• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'04 800 Edge RPM probs

B

Bentwrench

Jan 21, 2009
Having problems with my motor. Will not pull above 7500 rpm and will load up when in the pow on the right. I broke off the original exhaust deflector, but fabbed one similar. New SLP everthing...head, pipe, can, exhaust valves, clutch, weights, springs and 340 jets. Once in a while it will hit 8100 and no loading up.
Anyone ever seen probs with the throttle position sensor? Temp sensor? The only thing besides the ECU that i haven't replaced.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Temp sensor is a pretty common failure. You can get the little bypass resistor from SLP and test it. I carry one with me in my coat all the time.

Single pipe? Loading up when pulling to the right is usually an exhaust blockage issue... do you have a good seal around the pipe and the bellypan? What do you have for intake venting? Florites in the dash?

I've never been able to trace a low RPM problem to a TPS. I've checked a BUNCH of them and never found one out of spec so I doubt that is your problem unless you've had the TPS off for some reason (boring carbs maybe).

sled_guy

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Having problems with my motor. Will not pull above 7500 rpm and will load up when in the pow on the right. I broke off the original exhaust deflector, but fabbed one similar. New SLP everthing...head, pipe, can, exhaust valves, clutch, weights, springs and 340 jets. Once in a while it will hit 8100 and no loading up.
Anyone ever seen probs with the throttle position sensor? Temp sensor? The only thing besides the ECU that i haven't replaced.

Ok, what elevation do you ride? What do you have for clutching?

Loading up in the pow is the nature of the beast. Without changing your outlet location there isn't much else to do other than sealing it up good.

T
Nov 18, 2003
Reno Nevada
5-600 rpm sounds more like a clutching issue than anything else, but it might be jetting too. I am fighting the same issue right not. Lost 300 RPMs and can't get em back.

I think my buttons on the secondary are shot so I am going to replace them next

Chris

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
Also will it hit 8100 on the flats and it drops to 7500 on a pull under load(on the hill) or just doesn't want to go above 7500 no matter what? Doesn't sound like electrical. Clutching or carbs.

Is your belt and clutches getting hot?

If you just completed the rebuild and install be sure the choke and throttle cables are adjusted properly. Maybe the choke is on just a tad or the throttle not opening the carbs all the way up.

Premium Features