• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust Manifold gaskets, Opinions

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I see that SLP sells a metal gasket for the exhaust rather than the stock Graph-foil style.

Looking for opinions on which does a better job sealing? Is the SLP metal one re-useable or is it a one shot deal like the Graph-foil gaskets are?

I need to buy a few to get my builds on the snow and just thought I'd throw it out there for opinions.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I know a lot of people that have re-used the metal gaskets by giving them a light coat of high heat silver paint on each side, before re-assembly. Just seeking more feedback. Price wise they are close; ~$25 for the SLP and ~$18 for the Graph-Foil.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I wish mandatory SS gaskets were made into a law lol.

I give them a swipe with 1211 bond (3Bond product). Little goes a long way and cleans up easy on disassembly (stays soft), cures aerobically and anaerobically, low viscosity, but sometimes bonds too well lol. I've used it without gaskets or o-rings for cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, and is the only stuff (that I have found) to use on your grafoil seals if you want it to still be there upon disassembly.
Bin around for decades too. I seem to appreciate that more and more lol.

IMO the first time you remove and clean up the original ex. gasket should be enough to tell you it will be the last time lol, no matter what the cost.
I think Poo still uses this material here to save on one surfacing operation on the Y pipe. I like things flat so I surfaced the welded plate. Belt sander and straight edge to keep you true is pretty good.
I think my motor really likes me when I do this kind of stuff lol.

Last edited:
Premium Features