• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of going Doo...

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Thinking about making a brand swap this year... still on the fence but it's either spend about $400 on my 03 Escape or spend roughly $1000 and move to a Rev chassis. The sled in question:
04 Summit 800
full built motor
Aftermarket rear skid- 159"
Aftermarket tunnel
Owned by a Doo mechanic
2400 miles on the sled, 800 on the built motor
170hp horse or so
Digatron gauges

Now I know what you all are wondering... who built the motor? Good question! My buddy who looked at it for me wasn't sure 100%... said it was built in Montana :confused: He said he thought it was Hog-somethingorother... I've heard the name Trygstad a few times, do they build motors? The guy that owns it now works for the Doo shop and said basically the only thing stock is the front suspension and panels, runs good just wants to upgrade.
So... whaddya think, big mistake?

attachment.php

04doo.jpg

S
Nov 27, 2007
Whistler, BC
i think that seems like a really sweet deal. Make sure you find out who built the motor so you can get pistons for it in the future. You can't really go wrong with that sled the only problem i had with my 04 was the rings flaking and you already got a new motor in that so you don't have to worry about that. I used to have a 03 zx chasis which is similiar to you edge and the switch to the rev chassis was great. I give two thumbs up for the upgrade.

SJORMK7

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hayden Idaho
Doo you Switch

Last year I switched from a 2003,800 verticale escape, 159. To a 2007 summit 800 XRS 151.This was a huge learning curve for me,I have always rode rmks,The summit always felt like I was going to tip over,this took alot of time to get used to the way it handled,By the end of the year I was very confident in the sled.Too me the xrs has loads more power then the 03 rmk.The very best part of the summit before I really figured out how to ride it was Going up hills or sidehilling.It was a complete animal.On the clutches I ran a balanced clutch on the rmk and honestly can say I never blew a belt.The summit went through 3 last year.Any way blah blah I know, the rev is a upgrade over a 03 rmk.

N
Nov 29, 2007
Iv been a pol. fan for 20 years got my first rev in 06 just love it took a bit of gettin used of . But well worth the lookin like a rooky for the first few rides.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I've been riding RMK's for about 6 years now (first was an 01 700/144, then my 03 Escape) so I'm real nervous about switching to the Rev chassis 'cuz I know I'm gonna have a hard time getting used to it. The only Rev's I've rode were 2 different 1000's and I didn't spend much time on them (nor did I care for them much... :D)
My other big concern with this sled in particular is I do NOT want a tuner sled... I'd much rather be riding than tuning. If this one is pull and go that would be sweet... but I don't want to have to be tinkering all the time and worrying about where to find race fuel.
Ahhhhh... I hate making decisions. I think I'll call the dealership that has it tomorrow and get some more info.

Feb 15, 2008
I'm hoping to switch to a rev chassis this year. I think the rev handles much better overall than any edge chassis. If you don't want a tuner find a more stock rev with a stock motor. A 800 rev stock or with a pipe setup good is a lot snappier than any edge 800 rmk. Looks like a fine looking sled though.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I had a PM from a member that said if the motor was built by "Hog Shop" (which sounds about right... my phone was cutting out when I talked to my buddy that looked at the sled) they don't have a real good reputation and are out of business now. Makes me real nervous!
I'm going to call the dealer that has it today and get some info from the horse's mouth and see what they have to say.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
IMo you might be better off and $$ ahead finding a clean, stock REV. May or may not be nothing but trouble with the mods:beer;

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
IMo you might be better off and $$ ahead finding a clean, stock REV. May or may not be nothing but trouble with the mods:beer;
That's kind of where I'm leaning too. After dealing with the headaches of a modded sled before (it was my first sled purchase and I didn't know any better) I'm real hesitant to go there again. At least the rebuilds were cheap on that motor (old school Yammie Phazer)!
I called the dealership that has it and talked to the main man in charge, he didn't know as much about the sled as I had hoped. All he could tell me is basically what I already knew- built motor by Hog Shop (said he has heard good things about them), knows for sure it has head work but wasn't sure if it was a big bore, 170hp dyno'd, VE tunnel, Mountain Addiction skid, 159 track, 2200 miles on the sled and 800 on the built motor. He said he took it on on trade last year and has it priced low because he has way too many used sled and needs to move some inventory... I know the guy is honest, he has treated my 2 friends real well over the past few years but I still don't think I wanna go there.
I guess the Escape will get to see another season under my arse :D What I'd REALLY like to have is an 09 Summit X in black, but that's simply not gonna happen for a few years. I even thought about selling/trading my sled AND my bike for an XP, but then next spring I'll be kicking myself because I'll be bikeless and too broke to afford another one :D

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Would have to depend on price imo. If you can get it for the price of a stock rev or very close it is well worth it. You have to consider how much more rear skid, tunnel, boss seat alone are worth. Probably adds like $1000 value to a used sled, nevermind what those mods actually cost to do. Heck, you might even be able to find someone whos willing to trade a stock rev motor for it.

I just upgraded for a king cat to a RT and I know I couldn't be happier.

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
Reliability....it's a big word! Last year I was going to buy a new XP but waffled and bought an M1000 instead. Lost 3 doo motors so far and each time, the day was over for me. Owned 2 poo's,2 M7's a 06KK, and an M1000 and always (knock on wood) made it back to the truck. I love my Rev (heck i'm revrider1!) but have been let down too many times to drop my hard earned coin on doo again. An M8 turbo would be my choice if money wasn't an object. Just my honest opinion. 03 summit 800ho broke piston skirt, 05 rev 800ho same thing, 05 rev 800ho one side of bottom end not oiling (faulty check valve) destroyed the crank. Have a good one! Rev

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Reliability....it's a big word! Last year I was going to buy a new XP but waffled and bought an M1000 instead. Lost 3 doo motors so far and each time, the day was over for me. Owned 2 poo's,2 M7's a 06KK, and an M1000 and always (knock on wood) made it back to the truck. I love my Rev (heck i'm revrider1!) but have been let down too many times to drop my hard earned coin on doo again. An M8 turbo would be my choice if money wasn't an object. Just my honest opinion. 03 summit 800ho broke piston skirt, 05 rev 800ho same thing, 05 rev 800ho one side of bottom end not oiling (faulty check valve) destroyed the crank. Have a good one! Rev

You must of got unlucky, because 03 was a really good motor year. Funny thing is, I owned 2 doo's before this one, always made it back to the truck at the end of the day to. Last year I had a 04 KK, did the most prevenative maintance, ended up getting towed out by my buddies 07 Rev, it was just a broken chain but ended a great ride pretty early and made for a long day. Back to doo and won't look back! I don't miss arctic cat one bit.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
How's the M1000 treating ya? I hear mixed reviews on those big boys. BTW... I grew up in Twin Falls, but haven't lived there for about 7 years now.

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
How's the M1000 treating ya? I hear mixed reviews on those big boys. BTW... I grew up in Twin Falls, but haven't lived there for about 7 years now.

So far so good on the big M1000! Ya know tho, after reading about sled overall weight, the XP is like 90 some odd pounds lighter! That is something to consider.....

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
You must of got unlucky, because 03 was a really good motor year. Funny thing is, I owned 2 doo's before this one, always made it back to the truck at the end of the day to. Last year I had a 04 KK, did the most prevenative maintance, ended up getting towed out by my buddies 07 Rev, it was just a broken chain but ended a great ride pretty early and made for a long day. Back to doo and won't look back! I don't miss arctic cat one bit.

Rite on, yeah 03-05 was bad years for doo pistons/rings. I had another rev (05 800 144) with 06 pistons/rings in it and it ran flawless, ended up selling it eventually and built up my other one. I've been unlucky other than that! haha

K

KEPT ENT.

Mar 22, 2009
Westlock Alberta
Rite on, yeah 03-05 was bad years for doo pistons/rings. I had another rev (05 800 144) with 06 pistons/rings in it and it ran flawless, ended up selling it eventually and built up my other one. I've been unlucky other than that! haha

Not to hyjak this thread but did the 06 pistons / rings make that much of a difference in reliability?

Premium Features