• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb 7 G2 Ski vs. Gripper Ski

daknapp

Premium Member
Aug 29, 2013
Adirondacks, Northern NY
I realize this has already been debated, but...

I pick up a 2019 M8000 162 Mtn Cat later this week. I quickly changed the skis on my 2018 M6000 to the Gripper skis because the OEM skis just seemed to have to much flex and would dive in deeper snows.

What can I expect for the PC 7 G2 skis ? I'm heading for Wyoming at the end of February and not sure what I'll have for snow conditions here in northeast New York to get a feel for the OEM skis. I'll take the Gripper skis along obviously but they'd be a lot easier to change out in my garage.

Thanks for the input !

dak

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
For the most part really close the Keel on the back of the 7 ski is a little bit bigger give you just a little bit more arm pump and shoulder pump I prefer the gripper still not by much

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I agree with Kiliki.
Gripper is a bit easier to turn and less arm pump but the 19 ski does seem to turn the sled faster. I have the grippers on my Alpha, gonna put the 19's back on to see if my it is the same as i remember.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Noticed something really interesting on the grippers yesterday on my 18’. We got 24” of snow about 10 days ago and another 6” 3 days after. So the snow I was riding in had “6 of pretty light snow on top of hard layer and heavier snow underneath. When sidehiller or cutting hard. The ski that broke through the hard layer would flex at the tip agsinst the denser snow underneath. The gripper would flex so bad it would almost stop you. A couple times it almost threw me off the sled it would stop me so fast. Put my slydog attacks back on. The attacks are very stiff. With the attacks the problem was gone. The ski wound dive under and hold thier molded shape and just carve like you want them to. Still really liking the attacks. I think my days of grippers is over.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I've always ran grippers. Have grippers on my wifes 16 and was planning on swapping my Alpha skis for those when I got it. After riding it a couple times. I honestly cannot tell a handling difference between the 19 skis and my grippers on previous skis. They do not dive they are not unpredictable like previous cat skis. I always had issues with my grippers getting ice under the rubber and pushing out and also the holes on the skis get stretched out from aggressive riding. These cat skis are setup so that won't happen. I've decided to just keep the 19 skis on my Alpha. I would ride it and not even think about it they are really really close.

The only thing I still hate about the cat skis is the stupid loops but not worth changing them out.

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
SLP Mohawks rocking for me

Just replaced the stock crap skis on my '16 M8000 with Mohawks and wishing I did it a long time ago. Love the sled but always having trouble with the tipping point and the balancing act learning curve coming from the previous M8, which I could ride like a raped ape.

Ditching the sock skis is the single best thing to do on these cats that come with such knifey, divey skis. I never had a good pair of aftermarket skis until now, and have always wanted to. The Mohawks have cured everything, from trail to bottlomless for this sled and me. Unbelievable!

I live at the base of the Tetons on the west side, in Idaho. I ride from my driveway to the wilderness boundary at 10,470 feet. Also have a cabin up in Island Park. I am very lucky to live and ride where I do. Can't say what this sled and Mohawk skis would do back in my home state of New York where the original poster is from, but I can tell you that from my recent experience, I have some OEM crappy cat skis for sale.

All the best,

Stovey

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Just replaced the stock crap skis on my '16 M8000 with Mohawks and wishing I did it a long time ago. Love the sled but always having trouble with the tipping point and the balancing act learning curve coming from the previous M8, which I could ride like a raped ape.

Ditching the sock skis is the single best thing to do on these cats that come with such knifey, divey skis. I never had a good pair of aftermarket skis until now, and have always wanted to. The Mohawks have cured everything, from trail to bottlomless for this sled and me. Unbelievable!

I live at the base of the Tetons on the west side, in Idaho. I ride from my driveway to the wilderness boundary at 10,470 feet. Also have a cabin up in Island Park. I am very lucky to live and ride where I do. Can't say what this sled and Mohawk skis would do back in my home state of New York where the original poster is from, but I can tell you that from my recent experience, I have some OEM crappy cat skis for sale.

All the best,

Stovey

Yes all cat skis prior to 2019 were complete garbage. I absolutley hated them everytime I rode someone else's sled that still had stock cat skis on it. That really isn't even debatable for anyone that has rode any other ski.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The 19 stock skis and Grippers are so close. Close enough, I've kept the stock skis on the Alpha just so I don't have to deal with the rubbers. They don't last long with the Grippers. For any other year AC stock ski, completely worth dealing with the rubber breaking fast using the gripper skis.

I do want to try the Attacks. Have heard and read nothing but positive reviews.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The 19 stock skis and Grippers are so close. Close enough, I've kept the stock skis on the Alpha just so I don't have to deal with the rubbers. They don't last long with the Grippers. For any other year AC stock ski, completely worth dealing with the rubber breaking fast using the gripper skis.

Try some durapro ski rubbers with the grippers.
(Shim them tight)

Really helps with carving consistency. (Like having extra suspension)

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

I have slydog attacks on two sleds. Love the performance, on and off trail. I have two complaints with them. One, they weight 2lbs more each with hardware. On the upside they are made to last. I could see a pair of these easily out lasting 2-3 pairs of grippers for a hard mountain rider. The second thing is the runners do not stay in at all. There is nothing designed into the ski to stop the rubber from sliding out the rear under the spindle. After losing a couple robbers I made some little rubber stops that hold them in. Personally I think the on and of trail performance is better than the gripper or 19’ cat ski (if you can keep the runners in).

killergiller

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
Northern CA
I completely agree with the posts that all previous Cat Skis are Crapola...until the 19's, I can honestly say that the G7's actually do a good job and like others have said, it is not likely you will be able to tell the difference between your aftermarkets and the stock variants...finally.

Good luck

Premium Features