• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leveling kits

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I have a 1/2 ton 05 Chevy Silverado. I didn't like how low the front was stock so I turned the torsion bars up. Looks level now but theres some tire wear and the ride is a little stiffer. (which I exspected)

So, I've been considering the leveling kits that install on the torsion bars, do these do anything different? Is that any better than just cranking up the bars?

If I did get a front leveling kit, could I also get a small lift kit for the rear? Like maybe and inch or two? I just would like the truck to look like a truck if you know whatI mean. Not a grampa mobile. :cool:

Thanks! :beer;:D

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have re-indexed "pork chops" that lifted the front on my 01 1/2 ton Chevy about 1-3/4". The front end was realigned after installation and I've never had a problem with tire wear. Find a good 4X4 shop for the alignment, I've found that the old school methods of alignment are more precise than the rack style alignments.

To lift the rear, you can install an add-a-leaf or get a custom made leaf for about the same money.

K
Oct 7, 2008
Whichever way you crank the torsion bars, you will be adding positive camber and an alignment needs to be performed. Aftermarked torsion keys do the same thing that you've already done, they just affer more adjustability so you can go higher in the front than with stock keys. As MORSNO stated, an add-a-leaf or different spring pack will get you a little higher in the rear. You could also throw in a 1 or 2 inch block between the spring and axle and your ride will be the same.

Installing an actual lift kit with new spindles is the best way to go, but sometimes more trouble than it's worth when trying to go only a couple of inches.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Cool, thanks guys!

I think thats what I'll end up doing. "pork chops" up front and a 2" block in the rear. Cheap, reliable, and no more grandpa truck. :D Then the all terrain tires I;m going to get won't look out of place either.

Anyone have some pictures of chevy 1/2 tons with a small lift like this???? I'd like to see some!

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
cognito makes a leveling kit that is top notch rides like stock and no more prematurly worn out ball joints 2 inch block for the rear also

If the 1500 kit is the same as the 2500 kit, it will rider better than stock. GM's IFS front end leaves a lot to be desired. If I have some money laying around one day, I'd really like to go the Cognito kit on my '06 Dmax.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My duramax was done without keys, then with keys and the ride with keys is much better than just the stock torsion crank. I use firestone airbags to level the rear and can adjust the backend hieght about six inches up or down. Keeps the truck level when loaded, or can soften it up when running light. This is my third truck this way, the same set of $250 bags on all three.
I have many light trailers, but also haul farm equipment with a 24' deck Walton and love the bag performance.

Spring2007153.jpg
[/IMG]
My trailer house.:)

This is with 30#s of air in the bags, max is 90. 285 tires.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
If the 1500 kit is the same as the 2500 kit, it will rider better than stock. GM's IFS front end leaves a lot to be desired. If I have some money laying around one day, I'd really like to go the Cognito kit on my '06 Dmax.

I agree. I'm going to do the Cognito kit on my 06 Duramax. These guys have it together. It's not just a leveling kit, but it actually relocates key components so that you don't loose suspension +/-. This is the route I'm going to take even though it will probably cost around $1000.

Cognito Leveling Kit

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have a 1/2 ton 05 Chevy Silverado. I didn't like how low the front was stock so I turned the torsion bars up. Looks level now but theres some tire wear and the ride is a little stiffer. (which I exspected)

So, I've been considering the leveling kits that install on the torsion bars, do these do anything different? Is that any better than just cranking up the bars?

If I did get a front leveling kit, could I also get a small lift kit for the rear? Like maybe and inch or two? I just would like the truck to look like a truck if you know whatI mean. Not a grampa mobile. :cool:

Thanks! :beer;:D

The only "Levelling Kit" I would even consider is the Cognito one that actually gives you longer shocks and if I'm not mistaken changes your UCA's a little bit somehow to give you proper geometry.

There have been other companies selling "levelling kits" .... Hill 4WD for instance .... where all they did was take the torsion bar keys out of a 99 F150, grind the Ford part number off, then sell them for $300 as a "levelling kit" ... where all it was was a torsion bar key indexed differently than the stock GM bars.

I'm not a big fan at all of huge torsion bar cranks. It makes the trucks ride and handle like ****. i don't care what 4WD magazine you read, it ****DOES**** make the trucks ride and handle like ****. You are also gonna wear axle seals out faster, and potentially CV joints ...

You can get away with about 1/2-3/4" up front and not have it hurt you too bad .... You can also get that with 5-6 turns on both sides. I typically line the lower valence up with the center line of the axle on my chevy trucks. This in combination with a 265 or 285 tire gives you pretty decent ground clearance, at least as much as a stock F250 ....

You _DO_ need to get the front end aligned after doing this however, as it will toe you out a little bit more and will need to be adjusted.

A

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
The only "Levelling Kit" I would even consider is the Cognito one that actually gives you longer shocks and if I'm not mistaken changes your UCA's a little bit somehow to give you proper geometry.

There have been other companies selling "levelling kits" .... Hill 4WD for instance .... where all they did was take the torsion bar keys out of a 99 F150, grind the Ford part number off, then sell them for $300 as a "levelling kit" ... where all it was was a torsion bar key indexed differently than the stock GM bars.

I'm not a big fan at all of huge torsion bar cranks. It makes the trucks ride and handle like ****. i don't care what 4WD magazine you read, it ****DOES**** make the trucks ride and handle like ****. You are also gonna wear axle seals out faster, and potentially CV joints ...

You can get away with about 1/2-3/4" up front and not have it hurt you too bad .... You can also get that with 5-6 turns on both sides. I typically line the lower valence up with the center line of the axle on my chevy trucks. This in combination with a 265 or 285 tire gives you pretty decent ground clearance, at least as much as a stock F250 ....

You _DO_ need to get the front end aligned after doing this however, as it will toe you out a little bit more and will need to be adjusted.

A

Great post. I know a few guys that have cranked their torsion bars right up then try to tell you it rides fine.

They are full of chit...

I've done a pile of reading on Dieselplace about the Cognito leveling kit, and I can't find anyone that wasn't impressed by it. I will be doing it, but I don't have the money to spend on it right now.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've done a pile of reading on Dieselplace about the Cognito leveling kit, and I can't find anyone that wasn't impressed by it. I will be doing it, but I don't have the money to spend on it right now.

See the link in my post above. You can do the kit starting at $500 and then add pitman arm, shocks, tie rods, etc at a later time. Or you can go nuts and spend $2000 on a kit with Fox shocks. I think that is overkill, but I'll probably spend $1000 for the kit with Bilstiens (sp?).

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I'm going to have to cry myself to sleep tonight because dogmeat and beels say I'm full of ****. The only torsion crank I ever hated was on my wifes suburban. It ended up being due to the lower profile tires that came on it. It rode great with a bigger tire under it.

I have yet to have any seal or cv joint issues, been running with keys since 1997.

Four skeptics have ridden in my truck and now run the same setup. I stumbled on the idea riding with a friend, loved it and did it, no magazine involved.

The keys are a great option for leveling, as long as you don't max them out, by doing so you are beyond level and in need of a lift instead.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
See the link in my post above. You can do the kit starting at $500 and then add pitman arm, shocks, tie rods, etc at a later time. Or you can go nuts and spend $2000 on a kit with Fox shocks. I think that is overkill, but I'll probably spend $1000 for the kit with Bilstiens (sp?).

Same here.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
I'm going to have to cry myself to sleep tonight because dogmeat and beels say I'm full of ****. The only torsion crank I ever hated was on my wifes suburban. It ended up being due to the lower profile tires that came on it. It rode great with a bigger tire under it.

I have yet to have any seal or cv joint issues, been running with keys since 1997.

Four skeptics have ridden in my truck and now run the same setup. I stumbled on the idea riding with a friend, loved it and did it, no magazine involved.

The keys are a great option for leveling, as long as you don't max them out, by doing so you are beyond level and in need of a lift instead.

So what you're essentially telling us, is you're using tires as part of your suspension to make up for the harshness. No thanks. Do what you want, and if you like it, great. Fill your boots.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
NO, I'm saying the 20" rims with two inches of rubber that the previous owner had on sucked, the 285's that I replaced them with are not an extreme tire, the roughness was CAUSED by the low profile rubber.

I'm not selling anything here, just answering the questions that Flakey was asking in the beginning.

I do appreciate the warning about my boots though.

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
Another thumbs up for the Cognito kit. We've done 3 of these now, and they work as advertised.

IDspud, whos keys are you using?

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I use the truxx kit, it's a 2" front, 1" rear, but I don't use the rear block, I use the air bags instead. It also has the shock extensions to prevent overextension.

If you read BugIto's link it talks about the "green zone". I am positive this is the diffence between my experience and others on the torsion cranks. I ran my first truck into the stops and it tanked so hard I lowered it about .5" and it was a totally different feel.

I also take the nut off my tie rods, weld it into a flush fit sleeve that slides over the tie rod bolt and greatly increases it's strength. After the sleeve and key install I put on my new tires and get it all alighned.

My cost is about $450 for the bags and keys, My bags are twelve years old, so after the first truck it's less than $200 to have the stronger tie rods and the keys installed.

W
Dec 1, 2007
paul,Idaho
torsion key

the torsion key lift will work good. just be careful if you like to go bouncing around offroad , when the suspension is extended all the way it could pull the axle apart seen it a few times in my shop , just thought you might like to know.

Premium Features