• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lots of oil coming out of pipe

R
Jan 11, 2009
just started sled for first time of season. had to pull over 10 to 15 times before it would start. several times almost felt like hydrostatic lock?? finally started and sounded like one cylinder, but then ran fine. smoke a lot, but brought up to temp and seemed to be running fine. shut off and had maybe 1/2 cup to 1 cup of black oil coming out pipe. tried to lite to see if raw fuel and it wasn't. 2014 pro w/ 600 miles. any ideas?? thanks

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
It is most likely normal. pretty common on first start up after sitting. All the oil that is in the exhaust valves drains back into the y-pipe when sitting. First start up and it leaks out the donut as it isn't hot enough to seal up yet.

R
Jan 11, 2009
i'll try again and see if it does it anymore. it wasn't leaking out the donut at y-pipe, but going through entire pipe and silencer. thanks

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
My '11 800 starts well but smokes heavily at the start of every season too.

On my machine the excess oil is coming from the oil tank as I fill it at the end of every season & notice the level has dropped significantly by the following fall when I pull it out of storage.

I've vacuum tested the oil injection check valves on the engine thinking that one might be stuck open allowing the oil to gravity feed into the crankcase over the summer. Only one check valve failed the test so I replaced it but it still didn't help. I even vented cap on the oil tank last spring so that rules out the tank "pressuring up" during the hot months.

3 years of this with no ill effects so far other than smoking out the neighborhood every fall. It's best to do the first start of the year after dark so it's not so conspicuous......LOL!

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Yup, I have 4 sleds in a temporary garage in my back yard all summer. I start them all up once a month, talk about smoke! I am surprised the fire department hasn't stopped by.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Yup, I have 4 sleds in a temporary garage in my back yard all summer. I start them all up once a month, talk about smoke! I am surprised the fire department hasn't stopped by.

Same here, it's really bad after sitting for 5 or 6 months!

No worries about internal corrosion inside the engine though. Synthetic oil or not! LOL

R
Jan 11, 2009
thanks guys. this is my third pro and i'm use to the heavy smoke at first start, but have never seen that much fluid/oil come through entire pipe/silencer. like i said maybe up 1 cup, seems crazy. do i have to worry about that clogging silencer? thanks

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
thanks guys. this is my third pro and i'm use to the heavy smoke at first start, but have never seen that much fluid/oil come through entire pipe/silencer. like i said maybe up 1 cup, seems crazy. do i have to worry about that clogging silencer? thanks

It hasn't clogged mine yet & I end up with a puddle of oil on the floor under the exhaust dump every year.

I think if this was happening at every start up there'd be something to worry about.

H

hopewell64

Oct 30, 2008
Yup, Mine did the same. Not as much oil as many but still left small puddle and smoked out my garage. Was also wondering if this was the norm, so went out to my sled trailer and started my cousins assault (same year 2014) and did the same thing. Lots of smoke then when shut off small puddle left behind so I assume its normal after a long freaking summer spell.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe my neck is redder (if that's even a word lol....) but I love watching a cloud of smoke roll through the neighborhood. Plus the smell is fantastic too.

Premium Features