• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many cat 800 (2010 to 2012 only please) motors have blown?

2010-2012 cat 800(only 800) engine failure rates

• Total voters
B
Feb 12, 2010
evidently you havent priced out oem belts lately? they are all between 150 and 200 a peice..and some of these guys are getting a belt a ride..sounds expensive to me....

Ebay.... 046 belt $68 shipped. 060 belt $129 shipped. "these guys" don't know what they are doing imo.... the first ride should be belt break in.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
For under $400 you can fix belt or piston problem. Assuming someone continues riding oem setups, warranty card in your wallet won't fix a blown motor in the backcountry but a spare belt is an easy fix. Cost of extended warranty would cover engine fix, and cost of one or two belts takes care of belt issue.

Btw-- XP's only get around 700 miles on a felker belt and around 500 miles on a oem belt. PC will get better than that when fixed and clutched properly

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Ebay.... 046 belt $68 shipped. 060 belt $129 shipped. "these guys" don't know what they are doing imo.... the first ride should be belt break in.
theres a reason white rad and a few others are building all sorts of engine stays to try and get the clutching straightened out on the PC's..sure its a hit and miss deal(some fine, some eating belts like a pez dispenser), but for some it is an issue..and the new cat kevlar belt(what an 83 or 84? ) is supposed to be as much as the poo 115 belt(dealer cost of 148 right now)ask Aksnopro..I know he ate belts like crazy and may still well be..he also had issues with a dealer voiding his warranty due to clutching mods and luckily got it straightened out with cat and still has a warranty....

B
Feb 12, 2010
Oh your talking about 2012's... Sorry. All I can say is it's their first model year with that chassis... there will of course be problems.... That's y I don't own one. I'll be buying the new chassis in 5 years when most of the bugs are worked out

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
2010 M8 broke piston skirt at about 1500 miles.
2012 M8 blew motor at 850 miles.
Both stock engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be checkin wells!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Oh your talking about 2012's... Sorry. All I can say is it's their first model year with that chassis... there will of course be problems.... That's y I don't own one. I'll be buying the new chassis in 5 years when most of the bugs are worked out

Great, but some of us don't stand for second place.

If you mod a sled the warranty is gone, thus belts are cheaper. But still BS on the '12. They should be warrantying a belt and only paying for one every 500miles min.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
2010 M8 broke piston skirt at about 1500 miles.
2012 M8 blew motor at 850 miles.
Both stock engines.

Why didn't you vote in the poll CatRyder88?

I'm going to post something in the ProClimb section, I'm wondering how many guys are riding 12's and don't visit this section of the forum anymore.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Situation in our local poll is: 25% of Cat engines have blown... or someone is pizzing off here :) Personally I know about dozen sled with this engine and I HEARD two have broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
G
Jan 18, 2012
hmmmm......

just some food for thought, what is more expensive having an engine fail under warranty, or going through 5 belts in a season? Just sayin' each sled has their problems. If a 2-stroke manufacturer actually made a decent sled that would last 3k+ miles they would probably run the rest outta business

IDK about you but when i see motors go to the dealer for motor replacement they are there a whiiiiiileee.... and atleast for 1.... ONEEE season i had belt problems so what went thru 7 of them... oh yeah THOSE WERE WARRANTEED....

G
Jan 18, 2012
u dont own a 2012 do u.....

I can guarantee whoever goes through that many belts a year is either putting on serious miles or pumping serious horsepower. The only other way is if the OWNER doesn't know how to properly adjust belt tension and deflection. I've been using the same 046 belt on my last two sleds. Thousands of miles on it.

Pretty simple... belt tension, deflection, track tension, track alignment.... do it again. Then 25 mile belt break in (nothing above 1/2 throttle)... Then belt tension, deflection, track tension, track alignment. Done.

NOT THAT SIMPLE... but thanks for trying to make everyone sound dumb.. there is alot more to that with the 12.. or ur only riding around ur house and never clamping ur sled. WHITE RAD has the number for the BEST FIX for my buck.... annnd im pretty sure he would disagree with your statement... no belt is going to hold up to shifting motormounts.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
NOT THAT SIMPLE... but thanks for trying to make everyone sound dumb.. there is alot more to that with the 12.. or ur only riding around ur house and never clamping ur sled. WHITE RAD has the number for the BEST FIX for my buck.... annnd im pretty sure he would disagree with your statement... no belt is going to hold up to shifting motormounts.

Looking back, it looks as if he clarified that he was speaking of the M, not the PC.

That said, the belt problem REALLY sucks, but get the brace from White rad and a few hundred later you're back to being ok, whereas I don't believe that they guys who claim to have a "fix" for the poo really do, or are anywhere near that cheap, and also you're guaranteed to lose your warranty.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Looking back, it looks as if he clarified that he was speaking of the M, not the PC.

That said, the belt problem REALLY sucks, but get the brace from White rad and a few hundred later you're back to being ok, whereas I don't believe that they guys who claim to have a "fix" for the poo really do, or are anywhere near that cheap, and also you're guaranteed to lose your warranty.
BC, dont you run the risk of loosing your warranty by doing the clutch mods too? I thought aksnopro lost his and had to fight to get it back?..the fix it kit does seem to be working good on the poo's though and its aprox 800 for it....

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
Why didn't you vote in the poll CatRyder88?

I'm going to post something in the ProClimb section, I'm wondering how many guys are riding 12's and don't visit this section of the forum anymore.

The poll didn't show up on tapatalk. My bad

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
Where and elevation of where you ride? what oil do you use?

Both happened around 7000 feet and the 2010 had amsoil interceptor and was in valemount. The 2012 had spectro syn sno platinum full synthetic and was in revy.

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Rumors of proto 2014 Cats running around Minnesota with Yamaha motors in them.

Sounds promising, but why?? Suzuki and Yamaha only two current options for rv 2strokes. Should bolt into the current chassis.
Why isn't Yamaha improving/building their own machines?

Premium Features