• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forced Performance HTA 2868 upgrade for the 28 series Garrett Turbo

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So an Audi buddy I know just got his GT2860RS turbo upgraded by Forced Performance to an HTA compressor wheel called a "2868". After dyno'ing and taking boost level to rpm readings it was determined that the 2868 HTA upgrade to the 2860 made full boost hundreds of rpms sooner and made much better top end power. I heard though that you have to send in your current turbo to them for the upgrade of $600 as they won't sell new turbos to these 2868 HTA wheel specs.

Just word to the wise, and hopefully some of the aftermarket turbo manufactures on here will start experimenting with this 2868 HTA wheeled turbo as it has already been proven to be more efficient (better compressor map), higher power output, and quicker spool than the basic 2860RS. It might even be more efficient and more top end power than the 2871R too while spooling up much quicker, but there have yet to be any good comparisons between those two...

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Yes, FP has been turning the turbo world on ear with their HTA maps. Much better flow at lower boost numbers due to the more efficent compressor maps. The drop in spool time is related to the Lighter billet wheel and revised fin shape on the wheels. They have been HTA'ing turbos for about 2 years now with excellent results.

If you want to save money, don't call FP. They build butt kicking turbo's and offer nothing but the finest products/services.

And for the extreme spool machine, team up an HTA wheel with a Tial turbine housing.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=TiALVBTH&Category_Code=Turbo-Parts

Call and speak with Robert, Brian or Aneil, they can give the full rundown on all the different models they offer. 972-984-1800

For all the Guys running Evo III 16g's, check this out:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/...=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTDSMFP68HTA

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for the info. Yeah that Tial housing looks VERY nice. When I turbo this next summer I'm definitely gonna have to think about the HTA upgrade. It's win win. :beer;

PUSH TURBO

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2008
Push turbo hta

attachment.php

attachment.php

DSC02825.jpg

DSC02823.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
These hybrid turbos put out great numbers but sometimes (not all the time) they really do not hold up as well. Mostly because you have shade tree mechanics taking them apart and upgrading the wheels, bearings, etc. They usually lack the correct tools to get them put back together within proper specs (many times requiring 0.0001" +/-accuracy)

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
These hybrid turbos put out great numbers but sometimes (not all the time) they really do not hold up as well. Mostly because you have shade tree mechanics taking them apart and upgrading the wheels, bearings, etc. They usually lack the correct tools to get them put back together within proper specs (many times requiring 0.0001" +/-accuracy)

You are 100% incorrect. FP is not a shade tree mechanic and you are insulting probably one of the most well known turbo shops in business. I and 4 friends have logged over 100,000 combined miles on FP turbo's. FP is THE authorized MHI distributor in the country and works closley with Garrett. If it isn't done right, it won't leave their shop.

Push Tubo's, kudos, I remember talking with you about the HTA wheels at Haydays, you have a awesome distinction between your product and everyone else. You've combined all the best parts for a turbo system and only wish I could convince the wife to let me have one. :(

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You are 100% incorrect. FP is not a shade tree mechanic and you are insulting probably one of the most well known turbo shops in business. I and 4 friends have logged over 100,000 combined miles on FP turbo's. FP is THE authorized MHI distributor in the country and works closley with Garrett. If it isn't done right, it won't leave their shop.

Push Tubo's, kudos, I remember talking with you about the HTA wheels at Haydays, you have a awesome distinction between your product and everyone else. You've combined all the best parts for a turbo system and only wish I could convince the wife to let me have one. :(

I never insulted him, I don't know anything about him. I was just saying that it takes some very special tools that even the best mechanics do not have to rebuild turbo's properly. If he can do it right that is great, but in automotive applications I have seen turbo completely grenade because the shaft is not balanced properly. A little bit later I will link a thread about what it takes to properly rebuild a turbo.

A good mechanic does not equal a good turbo re-builder.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I never insulted him, I don't know anything about him. I was just saying that it takes some very special tools that even the best mechanics do not have to rebuild turbo's properly. If he can do it right that is great, but in automotive applications I have seen turbo completely grenade because the shaft is not balanced properly. A little bit later I will link a thread about what it takes to properly rebuild a turbo.

A good mechanic does not equal a good turbo re-builder.

FP does nothing but turbocharger rebuilds and new units that they assemble and balance on their in house balancer. They are not a Auto repair shop turned turbo builder, they are specialty shop that specializes in turbo's first and specialty cams for the 4G63 platform. Cruise around their site, they are not a backyard guy who hit the CNC machine with a few thoughts on making a turbo better. They have spent extensive time and money desinging and modeling wheels. Furthermore, their turbo's/designs have powered 4cyl cars into the 7 second range, they know what they are doing in terms of design and implementation.

PUSH TURBO

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2008
HTA Turbos

Have no doubts...All my turbos come preassembled with HTA wheel and TiAL housing. They are balanced to zero. No + or -. I remove the compressor housing to have them polished like they deserve to be! The 28-68 turbo crushes the 28-71 and puts serious hurt on the 30-71. The turbo upgrade on my kits is $150. This turbo will soon be standard equipment on my kits. Push Turbo is the only state of the art, high performance turbo kit manufacturer.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Would you care to elaborate on the 2868 HTA a bit more? Im super curious about these turbos but I dont understand how a wheel change completely corrects what we see as an undersizing issue for our application? No bash, Im just learning.

When you say it crushes a 2871 and puts the hurt on a 3071, does that refer to CFM pumped at an efficiency level or something else?

Does HTA use a different wheel in the hotside and cool side?

Every time I have seen a product that greatly improves performance in one area, it tends to have a downside. What is this units downside? Or does it not have one? How does it act at high altitude, thin air? Where are the gains being found? Just in wheel shape and design?

Thanks!

And Push, I assume you will be at Cooke the 9th and 10th? Look forward to seeing your product run!

Jake

Last edited:
Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
The hta is a billet compressor wheel and upgraded compressor housing. The compressor wheels typically have a smaller inducer with the same mm exducer which is why they typically spool quicker then their garret cast compressor wheel. Along with that the hta has 14 blades insted of the 12 blades of the garret wheel. They don't have any compressor maps so their claims of gains I would normally take with a grain of salt except there are a ton of people that have proven their claims on the dyno time and time again. So the performance gains are there and normally a hta wheel is claimed to flow around 4-5 lb/min more then the similar garrett wheel.

Downsides are they are expensive bastages. About 4-600 more then a typical full garrett. And if you have something take out a turbine or compressor wheel the only one who will touch them is fp and they want to charge you $800 opposed to a normal garrett cartrige swap that is around $425. Authorized garrett dealers won't fix them, ask me how I know:(

That being said I'm giving a hta a shot this year on my Apex.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Have no doubts...All my turbos come preassembled with HTA wheel and TiAL housing. They are balanced to zero. No + or -. I remove the compressor housing to have them polished like they deserve to be! The 28-68 turbo crushes the 28-71 and puts serious hurt on the 30-71. The turbo upgrade on my kits is $150. This turbo will soon be standard equipment on my kits. Push Turbo is the only state of the art, high performance turbo kit manufacturer.

It sounds like you know what you are doing. I would be interested in more details as well. Do you have maps for them? I am tinkering with the idea of building a turbo for my Assault next year.

TIA

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
FP 2868 vs. 3071.......how do they compare? Push is saying the 2868 flows more and is what they are using on their 800 AND 1000 kit. Is the 2868 enough turbo for the 1000?

G
Apr 23, 2008
2 strokes like big compressors, much bigger than what is currently in vogue.

low boost 1000's love 2876's. 800's running mid to high boost love them even more..

mod turbos are pretty cool, just be carefull you don't forget its a different animal when running a 2 stroke, all charts and plots are off by 50% as a solid base.

always call the engine at least double what it is when using a flow chart for turbo sizing and you'll be very very happy you did..

Gus

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Come on Gus......you never answered the question.....what do you think of a 2868 on a M1000 that is running up to, say, 12 lbs? I had one turbo builder tell me they liked the 3076 better than the 3071 on the 1000. Said it had better top end power and was smoother, with no loss on the bottom.

Last edited:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I have the 3071 on mine and if I upgrade or if I did it again I would run an HTA 3076 after seeing one run on a yami. I doubted Shain using a 3071 with that low of boost but it just plain works and obviously he knows more than me. He ran the 3076 last year and I didn't like the low but the HTA comes on much quicker. Only question on these is how they hold up, repair etc as been mentioned. Guys in the EVO/STI scene either love FP or hate them. Sounds like they had a lot of reliability issues with their early stuff.

Premium Features