• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why can't a King Cat sidehill like an M sled?

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Its the same reason a halibut cant swim like a dolphin. A king kat is just not made to be graceful like a M-series hence the reason the mountain cat chassis was dropped. That being said theres nothing wrong with the KK if youve never been blessed with a ride on a m-series.............

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Its the same reason a halibut cant swim like a dolphin. A king kat is just not made to be graceful like a M-series hence the reason the mountain cat chassis was dropped. That being said theres nothing wrong with the KK if youve never been blessed with a ride on a m-series.............

I have each and the love the m for the side hill and ease of side to side.
Now with this said still ride the kk, the power is un-matched to the m and I can take the kk all the places i can take the m (with more effort). I do have some mods to the kk for power and the m is stock but all the m's i have rode 7, 8, 1k, leave me wanting to get back on my sled at the end. now with this said a lot has to do with set up! the transition on the m is smoother and the kk is a little more stitchy but you have to spend a lot O cash to get the m up to the power of the kk.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
I have each and the love the m for the side hill and ease of side to side.
Now with this said still ride the kk, the power is un-matched to the m and I can take the kk all the places i can take the m (with more effort). I do have some mods to the kk for power and the m is stock but all the m's i have rode 7, 8, 1k, leave me wanting to get back on my sled at the end. now with this said a lot has to do with set up! the transition on the m is smoother and the kk is a little more stitchy but you have to spend a lot O cash to get the m up to the power of the kk.

Too bad your are so far away, I would be willing to set up a 1M for you. I have $2k in pipe setup, fuel pressure regulator and Timbersled intake, egts. Also have a few extra bucks put into my trinkets, clutching, venting and egts etc etc. Ive been able to get my 09 1M to run very solid to open a few eyes. Like I said theres nothing wrong with a KK. What I have found tho is these 1M's are coming from AC still very detuned to meet emission standards and such. I couldnt believe once I got mine out of the crate and "apart" the things that "needed" to be done to get the potential out of it. I have an 06 m7 -900 big bore that has way to much money into to make it run strong. This 1M Ive got has pocket change into comparably and outruns the big bore night and day. Yes money is needed to make the KK go. A buddy of mine has a real gooder. but it has the money poured into . He recently bought an 08 1200 and now ill barely ride the KK. Unfare comparison there but he was totally taken by how the M-series handled and now hes hooked. Cheers

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
The 1M needs a longer shock upfront by .5" to raise it 2"+ Then the front of the skid needs to come down to match along with the back just a little. This will raise the bellypan a little further to reduce drag when laying over. Along with the rear tunnel cut it will work just fine being at the same height of ground clearance as the M sleds. Also replace the skii spacers with a spring to let the skii move inward when on edge as needed. This also helps greatly on the road as the suspension doesn't scrub when compressed, smoother ride up front. The ol'e girl needs just a little fine tuning!

Mike

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
You guys need to keep your sleds straight M1000 vs1M

Too bad your are so far away, I would be willing to set up a 1M for you. I have $2k in pipe setup, fuel pressure regulator and Timbersled intake, egts. Also have a few extra bucks put into my trinkets, clutching, venting and egts etc etc. Ive been able to get my 09 1M to run very solid to open a few eyes. Like I said theres nothing wrong with a KK. What I have found tho is these 1M's are coming from AC still very detuned to meet emission standards and such. I couldnt believe once I got mine out of the crate and "apart" the things that "needed" to be done to get the potential out of it. I have an 06 m7 -900 big bore that has way to much money into to make it run strong. This 1M Ive got has pocket change into comparably and outruns the big bore night and day. Yes money is needed to make the KK go. A buddy of mine has a real gooder. but it has the money poured into . He recently bought an 08 1200 and now ill barely ride the KK. Unfare comparison there but he was totally taken by how the M-series handled and now hes hooked. Cheers

Dude, I am confused, to me a 1M is a KK. An M series is a M-1000. -00"s

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I'll bet that, because I run drop brackets.........

with light spring pressure on the skis, my belly pan drags more.

Owen

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
with light spring pressure on the skis, my belly pan drags more.

Owen

But look at the size of the belly pan. It is like having a dog sled out there. So it floats. The 1M/KK's love to transfer. So when pointed up hill the skies and belly pan are a foot off the snow. And when side hilling or boondocking the belly pan is holding you up.

I really like to run the front soft. It has to return the the top with the rider. But no more than that. If you can't get the a-arms and front ski to collapse when pulling it over you will fight it.

It works well.

Thunder

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I've staunchly defended my King for years now,

But I think I'll have to say. The King only handles good when climbing. I can drive it like a Jetski. Now comming down a slope and power turning to go back up. The M-8 has my vote.

Owen

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Watch the movie Schooled with Bret Rasmussen and Chris Burandt.

As far as the sled goes its alot of time and not being afraid to make suspension changes. I found that a softer front end and putting the rear wheels to the inside helped me to get her on the side. As far as being able to sidehill through some tough terrain its alot of skill involved.

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
get some slp pp's and move the steering post forward, night and day with the post mod alone. and 2'' bar risers. dont get me wrong, the the M's are great sleds, i just have to many parts for the 1M's to change chassis now.

Will

Last edited:
R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
I used to ride a king cat and 2 yrs ago I jumped on my buddies m-8 for a test run on a hill and I could not lay that thing on its side to save my butt. Maybe it is just that I was used to the king but man that thing really felt bad to me. Now last year I snow checked a new xp and the first time I rode that machine it was just like the king I could do whatever I wanted to do with it, I don't know why but that has been my experience.

Premium Features