• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idle question

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Quick question on idle adjustment. I just changed reeds today.
After getting everything back together, I started it up with no issues. But it idled down from 2100 like always, but it was idling around 1700. Normally its around 1800.

I’m thinking I might have turned something in the throttle bodies enough to cause a lower idle. I’ve searched but can’t find an idle screw. Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
If you had a lot of time on the old reeds they would be softer. New reeds are still stiff and they close tightly. I recently put new reed petals in my 800 Zuke and experienced the same reduction in idle rpm you mention. My old petals were starting to chip and most of them were not closing tight like the new ones.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I just tried something out of curiosity.
I pulled the hood, air box out slightly, just enough to break the seal of the hood and air box. The idle went up to about 1780. It fluctuated a little up and down from there. So still confused but a little more info I guess.
Wanting to ride tomorrow and hoping to not have an issue when I get out.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
If you had a lot of time on the old reeds they would be softer. New reeds are still stiff and they close tightly. I recently put new reed petals in my 800 Zuke and experienced the same reduction in idle rpm you mention. My old petals were starting to chip and most of them were not closing tight like the new ones.

Yes they had about 1500 miles on them. No chipping but there was no seal on any of them. Quite a gap except for a couple pedals.

So did proper idle come back?

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
On my machine idle speed had been increasing. With the new petals it was about 1700 or a bit more after it settled in. After about 100 miles it is now nearer to 1800, and that is where mine has traditionally settled to.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Idle cane back to near normal by the end of the day today.
Thanks again Betterview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features