• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float Skid Setups

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I'd like to get a good quality thread going on AC float skid setup that is on the 2008 and 2009 cats. I think this skid has the potential to be the best around, especially considering the price. I know Geo has spent some time working on this skid and has offered up his opinion on how to change the geometry to make it work better. There are mixed reviews on the change, and i'm sure there are other options out there that deserve discussion as well. What i'd like to see is something along the lines of the clutching threads we have going, but with a little narrative explaining our thoughts on performance so far.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Just to give an idea of what i'm hoping for, here is my setup

2008 M1000 Sno Pro 153"
Stock Camo Challenger
skids shocks all revalved by Holz
Holz middle spring stack added - stiffer than stock
Holz Air Chamber mod added to rear float - dual stage capabilities
stock geometry for now, skid in upper hole in rear
all boggies removed, two wheel kit and scratchers added

No rides yet with the new Holz pieces. Hoping stiffer front spring stack helps lighten the steerings, as it was VERY heavy last year and i found the suspension partial compressed just sitting under its own weight. Dual stage air chamber mod was added for fun - mostly to be able to dial in sag seperatly from bottoming resistance. Looking forward to trying it out!

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
It should work fairly well,it looks to be a direct copy of a Holz skid.Taking some quick measurements from a Holz skid and the new cat skid they are allmost exactly the same.

My GF just got a 08 M8 and I am very interested in how the skid will perform.

We are going to take all the bogys off and the old owner has done the Geo mod to it.I don't know if I agree with the mod but it is easy to change back and forth on the hill to see what one works better.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
thanks AA/AT -

it looks to me like the Holz geometry is close to the Geo mod? Some have noted excessive trenching with stock gemetry while others i've spoke with have told me to get Holz to redo my valving and then leave it stock?

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
I think this thread will take off. Im running the Geo mod on my 08. I do like it on the trail, but the jury is out on how it transfers. What Ive been curious about is has anyone run this skid using the lower hole in the front? Im switching tracks to the powerclaw and playing with the air pressure still. It would be great to hear from anyone who has experience with the re-valve from Tom's. Kris

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Kris -

my goal with the stiffer middle spring stack from Holz was to mimic placing the skid in the lower hole as sled definitely doesn't sack out in the front of the skid like it used too. I looked on the microfische last year at what the 2008 was using for the front skid spring and everything said it was the same as the 07. it is CLEARLY different. It's a beehive shape and MUCH softer.

The 08 middle shock is already longer than the 07 version, though its softer and sacks out more...

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I've been out three days with the skid in the lower front mount position and like it, but still not transferring enough for me(I'm a light weight). The rear float is too slow on the rebound also. If I hammer a bunch of big bumps in a row I start to slam or bottom out on the last few bumps. Not sure, but I think I'm headed in the re-valving direction.:confused:

Oh yeah. I talked to Tom's about re-valving and or a Float 2 up grade, they said they were working on a set up and would call me back when they had something. That was two months ago!

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I've been out three days with the skid in the lower front mount position and like it, but still not transferring enough for me(I'm a light weight). The rear float is too slow on the rebound also. If I hammer a bunch of big bumps in a row I start to slam or bottom out on the last few bumps. Not sure, but I think I'm headed in the re-valving direction.:confused:

that is the problem with the stock valving. Holz can fix that for $55 for the float and $45 for the Fox Zero pro if i recall.

T
Nov 26, 2007
last year I did GEOS mod to a m8 153 and the 1000 162. This change made the trail ride muuuuuch better but at 90psi it would not go in the deep trenched like no other. So I put the shock to 125 and that seemed to help with the trenching but I need more time to see if that is going to solve the trenching problem. I dont know the jury is still out on my end.

S

scaldedcat

Nov 23, 2004
Newman Lake wa
Nice start on the thread I'm all ears at this point. I need to know to set up the suspension with a 230# rider"with gear" on an 08 m1000 I rode it out of the box last year and thought it was fine I wonder how close I really am?

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
The Geo mod looks good but I think with a 2.5 paddle track the outside of the paddles will hit the coolers pretty hard.

Are many people running the Geo mod with 2.5 tracks? We are putting a 2.5 on this weekend, the sled has the Geo mod allready and the stock track is VERY close to the side cooler tubes.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Rear pressures

I'm interested to see what others are running for pressures as well

Just picked up an 09 M8 162

I'm about 170 lbs and set it at 95 lbs but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

When I first bought it was set at 150 lbs! I couldn't even jump up and down on it and get it to budge!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I did the same thing at the Cat dealer, They told me it won't go up and down as it was a different set-up from yrs. past. I assumed the rear shock was @135lbs. It needs snow beneath it i would presume to have some give? Not carpet! I don't think it transfers weight like the old ones used to? But is lighter and I hope it is the cats meow!

Mike

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
09 m-1000 sp.....65 psi in the ski shocks....100 in the rear, limiter out all the way, front mounting bolt of the skid lower to the lower hole (drilled out)....rider 190 plus about 15 lbs of gear.....seems to do well as a place to start, still need snow, but i've gotten it into 3 ft of powder a couple of times, and the sled does well....i put it into the bottom of a shallow ravine (30 ft deep) with the nose pointed up the other side and stopped the sled with the track pointed slightly up....smacked the throttle, skiis just lifted out of the snow, sled launched out of the ravine without problem.....powder claw track with the good weight transfer of the set-up listed above works for me and what i want....may modify it after we get more snow, have to wait and see

Premium Features