• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BD sidekick experience

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
call BD, im betting your wastgate needs adjusted, have 2 buddies on cats that i know of and they were both running as you guys have described and adjusted their wastegate and night and day.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
my rg boony kit was doinf the same. adjusted the accel mode in my boony box and it has been as smiles since. I love having my boony box. you always have options then. if ya want it to be plug and play, leave it be. if ya need to tinker, the option is there. I had a long pull out with a dead sled last year. Was worried about being lean in the bottom end while pulling, added fuel, no more worries. need a little more boost for a big climb....the option is there. I will never run a turbo without the box. I was intimidated by it at first but once ya play with it for 5 mins, its dead easy. just my opinion... hope you guys get it figured. if not, chuck a box on.

Last edited:
S
Sep 6, 2009
Just got my kit installed and I'm in same boat as acidaho sluggish on bottom and only pulling 7800 ish...did you find it to be wastegate? Or is clutching the culprit? Any feedback is much appreciated!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Just got my kit installed and I'm in same boat as acidaho sluggish on bottom and only pulling 7800 ish...did you find it to be wastegate? Or is clutching the culprit? Any feedback is much appreciated!

Wastegate adjustment was the main issue for me. I have talked to a couple guys that went to a 38-48 helix and added a little bit of weight and say it pulls harder on the bottom that way. Its strange to me that you aren't pulling tach on the top. I haven't had that issue at all if I get passed the bottom.

A
Jan 25, 2009
Boise, Id
I adjusted my wastegate also check your clear breather line that's coming off the ecu to make sure it isn't melted closed or plugged also there is a black tube coming off the bd box check the connection on both ends then give it a rip I'm going to change my helix and probably try the cutler adjustable weights or the turbo weights from mds. Hopefully that's helpful

S
Sep 6, 2009
Headed home from work to get this thing dialed in this week anyone have anymore info? I'm going to check the hoses first then the wastegate. I read it should be seated but still rotate is that correct? Then I will continue on to clutching.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I mounted the ECU in the nose of the bulk head. Runs better now.

Stock gears you need all the weight in the tip and non in the heal. Make it engage at 4500-4800rpm

S
Sep 6, 2009
Well pulled the hood off today and sure enough the ecu breather was melted off so I cut it down secured it better and took it for a quick rip seemed much better on top end but not sure if it was just me thinking that? Could it make that much difference? Tomorrow I will relocate ecu and move the weights to the heel and go from there!

S
Sep 6, 2009
Ok guys I need some help. I have pulled magnets out of the weights and only pulling 8100ish I have them set 0012 heel to tip. I Weighed them and they only weigh 68g ish how can this be possible that I’m pulling the same weight as it was stock? I have the purple spring installed and started with weights 1221 as directed by boondocker at the time. Could I have something plugged in wrong? Boost leak? I’ve moved Ecu and boondocker box to front as mentioned earlier. The butt meter doesn’t feel like any Magical power either but maybe I’m just used to it already? Pulling my 8100 is probably around 5500 elevation.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Ok guys I need some help. I have pulled magnets out of the weights and only pulling 8100ish I have them set 0012 heel to tip. I Weighed them and they only weigh 68g ish how can this be possible that I’m pulling the same weight as it was stock? I have the purple spring installed and started with weights 1221 as directed by boondocker at the time. Could I have something plugged in wrong? Boost leak? I’ve moved Ecu and boondocker box to front as mentioned earlier. The butt meter doesn’t feel like any Magical power either but maybe I’m just used to it already? Pulling my 8100 is probably around 5500 elevation.

Check the bushings in your weights they are probably worn and causing the weights to stick. Mine rips with them set at 1221 until the bushings go out which is every couple hundred miles. I have some 76 gram cat weights from a 4 stroke turbo I bought from Boondockers I am trying but they are a little too heavy gonna grind a gram out and see what happens. Gotta try my new helix first so I have baseline for the change between the helix and the weights.

S
Sep 6, 2009
Thank you for the reply! Bushings in the weights? Or the rollers? I’ve looked everything over but will double check. I did call boondocker and apparently there was an update so sent them my box and got ecu relocation bracket. Also pulled everything off to double check everything nothing stood out as wrong except possible timing module plugged in wrong but not sure if it was or not. As I took it off lost track of which went where. Hopefully update helps. Also what are your rpms at what elevation?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Thank you for the reply! Bushings in the weights? Or the rollers? I’ve looked everything over but will double check. I did call boondocker and apparently there was an update so sent them my box and got ecu relocation bracket. Also pulled everything off to double check everything nothing stood out as wrong except possible timing module plugged in wrong but not sure if it was or not. As I took it off lost track of which went where. Hopefully update helps. Also what are your rpms at what elevation?

Yes the bushings in the holes of the weights wear and cause the weights to stick which eventually can cause flat spots in the rollers too. I did both.

When shes ripping I am right around 8250 at elevations above 7k don't really get on it much any lower cuz thats usually just a trail in haven't rode it much above 10500 either.

The box reflash and ECU relocate are both a must we fought those issues for most of last season.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
really? your not going to find a "bolt on" turbo kit that is turn key. unless you have some knowledge of tuning a turbo 2 stroke you'll have a steep learning curve

With the Sidekick, there is no tuning. Bolt on and go. There are literally no buttons etc, They are running excellent out of the box on the new Ascender. You have to know what you want When you order. The straight 2860 is quick and responsive. The GTX is more of a WOT hillclimb turbo. Clutching is personal preference. The clutch parts included are a baseline for everyone. You can do a lot in your clutching.

If you have the "auto", no tuning, and have an issue. Call asap and we will get you taken care of.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’m wondering why the guys having problems are asking for help on the internet? Why aren’t you going straight to the source and getting your help from BD direct???

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I’m wondering why the guys having problems are asking for help on the internet? Why aren’t you going straight to the source and getting your help from BD direct???

Call bd and ask for help, then you’ll know the answer to this question. If you’re lucky enough and get transferred 4 or 5 times and finally get someone who knows something, then they can be pretty good.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Sounds like it needs some tuning. Turbo's are never turn key they always need dialing in.

Just a fun PSA - turbos have changed immensely the last few years. There are a handful, such as the Sidekick and Silber's offerings that literally do not offer any tuning options. Bolt on. Pull rope. Go.

Though they operate differently, they both are aiming toward the same goal.

Learn what you are writing about my man! It'll help the community at large...

Premium Features