• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 mxz 700 I'm fairly new to sleds and I have some general questions

G
Nov 22, 2017
Hey everyone, first post for me. I'm looking into getting a couple sleds this year and I have came across a 02 mxz 700, from what I have read online people have said good things about them. My main concern is that this sled isn't running. Thanks guy who has it said that he had a friend take off the stator to use it on another sled and it didn't work out so his friend put the stator back on the 700 but, he didn't add lock tight and it ended up messing up the crank. I've always done my own work, on a lot of different types of vehicles and I can't really see how the stator could bend the crank, anyone have any idea? But, he says that he has all the parts to fix the sled, top end rebuild kit, new crank in the box, yada yada. He doesn't want to touch it, I don't think he's that good/confident of a mechanic, or he knows something that I don't. Would this be that big of a project? What should I look out for in the bottom end that could have been damaged along with the crank that this guy could have missed? What should I be looking for when I go to look at this basket case? And what do you guys think it's worth? The track was replaced and is still fairly fresh, it is one that has the little ice studs in the lugs. I guess the sled has been sitting for 2 years. Thanks you guys, I know these questions can have some long winded answers but, try to look at it like this, I don't have experience with snowmobiles but I'm familiar with dirt bikes, ATVs, cars and all that stuff so I'm fairly experienced and I feel like I can do this just fine, Ive just never done it before.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
First off welcome to the forum. Next where you from, just nice to know is all? As far as the rebuild goes make sure the new crank is in new condition, I mean if it's been stored in a box in a outdoor shop it could have rust starting to form on it. Get a manual and you should be just fine rebuilding it as long as it's not tore down already because then your just asking for problems. As far as what it's worth, how many miles are on it? Really a none running short track machine around the west is worth $500 if that. Really I would wait and find a running machine if I was you. Where I'm at you could find a sled like that in good shape for around 1000-1500 bucks.

G
Nov 22, 2017
Hey man, thanks for the reply. Yea I was thinking 500 or less. He said it has about 3500 miles on it. I'd like to have a running sled but, it would also be nice to have a good sled that I have gone through and rebuilt for less money. I'm planning on getting another, probably a utility sled we can use for skidding logs and backup. I live in upstate NY, in the finger lakes area, but we have a couple cabins upstate farther that have a lot of snowmobile trails. Thanks again

Premium Features