• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying a used axys turbo?

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I have no experience in the turbo game and I am wondering if I am going to be buying problems. I am fairly adept mechanically and understand more HP = more wear but I don't want to be getting towed out of the mountains on a consistent basis. The sled is a 16' with the non intercooler silber with 800 miles. Any advise helps! Thanks

M
Dec 4, 2017
I don't have much technical information/advice but I've bought 3 used pro's (16-17's) with non-intercooled silbers ranging from 300-1400 miles & I've always just checked the basics - compression, oil lines, clutches, etc. & I've never had an issue. A lot of people will tell you to stay away from used turbo'd sleds but I've had nothing but good luck. I believe all 3 of mine had the turbo's installed by Silber which gave me a little more peace of mind. I always ask them what they've been running for oil & fuel (91/av/race gas ratio) & stick with that. Good luck!

Last edited:

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I bought my 16 with 688 miles. Silber @7lbs, Zrp clutch cover. and a z bros front end 39", tki belt drive tensioner. Thats the good...

The bad. I have learned a lot from this sled. The a arm ball joints were all shot on the sled which i didn't notice having it sit on the ground. Put it up on the lift and it had a 1/8"-1/4" play in them. So check those!
I also replaced all the bushings where the a arms bolt on.

I also, had to replace the rubber carb/throttle body boot. Whoever installed the silber kit did a crap job. The BOV reference line that is drilled into the boot was torn. I rode it a season and noticed it the second season. I'm not sure when it tore. Good new was the reeds looks perfect at 1030 miles when I had them out during this.

Replaced all bogie wheel bearings, a few of them were wobbly.

I did get the clutches balanced/serviced at indy specialties.

I'm at 12xx miles now and its never left me stranded. I'd probably buy it again. So minus the maybe 500 I put into parts I didn't expect.

Do a compression test before you buy it, check the ball joints on a lift if you can or have another guy tip it on one side.

Stock belt made it to 1000 miles, I replaced with a new and run that stock as a spare. It still looks good.

Belt drive has been good. 0 issues.

One time it didn't start, sat outside over night 35-40 outside, really foggy. It started up and then died. Wouldn't start up. Flooded it self. tried later on and did the hold the throttle to the bars while pulling. (this gives spark but no fuel) It started right up after a few pulls and ran good the whole trip.

Check those things I listed, I run a little oil in the fuel too. Good Luck

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
Thanks for the advice! After reading everything I could find there were very few bad experiences. I'm glad yours were trouble free engine wise as well. I bought the sled today and I am going to go rip tomorrow. It had a half tank with 50/50 av/92 and I fillled it with 5 more gallons of 100ll. Does running more octane than perscribed by silber pose any problems? One thing that did throw me off was where the pipe met the exhaust side of the compressor. It didn't seem to have a perfect seal and is kind of loose. You can wiggle the whole turbo setup. I'm excited to learn everything there is to know about sleds and turbos as I have acended from snowbiking

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Make sure every exhaust connection has double springs. And then have fun. Turbos are a wild ride
Edit- if they aren't in good shape, replace the exhaust donuts as well

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My buddies 16, which is my old sled, runs straight pump with 5 pound spring. Most riding Is at 8000 to 9500. Stays of it down low and never had any problem. Someday could get a bad batch and have problems. No need to over octane. A couple gallons of av gas would give you peace of mind unless you are running more boost and riding lower elevations. I think I had 500ish on it before I put turbo on it. Sold it to him after 3 rides. This is 3rd season on it and no problems. I think it is having some polaris issues such as crappy relays or TPS issues. Minor I think. Been a great sled. I just rode it yesterday in epic snow. It still gets stuck is the only problem with it.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
This is going to get technical: But if you over octane it with AV gas, it will not run as smooth as say something like VP racing 110.

I run 20-30% mix of Av gas 110LL with 91 octane, sometimes ethanol in it too. Not by choice, but many places only have 91 with ETH. After 2 years riding it, I think 15-20% would get me by, Im usually 8500 ft or higher. If I'm lower elevation, I would take that into consideration.

I've never seen the DET light come on. I have been adding less and less to dial back how much AV gas I use.

I'm on the 7lb spring Silber.

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
Yes turbos are a wild ride! It was awesome! Snowmobiling is more addictive than crack.... also more expensive. Sled ran like **** for the first 5 mins and the check engine light flashed on deceleration multiple times. I assume it was a symptom of sitting for a while and/or bad gas. Once she was warm and off the trail I opened her up on a long pull and she ran perfect the rest of the day. Max RPM i saw was 8350.

I pulled the plugs after the ride and the mag side was a grey color and looked to be running hot. Does this look like it is too lean or hot to anyone? Or normal? The PTO side was a perfect cardboard color. I checked for air leaks with carb cleaner around the crank and intake with no difference in idle. Next i am going to check the reed cage for wear/chipping.

Screenshot_20190127-175421_Gallery_resized.jpg

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
You cant tell anything form that plug picture, ride the sled, get it warm, put in 2 brand new correct heat range plugs, make a nice Full throttle pull, cut it off clean do NOT let it idle, pull plugs and look at the bottom of the porcelain insulator, (with a plug light)

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
mk818-

Make sure your running the sled in the Ethanol mode for a bit richer fuel delivery.
Depending on which year of MFG on your turbo- the oil line should be protected. Some of the earlier Axys turbo's had a clear oil line.
Never had an issue from the ones I have installed, but just something to keep an eye on is all......
Just wrap it from it getting scuffed. The newer one's are a braided line.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Just an update: I'm over 1250 miles now, and my motor mounts are shot. Check yours as well. Its pretty common the 16s came with softer rubber mounts. They have since been redesigned it seems by polaris as the new ones are a new part #.

MTN Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2009
Smithers B.C.
Are the new turbo kits for the axys, better for longevity than the older pro turbo kits? Have a riding buddy that bought a used 14 pro with a boondocker kit. When it runs properly, its a beast. But he has had a few problems with it since he bought it 2 seasons ago. The last thing he has had to fix is replace the turbo.(turbines contacting the snails, 1600 miles on sled) I have thought about buying a used sled with a turbo, but with the problems my buddy has had, I dont want to be constantly wrenching. :face-icon-small-dis

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just an update: I'm over 1250 miles now, and my motor mounts are shot. Check yours as well. Its pretty common the 16s came with softer rubber mounts. They have since been redesigned it seems by polaris as the new ones are a new part #.

In my experience. (Not boosted)

The axys 800 motor mounts have about a 500 mile lifespan.
(Even the updated ones)

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
In my experience. (Not boosted)

The axys 800 motor mounts have about a 500 mile lifespan.
(Even the updated ones)

And once you add boost, the stock mounts don’t stand a chance.

Notice I’m using a pretty small screw driver, and using my index finger to put maybe 2lbs of downward pressure...and look how much movement I get.

900 boosted miles on those stock mounts

Last edited:
Premium Features