• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS mapping using Garmin Nuvi 205W, etc?

R
Nov 16, 2016
I just read a SnowTech Magazine article titled "Poor man’s Snowmobile GPS Solution".
Please take a few minutes and read it and let me know what your thoughts are.

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/poormans-snowmobile-gps-solution/

The sleds that I would be using these on are a combination of pull start and electric start.
2008 800R XP (e start), 2013 800R XM (e start), 2015 800R SP (e start), 2016 800R SP (pull start).

1.... have any of you used these for GPS navigation?

2.... how did you power them so that power to the GPS is cut when the engine is shut down?

3.... any issues with loading the maps?

4.... how did you mount them?

5.... is this a decent option?

Rick E

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, I read the same article, tried a Nuvi loaded with Idaho TOPO. Used it here here in I.P., however, when it was cold it didn't work worth a hoot, would load real slow or freeze up. Wound up going with a Montana that I got from the GPS store, got an Amp mount, and an ONX hunt the Rockies SD card, best accessory I've ever bought for any sled..

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I use an older 60CSX with a RAM mount. I use rechargeable AAs and carry spares in the clutch bag. Been using it for 10 years and it's saved my bacon more times than I can count.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, I had a 60CSX in Alaska, great unit. I like the Montana mounted on the glove box, a few times when its been so socked in your "floating" in the clouds, I zoom it in real tight, backtracked, and got out of a few jams... man, I dont like riding in that junk :face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features