• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spare quick drive belt question

D
Nov 11, 2012
I just bought a spare drive belt from polaris & there's a sticker over the flap on the box that says to leave the belt in the box until installing. Are they serious? I'm not about to pack a box with me on the hill. What difference would it make?

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
None.
Just be conscious about it and treat it like the part it is - something that could determine whether you or your sled spends a night in the mountain/bush.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Heres what I came up with 2 seasons ago:

The images were taken while I was test fitting it.
-I placed small cut peices of self adhesive closed cell foam strips on the 3 points of the overstructure that the belt would make contact.
-The three zip ties were not tight, only enough to keep the belt resting against the foam strips. Too tight and I felt they might rub or cut the surface of the belt.

Worked well for 2 seasons

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Maybe just a thought in you're storage method. I know heat cycling is important to proper quick drive break in. With it that close to the exhaust have u considered flipping the belt over in its holder? The side closer to the exhaust may have started partial "break in" while the top side may not

I mean this is all relative to under hood temps and orientation to the pipe.

I'm basically looking at it like a conventional oven and maybe it's time to "flip dinner" before one side is burnt

Just some thoughts

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
There is alot more clearance between the belt and exhaust than it looks like in the images. It would be easy enough to use foil tape to protect the belt if someone felt it was necessary... I did not.
This belt was in this position for quite some time, and when I finally needed to use it, it performed for a 2000 mile season up until the sled was stolen.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I am inclined to believe that storing as you do wound be a good thing

With how they say to heat cycle for proper break in. Storing it close but not too close to the exhaust could in theory start the break in procedure. That's why I mentioned flipping the belt. Get a more uniform break in

If it held true you wouldn't be starting off with a non broken in belt.

Although I can't think of any non controlled environment to test such a theory

Premium Features