• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polarized vs non polarized goggles

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I have had 509 aviators the last four seasons now, yellow tint, non polarized. I was thinking of trying polarized goggles this year. I bought a judged cf helmet and would be buying judged pol. goggles. To you guys that have had both which do you prefer and why? Thanks!

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I have had 509 aviators the last four seasons now, yellow tint, non polarized. I was thinking of trying polarized goggles this year. I bought a judged cf helmet and would be buying judged pol. goggles. To you guys that have had both which do you prefer and why? Thanks!

I have a pair of yellow tint X5 509s that work well just about all the time. Even when its sunny they arent bad.

I also carry the X5s in the black polarized. They are my favorite. When bluebird they are my hands down favorite. Even when partly cloudy I prefer them. I wore them a few times on completely overcast days to test and I found out that they worked well for most the day. The polarization seems to really help cut the glare.

Just my two cents

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I use Smith's version of polarized lenses (Chromapop). Just like my polarized Oakley sunglasses they cut the glare very well. And like Ranoutoftalent says, even if a polarized lens looks really dark it can still be helpful in overcast conditions because you aren't squinting. My sunglasses are black and the only time I don't wear them driving in the truck is when it is actually dark. Friend has a few pairs of 509s and he likes the polarized ones too.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
My favorite lens is the 509 polarized yellow. Just awesome. However, I hate 509 goggles - crappy/cheap foam, falls apart, fogs all the time. I love Scott goggles, but don't have a polarized lens for them. Gotta try the Oakley's.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Always have ran spy and Oakley goggles love them both. Tempted to try a klim oculus goggle this year!

S
Mar 12, 2008
Hermiston OR
klim

Have the klim Occulus and the have been ticket. Polarized always for me not matter what brand. Back up set of 509 aviators with polarized lens that are good for riding next to my clutch and staying warm for ride home. Have had the best experience with Klim googles will buy another pair when needed.

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
Dragon, love my NFX's. Lots of lens choices, never fog. I do have a polarized lens but never use it. Yellow/Blue Ion and Jet are my favorite.
url

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Dragon, love my NFX's. Lots of lens choices, never fog. I do have a polarized lens but never use it. Yellow/Blue Ion and Jet are my favorite.
url

I also run some Dragon goggles and have had good luck them them, just haven't tried any of their polarized lenses.

Anybody else have any experience with Dragon polarized goggles ????

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
I currently use rose most of the time but looking for something for low light conditions. Find it hard to see elevation changes and it’s overcast where I ride a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Polarized lens are comfortable for driving autos on the highway, but polarized lens in the snowsports under certain flat light conditions (Ok on sunny days) can be flat-out dangerous because your eyes cannot discern moguls very well! Yellow is the safest bet. :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:
Premium Features