• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lean Burn down or Improper Squish?

C
Aug 27, 2009
What is the difference between a LEAN burn down and an improper squish burn down? Seems to me my pics indicate a lean burn down, as its the exhaust side. Would think an improper squish burn down would affect the whole top edge of piston? However, not sure.

Reason I say improper squish burn down is due to the fact my buddy (the pics are his pistons) had Kelsey/RK TEK make him a head for his 700. WELL, my buddy never told Kelsey he was running a Yammy PWC piston (weisco). OBviously the crowns are different, and the swuish was way off! Thats why I say improper squish burn down? BUt due to the exhaust side, top corner of piston being eaten away, makes me still believe it was a lean burn down?

AND, the other piston (mag) started to show the same type of damage, however NOT NEARLY as bad. Justt he begining stages.

But, the reason I posted this is to get some answers from you engine gurus!!!! Hope you can help! thanks in advance!!!!

post-43472-1198367111.jpg post-43472-1198367017.jpg

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Well, I dont know for sure but I will say we have run some pretty tight squish clearances (like 17 thou) and I have never seen that happen, but it very well could be. I would be more suspicious of your squish angle to dome angle causing a 'trap' at the outside edge. That can cause it to super heat and could possibly do that. Looks lean as well though.

What does Kelsey say?? Im sure he will chime in. He probably knows what caused it.

Jake

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
09-04-2009, 11:09 AM
had him make me a head for my yammy PWC piston I run in my mod...He cut the head wrong and made me pay for it. WHAT THE HECK. will never use him again

Kind of odd how stories change from day to day:confused::confused:

What is the difference between a LEAN burn down and an improper squish burn down? Seems to me my pics indicate a lean burn down, as its the exhaust side. Would think an improper squish burn down would affect the whole top edge of piston? However, not sure.

Reason I say improper squish burn down is due to the fact my buddy (the pics are his pistons) had Kelsey/RK TEK make him a head for his 700. WELL, my buddy never told Kelsey he was running a Yammy PWC piston (weisco). OBviously the crowns are different, and the swuish was way off! Thats why I say improper squish burn down? BUt due to the exhaust side, top corner of piston being eaten away, makes me still believe it was a lean burn down?

AND, the other piston (mag) started to show the same type of damage, however NOT NEARLY as bad. Justt he begining stages.

But, the reason I posted this is to get some answers from you engine gurus!!!! Hope you can help! thanks in advance!!!!

Premium Features