• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride Reviews of the ALPHA ONE

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If the 18 MC is truly the best sled on snow, then Cat has done a terrific job keeping that secret from almost everybody on the hills of Utah. I RARELY see a cat around here. Nothing but Poo and Doo.

Just imagine - you might be right. It might be the best sled out there, but with nobody getting the opportunity to try it out, nobody will ever know about it.

I'm sorry, but when you've been in the gutter as far as cat has been since 2012, even if you do put out the best sled, you have to set up a LOT of demos in order for people to even give you a chance again. Otherwise, guys like me read reviews from sponsored riders who couldn't possibly be expected to say anything otherwise, Snowest, who also couldn't possibly be expected to say anything mean, and if that's all we get, we just roll our eyes and say "yup, more of the same I guess; well, am I going to buy a Poo or a Doo this year?"

My favorite, by far, local dealer is a Cat dealer, so believe me, I YEARN for the days of '08-'11 to return when cat was indisputably on top. But in the meantime, it's going to take a lot more than a little video of Kincaid and McClure telling me so in order for me to believe that a company that as of two years ago seemed just completely disinterested in the whole mountain segment is suddenly the mountain leader again.

You need to get out more. Just because within your groups or riding areas you ride there aren't any 18 cats around, doesn't mean they aren't picking up a big share of the market. The 18 Cat is a real contender, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say otherwise that has ridden one or saw one run. Most of the comments I hear are "wow, that thing rips huh?!" They flat out work. And they flat out work right out of the box without clutch kits or belt heat issues. There is no doubt in my mind they get up on the snow far better than the G4 I rode last year. Which is a shame because I think the doo does have a bit better top end, it just trenches more. Anyway, the places I've ridden and my friends have ridden (all over the west), there are lots of new cats showing up...

E
Dec 24, 2011
Yakima wa
The 18 itself is unlike any other sled before it, does it have the pull of the 850?! No I don't believe so... but I like the way it handles and it holds up to over 2000 miles a season..... the 19 will be better yet don't knock it until you try it.... I am happy a company is at least trying to think out of the box.

Man I felt that the 18 cat has way more top end than the 850. Every 850 we have compared the 18 cat to gets destroyed. Even the Axys has no chance against the 18 cat. I switch between brands all the time to compare and the cat comes out on top most of the time. The 18 cat is an animal. Even the Axys riders in my group say after trying the cat they want to get one.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Man I felt that the 18 cat has way more top end than the 850. Every 850 we have compared the 18 cat to gets destroyed. Even the Axys has no chance against the 18 cat. I switch between brands all the time to compare and the cat comes out on top most of the time. The 18 cat is an animal. Even the Axys riders in my group say after trying the cat they want to get one.

We've seen the same thing. But I really do think the 850 has more hp up top, but it just doesn't get it to the snow like the MCat does.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
A lot of what I've read so far just reflects how poor Cat's marketing team still is: those outside of the consistent Cat following don't know how good their current model sled is, no hype, no comparisons, no ride reviews, no demos, and they still can't get their website and stats up to date correctly (WTF is this a problem in this age?).

Meanwhile, Polaris could sell a ketchup popsicle to every person in a white shirt!

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I was saying pull good sir, the 850 stock for stock pulls harder off the bottom just my opinion, as for Polaris, I don't feel there even in the game,

D
Mar 13, 2014
You need to get out more. Just because within your groups or riding areas you ride there aren't any 18 cats around, doesn't mean they aren't picking up a big share of the market. The 18 Cat is a real contender, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say otherwise that has ridden one or saw one run. Most of the comments I hear are "wow, that thing rips huh?!" They flat out work. And they flat out work right out of the box without clutch kits or belt heat issues. There is no doubt in my mind they get up on the snow far better than the G4 I rode last year. Which is a shame because I think the doo does have a bit better top end, it just trenches more. Anyway, the places I've ridden and my friends have ridden (all over the west), there are lots of new cats showing up...

He is right. I ride in Utah and at the trailhead it is really rare to see a Cat. I do have a friend that rides a Cat in my group though.

Edit: I did have 3 unload in front of me last weekend...But that was a first.

Last edited:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
He is right. I ride in Utah and at the trailhead it is really rare to see a Cat. I do have a friend that rides a Cat in my group though.

I totally get that... it's a bit like driving through some parts of the country and not seeing a Ford for hundreds of miles and then the next few hundred that's all there is. ADS in SLC has a great store and sells a ton of Doo and Polaris sleds, that probably isn't helping Cat's case down there.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I totally get that... it's a bit like driving through some parts of the country and not seeing a Ford for hundreds of miles and then the next few hundred that's all there is. ADS in SLC has a great store and sells a ton of Doo and Polaris sleds, that probably isn't helping Cat's case down there.

There are a lot of Doo and Polaris dealers here in the area.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yay
59f955161c15ed150543d3ab5c31497d.jpg

Alpha ......

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Yes!!! Exactly!! 6 pages of "ride reports" and not a single person has actually ridden one!! That is not the fault of "the forum". That is the fault of Arctic Cat and everybody associated with them.

We all came here looking for the same thing. We all came to this thread saying "well, Cat doesn't want to let me try one out, so let's try this thread and see if there is anybody impartial there that has been allowed to try one out"...nope.

And no, I don't need to get out more. I get out plenty and I know what I'm seeing at the trailhead and with a lot of different various groups I end up riding with. I would LOVE to try an 18 MC hoping you are completely correct. Unfortunately, I can't find a demo, I can't find a buddy to ride with to let me try his for 20 minutes on the hill, shoot, I can't hardly even find a cat rental in order for me to pay for my demo if I was so desperate.

My favorite aforementioned dealer, who got his start with Cat, and made most of his living on snowmobiles up until 7 years ago, has his showroom full of everything but cat and is so disenchanted it's palpable. I guarantee he isn't excited to take me on a free demo ride.

I want to give this company a chance!!! I guess only time will tell if I'm ever afforded that opportunity.

P.S. One last note: Cat still isn't publishing dry weight numbers? Who are they Yamaha? A bunch of fat pigs so ashamed of their weight that they won't tell anybody what it is?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yes!!! Exactly!! 6 pages of "ride reports" and not a single person has actually ridden one!! That is not the fault of "the forum". That is the fault of Arctic Cat and everybody associated with them.

We all came here looking for the same thing. We all came to this thread saying "well, Cat doesn't want to let me try one out, so let's try this thread and see if there is anybody impartial there that has been allowed to try one out"...nope.

And no, I don't need to get out more. I get out plenty and I know what I'm seeing at the trailhead and with a lot of different various groups I end up riding with. I would LOVE to try an 18 MC hoping you are completely correct. Unfortunately, I can't find a demo, I can't find a buddy to ride with to let me try his for 20 minutes on the hill, shoot, I can't hardly even find a cat rental in order for me to pay for my demo if I was so desperate.

My favorite aforementioned dealer, who got his start with Cat, and made most of his living on snowmobiles up until 7 years ago, has his showroom full of everything but cat and is so disenchanted it's palpable. I guarantee he isn't excited to take me on a free demo ride.

I want to give this company a chance!!! I guess only time will tell if I'm ever afforded that opportunity.

P.S. One last note: Cat still isn't publishing dry weight numbers? Who are they Yamaha? A bunch of fat pigs so ashamed of their weight that they won't tell anybody what it is?
P.S. ...yes they are. Look.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Link?

Please post link. Certainly possible that I'm just being blind and missing it. Would love to see.

Woops, found it for the Alpha One - sweet, thanks for pointing that out. That's a great move in the right direction. Awesome!!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yes, listed in specs both on the model pages and in the downloadable spec sheets. Still trying to make sense of all the weights... I see the Mountain Cat is listed as the heaviest model but also says electric start is standard in the specs. Hardcore shows 1 lb heavier than the Alpha so thats confusing as well.

Someone with a little pull should get someone from Cat on here for a little Q&A :face-icon-small-hap .... wouldnt wanna be that guy!

I see all the pics on the site of the 154” Alpha have the 165” tunnel. That would be dumb, but they used to put a 141” under the 153” tunnel so who knows.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca

Utah arguably has one of the best cat dealers in the west if not the nation. Cutler's has been a staple name with Arctic Cat for many years.
Id love to try an alpha cat. I wanna see what its all about. I like innovation. Not getting these sleds out to the public is a huge mistake IMO.
Also, lets just see what march 5th brings :face-icon-small-coo

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Serious question cause I don't know, how many people on this forum rode a G4 within the first 5 days of Skidoo launching it? How about the same question for the Axys? I want to ride an Alpha badly and hope they have demo units in West next week. We'll see...

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Serious question cause I don't know, how many people on this forum rode a G4 within the first 5 days of Skidoo launching it? How about the same question for the Axys? I want to ride an Alpha badly and hope they have demo units in West next week. We'll see...

Not sure about the G4, but Polaris recruited forum members to ride the Axys before it was even released to the public.

In one of the cat videos i watched about the Alpha, Rob Kincaid said something like only 6-8 people have even ridden it. So Rob & Dave, and a handful of magazine guys?

I heard Snowest is riding all of the 2019s around west yellowstone/ island park right now. They seem to be inconsistent with their reviews, I've noticed them praising the T-motion, and I've seen comments complaining about it causing washout. Hopefully we can get some somewhat honest opinions from them soon, at least as a start.

I'll be riding the area Saturday, think they'd let me take it for a spin if i ran into them?

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
Heard cat and doo will have demos in west

Hoss

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Utah arguably has one of the best cat dealers in the west if not the nation. Cutler's has been a staple name with Arctic Cat for many years.
Id love to try an alpha cat. I wanna see what its all about. I like innovation. Not getting these sleds out to the public is a huge mistake IMO.
Also, lets just see what march 5th brings :face-icon-small-coo

Totally agree!

If Cat was smart, they would of shipped demo Alpha Cats to each mountain dealer the day after the show.

When you come out with a revolutionary change, you can't just expect people to step up and snowcheck it without lots of people throwing a leg over one.

IMO snowcheck only is a mistake and not having the demos ready to go is also a mistake.

I'm also interested to see what Polaris comes out with.

Premium Features