• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much race fuel?

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I run straight race gas, only because of the elevation I ride, 10k-13.7K, and for the safety factor (for the motor). Yes I could probably get away with some form of mixed fuel, but in snowmobiling, the factors related to that are always changing, at least out in the mountains. The amount of load on the motor is affected by the amount of snow you are riding in, the elevation and temperature affect how your motor runs and how it burns fuel, etc. Basically, you may not have any detonation issues 99% of the time running very little high octane fuel, but then you get a 4' storm like we just did (god I love Feb. in CO) and are riding at 13k', well, trying to tow out a blown sled in that much snow in the mountains just sucks all around.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I run straight race gas, only because of the elevation I ride, 10k-13.7K, and for the safety factor (for the motor). Yes I could probably get away with some form of mixed fuel, but in snowmobiling, the factors related to that are always changing, at least out in the mountains. The amount of load on the motor is affected by the amount of snow you are riding in, the elevation and temperature affect how your motor runs and how it burns fuel, etc. Basically, you may not have any detonation issues 99% of the time running very little high octane fuel, but then you get a 4' storm like we just did (god I love Feb. in CO) and are riding at 13k', well, trying to tow out a blown sled in that much snow in the mountains just sucks all around.

so with straight race gas at 10k + ft elevation your running at least 16lbs of boost then right? If i was to run straight race fuel in my sled at 12-13lbs of boost it would run like garbage, compared to the way it does on pump gas with just a little race gas to make up for the crappy pump fuel and hopefully getting it back close to the 91 octane rating its suppose to have to begin with. (not trying to be a dick, just curious, because race fuel is expensive as hell around here... $8-10/gallon, so when we run race fuel we always run big boost to justify wasting the money)

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Actually I usually run right around 13PSI, and my sled runs great on straight RG. I do have the Race Gas turbo setup, as opposed to the Pump Gas turbo kit you have, so maybe that plays into this, although I have no idea how or why that would be. I am also curious as to how you can run Boondockers pump gas kit at that much boost without problems. Not real familiar with that kit, I just thought you could only bump it up to around 10 PSI safely. You are correct in the running big boost comment though, I am able to bump up my boost significantly when I want to and have the tolerance to do so in most cases (because of the fuel). However, I don't feel like I am wasting money in doing so

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
so with straight race gas at 10k + ft elevation your running at least 16lbs of boost then right? If i was to run straight race fuel in my sled at 12-13lbs of boost it would run like garbage, compared to the way it does on pump gas with just a little race gas to make up for the crappy pump fuel and hopefully getting it back close to the 91 octane rating its suppose to have to begin with. (not trying to be a dick, just curious, because race fuel is expensive as hell around here... $8-10/gallon, so when we run race fuel we always run big boost to justify wasting the money)

++1
I also ride colorado at 10K-13K and even with the 08 head 13-1 compression ratio at 50/50 108 motor my AFRs are at 12.7-13.2 at wot and any lower it either fouls plugs or as Kinzer stated it runs like crap!! I run 12-14 psi all day

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
with the 800 cfi motor having four injectors there is no limit to a pump gas turbo... you can run boost levels from 4lbs of boost up to 20 if you change out the waste gate actuator. you just have to be at proper elevation and/or have the right fuel. the highest boost i have taken mine to is 19.8lbs... i dont run an intercooler because of the extra lag they create so i could only do so for aobut 5 minutes... or one good pull before the charge temps would go through the roof. with BD's Pump Gas set up, no intercooler, no blow off valve, basic kit, we are able to run 12-14lbs depending on the ambient air temperature and still run safe charge temps below 200 degrees. My sled is a one off custom from the ground up, the motor has completely been redone by Indy Dan, and my head has lower compression than a stock 2010 head. i talk to the guy's at BD almost on a weekly basis about what we have found that we are able to do with boost levels, octane ratings and elevation. and we have changed a lot of the local guys from running straight race fuel down to mainly pump as well because of the performance gains that are to be had, and you dont lose any of the reliability factor if done right.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Well not really sure what to tell you guys. I've been through 1 set of plugs this year (early season trying to tune maps), and put up 246 HP on the dyno. Sled runs crisp and strong with 2500 Miles on it. Not sure as to what the variable is here, but my sled runs great on straight RG.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Here's another question for you. Seeing as you ride such high elevations, I would assume you would require LESS race fuel. Aren't you less likely to detonate, with all factors being the same, at higher elevations? This has been an interesting thread, and by no means was I trying to start any troubles. I have been running straight, but will start leaning it down gradually as I monitor everything to see what is ideal for the motor. Granted, I would rather error on the side of caution...but then again, I bought a turbo to have BIG power, and I want to get as much out of it as I can. I have gone through a number of plugs this season, and last. Guess I will see how she does next time out.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I ran 60-65% race fuel last weekend and again today. 13lbs....no probs. Actually, I would say it runs even better. The throttle response is definately better. No signs what-so-ever of detonation. Funny thing is that I had to lean out the idle circuit on my Pure Logic box...

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I run 3 gal 110 race gas and the rest 91 octane pump gas (non ethanol). Run 9 lbs boost on this Aero 66 setup. It runs flawlessly and WAY better than it ever did running straight race gas and 14 lbs boost. Dont know exactly why...but it rips at this ratio. It starts easier, doesn't foul plugs, the bottom end is clean and crisp and the top end is outstanding!!. EGTs between 1150 and 1200 most of the time. I ride at 6,000 to 9,000 ft and have the latest 2010 update on my sled as well as the Jan 11th flash in ECU.

Just my 2 cents....for whatever its worth.

Great thread...btw :)

Premium Features