• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y2Y Yellowstone to Yukon Eco-Region SB5064

W
Nov 27, 2007
Has anybody heard of this?? I just received this in an email this morning...

Why you must oppose SB 5064 (Yellowstone To Yukon -Y2Y):
>
> -----1. Anytime the government puts a circle around your home,
> property or
> business it means they are going to begin to close down, limit and
> heavily
> regulate activities within that circle.
>
> -----2. Y2Y is the Yellowstone to Yukon Wildlife Corridor. That means
> that
> everything within will be managed giving wildlife the highest
> priority.
> That means you and your activities will gradually lose.
>
> -----3. Private property will begin to be purchased by organizations
> like
> the Trust for Public Land and Nature Conservancy as well as the
> government.
> Gradually economic activity within the area strangles over time as
> private
> property and private businesses are eliminated.
>
> -----4. Ranchers, miners, forestry, farming and other such activities
> will
> be in the greatest danger. The managing agency (US Fish and Wildlife
> Service, Park Service, Forest Service, BLM or state land agencies) will
> look
> to control and buy as much land as possible.
>
> The largest undeveloped parcels will be in the most danger first unless
> they
> are a big business that has the money to fight back. They will be left
> for
> last after most of the other landowners are gone.
>
> -----5. Cities, towns and private property will have access reduced.
> Cities will largely be left alone until the project is almost done.
> But
> small towns and private property owners will be in immediate danger.
>
> -----6. Traditional uses like family recreation, hunting, fishing,
> off-highway vehicle use, rock hounding, and many others will be
> heavily
> restricted or eliminated.
>
> -----7. Small business will gradually strangle as more and more
> regulations
> are added and the population is reduced with more land going into
> government
> ownership.
>
> -----8. Large businesses will be left for last because they have the
> money
> to fight. Sometimes the managing agency will make a private deal with
> large
> businesses to get them out of the battle. The large businesses will
> think
> they are safe and will remain quiet and out of the battle. The
> managing
> agency will go after them later when many of the other people and
> businesses
> are gone.
>
> -----9. A vast series of new land use regulations will be imposed to
> control land use jeopardizing private property rights, access and
> economic
> growth.
>
> -----10. All of these actions happen gradually in different parts of
> the
> area so that the people living there are often not aware of the
> gradual
> shutdown and economic strangulation of their communities and living
> areas
> until it is too late.

Has anybody heard of this?? I just received this in an email this morning....

Sure have.

Same as the bill that was introduced last year on this issue in the WA State Senate (where it passed last year/failed in the House) - yet there are a few more liberals that were elected last November that think this is great stuff, so maybe it will pass the WA State Senate and House this year. :(

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5064.pdf

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Yep, it's a dream. But, it basically cuts the heart out of snowmobiling. Most of the mountains In Idaho and Montana, would be in the greenie's target. There are private groups attempting to actually buy the property along this corridor. Like the animals will follow the boundary. Even though not all of it would become Wilderness, they will attempt to kill all industry within the boundary, and force people out.

map-y2y.jpg

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Hey....

Like the animals will follow the boundary.

If the greenies put up signage the critters will follow that. 'Course, then when they don't, they will annex the surrounding land and make a "Buffer Zone" around the whole mess.

Maybe then people will wake up and quit being led by the nose by thier elected officials.

Sorry, what was I thinking.....nothing will wake them up.

B

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
Yup

Let's put up some signs for the animals. I'm sure Yogi will read em to Boo-Boo & they will travel up & down the corridor. Unfricken-believable. :face-icon-small-dis:mad:

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
wow - that is such a vast area, how can anyone take this seriously?

anyhoo.... I did a quick search and came up with their website http://www.y2y.net/

in the FAQ's I find:

Is Y2Y opposed to development, resource extraction, hunting, and off-road vehicle use?
No - as long as these activities are carried out responsibly, sustainably, and with a minimal negative impact on the wildlife, ecosystems and human communities of the area. People are an integral part of the region.Y2Y encourages people to participate in responsible recreation activities, and we understand that many communities in the region depend on resource extraction for their livelihood. We believe the land should be maintained, enjoyed, and its resources utilized responsibly for the well being of both the human and wild inhabitants of the region.

Interesting partnership collaborations - Jackson Hole Chamber of Commerce - that one surprised me!! Mostly what you would expect - your Sierra Clubs, Wilderness yahoos, etc....

here's a gooder - regarding the boundary.... "based on a combination of scientific understanding of geology, climate, vegetation, wildlife species and human cultures that bind the mountainous spine of the North American continent" ....."it is flexible and based on the circumstances of the issue in question" .... oh, now THAT's trouble waiting to happen!

W
Nov 27, 2007
Is Y2Y opposed to development, resource extraction, hunting, and off-road vehicle use?
No - as long as these activities are carried out responsibly, sustainably, and with a minimal negative impact on the wildlife, ecosystems and human communities of the area.

That is exactly what to be scared of. They use that bullchit lingo to get this crap passed, then in a few years they will use the exact same sentence in their push to close it completely. They'll find some plant or animal that they can use as a scapegoat to say sledders are ruining the ecosystem for said plant or animal.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
That is exactly what to be scared of. They use that bullchit lingo to get this crap passed, then in a few years they will use the exact same sentence in their push to close it completely. They'll find some plant or animal that they can use as a scapegoat to say sledders are ruining the ecosystem for said plant or animal.

Kinda like "reasonable" gun safety regulations.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Looking at the map, you have to ask yourself. What grizzly would walk from Yellowstone to the Yukon, and walk through the foothills of Boise Idaho? It's a mountain grab. We already have this corridor, it's called the national forest. At some point, if they keep it up, we will have to sell the national forest to pay off the national debt. Animal corridors through a million 10 acre ranches, is what they'll have to contend with then.

Oh well, these are the same people that are extremely upset, that snowmobilers might damage a caldera (super volcano) [aka Yellowstone Caldera]. I have to ask, where else can snowmobilers do less long term damage, than riding on 10 feet of snow in a caldera that erupts every 10,000 years, spewing miles of lava?

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
I have to ask, where else can snowmobilers do less long term damage, than riding on 10 feet of snow in a caldera that erupts every 10,000 years, spewing miles of lava?

How about standing around in someone's garage, talking about the good ol'e days, looking at video and talking about when it was still legal to ride?

Bag :mad:

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
In central B.C. we have lost a very large area the govt here is trying to hide it as best they can i think till after the election and right now all the blame is on snowmobilers. This closure in my mind is one big science project they don't know if is going to work, they are trying to keep the caribou around in this area but it is going to take a lot of work our pine forests are almost done for and now is the time to shut everyone up and keep them out, the enviro's really think they are doing something what a joke their minds are on the caribou and the govt and logging companies are just trying to pass the buck, they are going to de-activate inactive logging roads this i believe is because they no longer want to be responsible for those areas and the greenies are claiming victory, i think the govt has just used them like a old snot rag. There is a lot more to this than just trying to save caribou if you have seen our forests lately you will know what i mean, if you haven't its a mess and is going to get a lot worse, here is a article i found on a meeting with the ministry of enviroment in our area it may shed a little light on whats happening its a little long but gets interesting. http://www.forrex.org/publications/other/ProjectReports/Caribou_MPB_Summary.pdf

M
Oct 1, 2002
Montana
Connect the Dots- Y 2 Y is in the sights

The border of Montana\Idaho starting at Yellowstone and continuing to Canada is slowly being closed to motorized and mechanized use; targeted for wilderness designation through Recommended Wilderness Areas, Wilderness Study Areas, or is in non-motorized status because of being roadless. So when the wilderness advocates tell you Y 2 Y isn't real--Get real. Just look at maps, at the recent Record of Decision for the Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest and plans for the adjacent forests in Idaho and Montana. Connect the dots through all the areas in between. It's not just the border but millions of acres on either side of the border. Those areas will be targets of the next efforts spawned by the anti-access crowd.
Enjoy it while you can--get involved to keep what's left open.

O
Nov 27, 2007
Maybe it should be SY2SY--Snowmobile Yellowstone to the Yukon. Trails the whole way complete with lodging, fuel, etc.

Wow-what an epic trip that would be. Maybe time to push back.

S
Dec 21, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
I like that idea! I swear if I ever win the lottery I'm gonna put half my winnings into an organization dedicated to preserving motorized access. The world has just gone off the rails it seems. All this **** is so misguided.

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
[/URL]In Your State...
State-by-State Info
Access Issues, Public Meetings, Contact Information... all this and details about the National Forests in your state on ARRA's comprehensive state pages.
Share ARRA!
Tell-A-Friend...
If you have already registered as an ARRA member, you can help be a stronger voice by sending e-postcards to others. Our grassroots movement needs more voices! Use our Tell-A-Friend page to help someone else stay informed by registering to receive ARRA's legislative alerts and newsletters.
Omnibus Public Land Legislation is Back in the House!

Contact Your Member Today!

As you know from our previous email, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act that would ban OHV access to over 2 million acres of public lands is back under consideration after failing to pass the House on 3/11/09. The legislation was subsequently attached to H.R. 146, the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Protection Act, which passed the Senate yesterday. The opponents of public land access aren’t wasting any time as the House of Representatives has scheduled a vote on H.R. 146 next week under its new name, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009.

We need to continue to have our voices heard regarding our opposition to this legislation!

Now is not the time to restrict additional lands to responsible recreation. Please click the Take Action button below to urge your Representative to vote no on this omnibus lands bill.

Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
Your Congressperson

Below is the sample letter:

Subject: Please oppose H.R. 146

Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

As a constituent and a member of Americans for Responsible Recreational Access I write to urge you to oppose H.R. 146, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, which would eliminate responsible off-highway vehicle access to more than 2 million acres of public land.

This 1,000-plus page bill cobbles together numerous measures without any thoughtful consideration of their merits or opportunity for review and input by affected recreationists.

As you know, this omnibus land legislation includes 160 public lands measures including the National Landscape Conservation System (NLCS) Act. The bill would create more than 2 million acres of wilderness while authorizing dozens of studies for potential parks, protected rivers and historical landmarks in addition to statutorily establishing the NLCS. The NLCS consists of 26 million acres of specially designated Bureau of Land Management lands and if codified by law would almost certainly lead to these lands being managed in a more restrictive manner.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Ready For Some BAD BAD news?

I monitor afew of our enemies by subscribing to thier alerts.. And this piece of crap came through today. if true THIS SUCKS!

Tremendous news! Congress has finally passed the monumental piece of wilderness legislation that you've been helping to push forward.

Thank you for making this dream a reality! I cannot tell you how huge today is for wilderness history. The passage of the Omnibus Public Land Management Act provides the largest expansion of our wilderness system in some 15 years. It means protection for more than 2 million acres of special wild lands, rivers and cultural sites throughout the nation, and it makes the National Landscape Conservation System official.

Our staff members have sunk their hearts into working on various components of the legislation for years, and we could not have been successful without your support!

In recent months alone your many phone calls and letters to decision makers have been critical to pushing the bill forward. Thanks to your help, special lands throughout the nation are sure to remain spectacular.

This tremendous victory truly demonstrates what we can achieve when we bring all of The Wilderness Society's resources to bear. It's also a powerful reminder of what we can accomplish in our campaign to stop new oil and gas leasing in the Arctic Ocean.

I'd ask that you take a moment to enjoy this win for wilderness today and let it give you energy for the work ahead, especially in these final days before the Mineral Management Services' March 30 deadline for public comments on their plan to open 73 million acres to new oil and gas leasing.

Thank you for all you do for wild lands. Together, there's nothing we can't accomplish.

Best wishes,

Bill Meadows, President
The Wilderness Society

Freaking bastiges!

Premium Features