• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Trip First Week Of January? Yes or No

Mar 10, 2013
Hey guys,

Me and my buddies want to come back to Island Park and were thinking the January 3-10th. Is this to early for some deep powder? Last year was our first year out there and loved it but went lake in the year and the snow was not that great. Lets hear your thoughts!

Dan

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
On a good year yes but the way winters have been around here Utah, Idaho, West Yellowstone.
Ask in about November
The winter "gods" say it is going to be a normal snowfall, whatever that means.
Sorry not much help.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Go into the Idaho forum and look at the thread with the snowfall charts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
We used to ride at that time of the year for many, many years, had a cabin in IP, usually with decent to great snow. However, the last few years has been really sketchy. I would not plan a trip at that time of the year until you see what happens in November and December

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Here's a couple of pics from last year December 16th. Obviously it varies year to year but I'd think you'd be safe. Might still be constantly worried about hitting that landmine though. Like stated early ask in November/December to see how it's looking.
a4e9ajat.jpg
qy9atu5a.jpg
qasu3ete.jpg
apypydyz.jpg

The last one was sent to me on September 18 2013 and it's of two top. Come on snow

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I ride IP a lot. I don't plan on getting off trail too much until Christmas - New Years.(landmines are too prevalent before that. Its mostly trail riding til then)

Usually and I say usually you are good for snow after new years.
I would check in with the Idaho section to keep track of the snow conditions

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
Hey guys,

Me and my buddies want to come back to Island Park and were thinking the January 3-10th. Is this to early for some deep powder? Last year was our first year out there and loved it but went lake in the year and the snow was not that great. Lets hear your thoughts!

Dan

Can't predict the weather but I can tell you that you will fit right in with the local crowd.

Premium Features