• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing?

B
Jul 18, 2016
What is everyone running for gearing in their boosted Mountain sleds I have the 162 with the 7 tooth drivers. I'm swapping the track out now and figure this is the best time to put new gears in if it is needed

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
I personally wouldn't change the gearing unless you are going to be running a high HP kit. 250+. Stock gearing on the MTX model is pretty bang on and easy to clutch. Good belt for me as well. I am running a 174 3" with high HP and I don't see a big need to change the gearing like I did on my nytro. Especially with the cost of the viper gearing. This is just my opion however, after running my sled for 2 years. Hope this helps ya.

B
Jul 18, 2016
I personally wouldn't change the gearing unless you are going to be running a high HP kit. 250+. Stock gearing on the MTX model is pretty bang on and easy to clutch. Good belt for me as well. I am running a 174 3" with high HP and I don't see a big need to change the gearing like I did on my nytro. Especially with the cost of the viper gearing. This is just my opion however, after running my sled for 2 years. Hope this helps ya.
Nytroboost thanks brother! I'm going to be running 240 to 250 hp through this sled, so ill run it as is with one of Ulmer clutch set ups and see how she climbs!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
What speeds are you guys seeing? My viper seems to haul the mail until about 70mph and then falls on its face. My nytro would pull until I ran out of space to hold it open.

I'm not a lake racer or anything but I run out of clutching or gearing pretty quick when I scoot across open areas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
I run between 65-70 mile an hour track speed on the hill (174 3"). The stock Gearing is good for right in the 90 mile range. If dragging across open flats you will more than likely run out gearing fairly soon, but for mountian riding should be good. My sled never feels to fall on its face just keeps pulling. What clutching are you using? Hp? Turbo kit?

B
Jul 18, 2016
All my riding is in the mountains so 70 mph is plenty and with 14lbs of boost I shouldn't have a problem with keeping it pulling

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Mpi 190 kit with the recommended clutching. It feels like it could pull a little more weight because I occasionally hit the Rev limiter. The last time I pinned it across a lake it was like I threw out an anchor at 70mph. I really don't need more than that, it was just weird rocketing out to 70 and then....nothing.

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
What speeds are you guys seeing? My viper seems to haul the mail until about 70mph and then falls on its face. My nytro would pull until I ran out of space to hold it open.

I'm not a lake racer or anything but I run out of clutching or gearing pretty quick when I scoot across open areas.

MTX with 7 tooth drivers is geared for about 75mph and falling on its face at about 70mph. I strongly suggest the XTX gearing with 7 tooth drivers and that raises it about another 20mph and gets it just right for boost in my opinion.

Turbo geared to low to put a load on the engine leaves a lot of performance on the table.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
http://www.turboaddictionparts.com/catalog/snowmobilecalculator.html

See link above for calculating gear ratio to MPH track speed. Thanks stingray you are correct on the track speed, I was thinking more along 8 tooth drivers. Running the 21/41 gearing could pose some good benefits possibly if you have the hp. Definitely worth looking at. I would try your sled first tho and go from there.

Tried both ways, and 21/41 with 7 tooth worked best for me with turbo. In my opinion 21/49 with 7 tooth is too low even for N/A.

M
Jan 4, 2017
I'm running 24/49 gears in mine. Sled rips down low and also got it off the rev limiter. But when I brought it up over 6000ft it was a dog on low rpm. Could this be the gearing, I think I had a different problem.

M
Jan 4, 2017
What clutching are you running?
Still tring to get it figured. But Dalton DTYA weights and brown blue brown primary. Tested with 47 helix and stock helix. Also epi purple and stock pink. I think the 47 was to steep cause the stock helix worked better at low rpm. Might go to a 45 or multi angle

Premium Features