• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 King Cat track issues???

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Bought a 05 KC 162" this year. It has a camoplast 2.5 ", not the original track. It has gouges / tears down to fibers along outside of track. It is tearing on the inside, on most sections where there is no lug.
I also get a nasty rubbing feeling / noise when riding at slow speeds, going over bumps on hard pack seems to be the worst.

Should I be concerned? Has anyone else had similiar issues? I'm trying to like this sled, but not sure about the track issue.

Pictures are not great, you can see the white patches where it is ripping out.

Thanks for any input,

Doug

tracktears1.jpg tracktears2.jpg

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
The nasty growling, rubbing noise is probably the track driveshaft hitting the bumps. The first time I ever rode a 1M it was doing the same thing. I almost refused to ever ride one again, but the ones I have had since only seem to do it occasionally. Like you said mostly on hard packed moguls. I also had a track that was doing the same thing yours looks like. The previous owner had ported it on the outside belt and the holes ran directly over the idler wheels on the upper rear arm, It was causing the rubber on the track to come loose from the cording inside, then snow and ice would start working in between and made it growl even more. I have also seen one or two tracks that started working the rubber loose over the screw head marks in the molding. They would do the same, let snow and ice in and just get worse. Maybe check and see that the upper idlers are running where they are supposed to and haven't worked out a little. Also check your track tension, if your track is too tight it would make the track pull over the idlers harder and make the problem worse.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Thanks for your responses. Not sure about the torsion springs, they seem to be further inside the track? Can the rear spring go bad and cause probs like this? Is there a good way to check if the idler wheels are bad or out of place? Is there a easy was to check Track tension, I tightened it a bit thinking it might be loose and sliding in some way.

Maybe I should just ride the heck out of it and hope nothing tears loose?

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Hey Doug

I had same issue on my kk after installing drop brackets with the vibration, what I found was the end of the track rails were hitting the drivers, you can tell if they are hitting by looking at the end of the rail tip and if there are scuff marks, easy fix is to cut the end of the rail back, check out pictures, this year I installed IceAge rails because of cracking on stock rails and I had them cut of the end for me, Goodluck MADDOFWFO

P1010100.jpg P1010099002.jpg

Premium Features