• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'04 trail edge rmk engine swap questions

T
Oct 21, 2014
so im thinking about picking up a '04 trail edge rmk 550 for CHEAP and after reading all the problems with the '04 550 im wondering if it is possible to swap out the 550 for a 600/700/800 or a '09-'11 500?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Anything is possible... ;)

You can readily put a 500/600/700/800 from the edge chassis days in that chassis. You will need to make some changes, cut some holes, add coolers and such. But the basic chassis is the same for the fan vs liquid motors.

I personally think the 550 problems are way over blown. There are a million of those things running around in rental fleets without any issues.

sled_guy

B
Jan 27, 2008
If you are really concerned, drop 488 in there! Can't get more reliable than the most reliable sled engine ever built!!!!!!!IMHO

T
Oct 21, 2014
this sled has over 5000 on the clock, ive been told that the top was redone around 3000. i thinking about my options if it craps out, and with a little bit of research i have found that parts for the 550 are getting hard to find, so it would come down to an engine swap. if i am going to the trouble why not kick it in the pants?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Reasons not to? It's a 10 year old sled with 5000 miles on it. Other parts on the chassis are probably going to need attention like bearings and bushings and such.

Also, dropping a liquid in is going to be a lot of work and not cheap at all.

What parts for the 550 are getting hard to find? Polaris still builds that motor.

The easiest way to do a swap to a liquid would be to find a donor sled that maybe has been wrecked in the front end or something. That way you could pull all the pieces off you need that are different from your sled.

sled_guy

this sled has over 5000 on the clock, ive been told that the top was redone around 3000. i thinking about my options if it craps out, and with a little bit of research i have found that parts for the 550 are getting hard to find, so it would come down to an engine swap. if i am going to the trouble why not kick it in the pants?

B
Jan 27, 2008
I say ride it until it blows and put an xcf 440 if you want more power. If not, a 488 if fine. WAY faster and easier than a liquid conversion!!!! If you really want a liquid, sell the sled complete and buy a 600, 144 is better anyway.:face-icon-small-win

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
thing is...complete older sleds like this can be found CHEAP. complete running liquid motors to bolt in are EXPENSIVE.
If you want a liquid sled, just look for a cheap liquid sled. i would stay away from the 6/7/8 big block polaris personally. I got one of those here I purchased whole sled for 200 bucks and it runs but the motor needs complete rebuild. not just a quick top end like you could do on most cheap old tripples out there, if even needed at all.

T
Oct 21, 2014
the few reasons im thinking about buying a sled this old is it has been owned a cert. polaris mechanic the past for years it has just been sitting, but he has replaced the track, idler bearings, and it is the "rental" edition sled

Premium Features