• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why

A
Jan 28, 2010
When my viper gets vertical or is rolled over sometimes it won't restart. Have to disconnect power and reconnect and it's fine. What's the fix for this. Stage 2 mpi

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
It's in the programming. Sometime around 2015-2016 Yamaha updated the programming so that if there is a loss of oil pressure, the ECU shuts down the engine for a specific amount of time. When you disconnect the battery, what you are doing is effectively re-setting the ECU timer.

The original 2014 based programming did not do this and EVO can re-flash the ECU and use 2014 base programming. Not sure if they have a re-flash for stage 2 MPI sleds though, so you may want to call them.

Also the original 2014 flash was for 8 tooth drivers, so if you have 7 tooth driver's your speedo/odometer will read slightly faster then actual speed/mileage. That said, EVO may be able to correct for that now.

A
Jan 28, 2010
I have a tether and mpi fix for leaking oil, doesn't seem to lose oil when upside down or vertical. But the oil light comes on and won't restart until battery disconnected. Was hoping someone new a fix for this I could do at home. It's done it in some very precarious situations

MOUNTAINGOATXRS

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Get an 850.... easiest fix for your nose heavy, oil leaking, boosted compensation for pathetic excuse of a mountain sled.
Cheer's

X
Oct 8, 2009
Funny quote on the 850. Its a nice sled, but they have problems too. I know someone whose stock 850 burned down in the back country due to an electrical problem from the factory. Vipers are very capable mountain sleds. They just need to be setup correctly.

MOUNTAINGOATXRS

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Just shoveling the $hit back on the OP. Dude trolls the 850 forums ...do a user message post...OP is...well I'll suggest you decide.

C
Feb 7, 2010
NE WA
Why?

I just converted my 15 mtx sr viper oil tank to the current sidewinder tank, total cost was under 300 us. It was a complete bolt on without mods. The sidewinder has a vacuum operated Rov that gets plumbed into the air intake tube. I took the time and found all parts through babbitts online, 100 miles so far and does great. Cheaper than the oil pressure bypass and a four-stroke solutions rov and it instantly fires back up after its rolled.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
My viper has done that twice to me, once after rolling and another time after being stuck at an awkward angle. Both times it would start and then die due to no oil pressure. Each time I had to blip the throttle to get the pump primed. (against my better judgement) I love my sled otherwise, but the oil system losing prime like that isn't cool.

Premium Features