post about why synthetic is not what it is cracked up to be, do a search for the oil post by indydan. very interesting stuff, and very knowledgeable. it is mostly in the polaris section. enjoy

pv
I also followed that post by indydan back in my polaris days, and did the research seems like the snow2t conforms to all the standards the rest of them do. I kinda forgot about that thread it was a good one from a smart guy, the main reason to use a synthetic in my opinion is on very cold days it won't gel but unless you live in the far north or store your sled outside in -30c weather i wouldn't worry about it. Snow2t gets my vote as well but don't get me wrong synthetic's have their place especialy in diesel engine's, but as far as price and quality goes snow2t takes er. Has anyone tried the A/C formula ss semi synthetic it says its for power valve engines only cheaper i have never even seen it? http://www.arcticcat.se/source.php/1241280/s131_138_2010_tbh_oljor_motorvard.pdf

Last edited:
M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I apreciate the input. There is a lot to be said for heeding the experienced advice of fellow sledders.

If anybody else wants to chime in, please do. This is turning out to be a constructive conversation.

U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
I've ran amsoil in both my polaris and my 05 King. Clean power valves at start of each season, not much buildup at all. Asking about oils is like asking which sled is better, everyone has their own personal experience or choice.

Z

zr600cce

Sep 20, 2008
Omaha, Ne
I would agree Uturn to your last comment. I run Blue Marble because I got it at dealer cost and have done so for 4 years now without problem. I like it better than Arctic Cat APV for smell and cleanliness, especially with power valves. If the sled is warrantied I would stick with your sled's brand oil.

K
Nov 26, 2007
Mpls, MN
I am a firm believer that synthetics are a better oil than a petroleum oil because they can formulate it to do what they want - low pour point, mix well and stay mixed with gas, burn clean, etc.
The great oil debate is one that will never come up with an end all answer - similar to the question of which pickup truck is best :).
Klotz is ONE of the premium oils out on the market today and there are many out there. It is a 100% synthetic oil that is made to exceed all sled makers warranties, run in either pre mix applications or in oil injection, and can be used in either sleds with or without exhaust valves.
My opinion, use a good quality oil in your sled, but don't be paying a cagillion dollars for a gallon! Be open to using non-sled brand oil in your sled and most importantly know that for every oil out there, someone knows someone who broke a crank, blew a seal, lost a track, fried a bogie wheel bearing, melted a hyfax, or lost a mud flap because of that XXX oil they had in their sled...

;):beer;

Pray for snow & lets ride!

Rick
Klotzlubemn@aol.com

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I am a firm believer that synthetics are a better oil than a petroleum oil because they can formulate it to do what they want - low pour point, mix well and stay mixed with gas, burn clean, etc.
The great oil debate is one that will never come up with an end all answer - similar to the question of which pickup truck is best :).
Klotz is ONE of the premium oils out on the market today and there are many out there. It is a 100% synthetic oil that is made to exceed all sled makers warranties, run in either pre mix applications or in oil injection, and can be used in either sleds with or without exhaust valves.
My opinion, use a good quality oil in your sled, but don't be paying a cagillion dollars for a gallon! Be open to using non-sled brand oil in your sled and most importantly know that for every oil out there, someone knows someone who broke a crank, blew a seal, lost a track, fried a bogie wheel bearing, melted a hyfax, or lost a mud flap because of that XXX oil they had in their sled...

;):beer;

Pray for snow & lets ride!

Rick
Klotzlubemn@aol.com

bwaaaahahahahaha....................................

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
As I stated before, I thank you all for your opinions.

What I am looking for is a clean burning oil that no-one can say anything bad about.

so far Redline and Klotz are the only two that I have found, that have that reputation, with Legend ZX2sr coming in 3rd.

I haven't heard any negative about Legend, just haven't heard a lot of peoples' input on that brand.

You have all been very helpful, and I would like to see more posts on this subject. Everyones opinion matters.

Thanks

Last edited:
R
Apr 13, 2002
Washington
I have had great luck with Klotz and also with Yamalube. Klotz has pretty much been covered here. Yamalube is a sythetic/petro blend, kind of the best of both worlds. Gives you the higher lubrication of a sythetic and coats everything good so when your sled, bike,ect. sit around for a couple weeks everything stays protected. Never ran it in a powervalve motor though. Can't comment on that. I'm torn on which to use in my new sled. (M8) It will definatly be one or the other.

Last edited:
U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
Amsoil burns cleaner than Cat APV, but I can't tell if it smells better. For those that love Cat APV, Shell always puts their synthetic(Same as APV) on sale in November.

I'll stick with mine.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
So I've been looking at the Legend ZX-2SR

ZX-2SR_Web_Photo2.jpg

http://legendperformance.com/article5.asp

http://legendperformance.com/testimonials.asp

It looks and sounds good. I've heard a couple of people talk very highly of Legend oil.

My question is: Has anybody had any bad experiences with Legend?

I'd like to know more about this product...

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
got 4 out of 5 sleds in our group running legends (other guy is arctic cat or bust) nothing bad yet...however APV oil made me stab my track 3 years ago and amsoil made my dog run away...if anyone out there knows of an oil that pays child support let me know

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
got 4 out of 5 sleds in our group running legends (other guy is arctic cat or bust) nothing bad yet...however APV oil made me stab my track 3 years ago and amsoil made my dog run away...if anyone out there knows of an oil that pays child support let me know

hyena-laughing.jpg

BORS170~Elvis-Presley-Laughing-Posters.jpg

woman%20laughing.JPG

old-man-laughing.jpg

george-bush-laughing.jpg

laughing_horse.jpg

Premium Features