• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good moutain setup for 2004 800 vertical escape

S
Dec 14, 2016
Hi guys.just bought this sled.it has been 12 years since riding in prairies. Now I bought this 2004 800 vertical escape. Took it out and just no power band to it.my buddy has a 1999rmk slp pipes and I took.it for a ride lots of power threw all throttles..what is a good set up for this sled..Jets. clutch set up....i put regular fuel in it..forgot..put 91 octane fuel in it..still no snap..I am running from 2000 to 7000 feet..I am looking at putting slp pipes.new reed valves from slp.and rebuild primary..how is air box on this sled.. I guess my weight does not help 220 lbs lol.... plesse I need a good set up.here for mountains. Took it to dealer 500..bucks and rides like poop.lol.i.like sled ..any info would help all.mountain riding..

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
If your going to do slp pipes go with there clutching and jetting specs and adjust from there. Also install there high flow intake kit and gut the air box.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Ditto to Steve's recommendations below.

That said, if the machine is not performing at least half decent now there is likely something wrong. Hopefully the dealer looked at all of the maintenance items & troubleshooting that go hand in hand with low performance? I.E. Compression / leakdown test, power valve cleaning / operation, clutch cleaning / spring condition, belt condition / deflection, carburetor cleaning / calibration, just to name a few.........

If your going to do slp pipes go with there clutching and jetting specs and adjust from there. Also install there high flow intake kit and gut the air box.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Crappy compression below 135 psi will give crappy performance. Compression should be at or above 145 psi. So you are going to have to do a ring job. It sounds like you are down around 120 psi.

If the crankshaft bearings are going out, you guessed it, more crappy performance. During the summer, if the sled had more than 3000 miles on it, you can take the engine apart and install a new PTO end bearing on a good crankshaft, piston rod bearings on the top end at the piston, and drill out the crankcase oil lubrication hole to the PTO bearing that the Polaris supplier decided to not install. And you are probably going to need a new front left engine mount because they go bad every 500 to 1000 miles.

If the bearings at the front and rear end of the track are shot, which they usually are at or above 2500 miles, yep, more crappy performance. The 3 rear idler bearings are easy to replace. But the front left driveshaft bearing replacement is a real bitch, especially since the drive shaft has extroverts. And don't forget to keep all the xerk fittings greased, especially that bad boy that is hidden at the front left driveshaft bearing. I just bought 2 sleds where the previous owners had not once greased any bearings or xerk fittings. Needless to say, the front left one disintegrated in flight on them, and they could not figure out that they had done anything wrong.

The spark plug leads get a little fried at the tip, but you can easily snip off 1/2" and screw the plug caps back onto the leads from the coil.

If it takes more than one pull to start it, then you get to rebuild the fuel pump by taking it apart and carefully flipping the round clear discs over and reinstalling them.

I concur on the single slp pipe for more HP, except a new one will cost you as much as the sled is worth at this point, since it needs rebuilding.

If you want track performance improvement, instead of power performance improvement, then ditch the Series IV track and get a Camplast Extreme with 3 lugs across that have stiffener ridges on them. Not the flat lug Extremes.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
When rebuilding with your used crankshaft, it is easy to pull the 2 bearings at each end of the crankshaft and replace them with new KOYO bearings. You will also want to grind out an oil pathway in the upper crankcase, to facilitate the oil flowing to the bearing at each end of the crankshaft. Otherwise, it just gets back pressure from the oil opening coming down square over the end bearing, resulting in very poor lubrication and crankshaft failure. Double PTO end bearings do not allow oil to get to the inner bearing races, so they will blow out faster than the stock double bearing with retrofitted oil pathways.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Get it running properly before worrying about the mountains. I had an 03 that cost me a year of troubleshooting due to poor performance, once i got it fixed up i rode the mountains without issues.

Don't be afraid of twin pipes, both my edge chassis sleds have twins and i wouldn't have it any other way. Just need a holtzman atacc to go with them.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Love these big block motors, you can really wake them up for cheap.

Start by checking your compression, jetting, gearing, and clutching then reply back here. Dial those in first before modding and when you do mod convert to pre-mix by drilling the cases. Don't be scared of twins and a high compression head.

Lots of info on this site if you do a search via google.

Premium Features